Pups/wiring for Epi LP

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by guitarputt83, Jul 28, 2007.

1. guitarputt83

guitarputt83 Senior Member

Greetings everyone,

I never swapped out pickups before so I thought I'd get some advice before I do. I would like some advice on what pickups and wiring upgrade will help me with my tone quest. I'm running an Epi LP Plus into a Fender Twin. I play classic rock and blues. I'm trying to get close to guys like Mick Ralphs, Mick Taylor, Peter Green, Paul Kossof, etc....

-Putt:slash:

2. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I upgraded my Epi Plaintop with DiMarzio's and I'm happy with the sound I get from them. I have a DP100 super distortion in the bridge (Ace Frehley used 3 of these in his LP), and a PAF in the neck.
    I didn't swap out the pots or the wiring ....yet. There are lots of experts on here that can reccommend some of the best pup and wiring schemes. I think the CTS pots are your best bet, with braided wiring, but you'll also have to drill the pot shaft holes, as the Epi pot shafts are smaller.

Replacing pickups is one of the easiest things. Just follow the directions that the manufacturer encloses in the package. Don't be intimidated.
    After all, if you mess up, you can always take it to a professional if you have to.

3. PoorMan

PoorMan Senior Member

Welcom, Putt.

As far as upgrading (besides pickups) get some good quality pots and caps like CTS and Orange Drops.

For pickups I'm going to push for one of our forum bros here. There are some guys here who can make you some killer pickups (some at very good prices). Look into the boutique pickup winder sticky above.

I wind pickups (only for myself at this time) and wish I'd been exposed to guys like Dave Stephens, Spence (Nugget) and Zhangliqun when I was buying pickups from the big factories. These guys know their stuff.

4. GuitarGal

GuitarGal Senior Member

:wave: Putt~

Welcome here~ :rock:

5. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

6. guitarputt83

guitarputt83 Senior Member

Thanks for the advice guys