Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Frogfur, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Digger

Digger Dingo Lover! V.I.P. Member

I don't have a horse in this race and in fact my ignorance of Peurto Rico is massive so I don't know what is right and what is fiction (I didn't even realise that they were US citizens until I opened this thread)

However playing the blame game is often carried out to deflect responsibility from ones self.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

If those trailers are sitting there who drove them to Puerto Rico in the first place?

3. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I'm tangentially involved in a project, rebuilding a Caribbean nation that was destroyed by a natural disaster several years back. The place was f*cked before the disaster and more so, after. You can guess of where I speak. A sh*t-ton of money was raised (by people who were supposed to be the good guys) and jack sh*t got done, other than a lot of that money went somewhere else. They got $13B in earthquake aid and they don't have sh*t to show for it, 7+ years later. Everyone poured their hearts out in the wake of the disaster and there was no shortage of money raised or heavyweights involved. There, the big problem was local govt AND a local govt that was easily rolled by big players - followed by US govt style project management (hint: does not interface well with nongovernmental groups).

What usually happens is, regardless of the response, the hue and cry goes up, awareness and money are raised. The people raising and disbursing the money do just fine, but bureaucracy, greed and other human traits get in the way.

Shortly after the earthquake, a very close friend of mine was a big wheel at a big charity for rebuilding. I called her and said that I would like to help. I have 20 years of telecom experience and have access to all of the major and minor players throughout the industry. She (govt insider type) said something about restricting profits and red tape, blah, blah, blah. I said, "I'll do it for free. So, take the red tape and cram it" (in a nice way). She said that's fine, you still have to do all the red tape. I said "No thanks." I can volunteer my time, expertise, relationships and money, but I can't commit to weeks worth of paperwork, tens of thousands in legal bills, just to get to the point where they'll allow me to contribute. F*** that.

Fast forward five years. Jack sh*t has been done. All the big players who where there at the start got paid and got lost. A representative of the govt reached out to me and said something to the effect "I heard you had some ideas that might help us..." So, we cut out all of the middle men and the US govt and my group is working directly with their govt. They move slow as molasses but at least they are moving.

4. ramaglia375

ramaglia375 Premium Member

Well Dave we were all going to BUT....well...you know...

5b3ebbe1107b46432b910b52ffe23697.jpg

5. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Victor had already shown up also.

Malikon likes this.
  6. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Sure did. Hours ago.

Malikon and LtDave32 like this.
  7. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Dave was showing up a little late apparently.

8. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

The vultures will invest. They will pay pennies on the dollar. They will do anything they can to make things worse, buy it all up dirt cheap, and won't lose a minute worth of sleep.

HeartString likes this.
  9. VictorB

I must be in invisible mode lol.

LtDave32 likes this.
  10. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

... n/m

northernguitarguy likes this.
  11. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Stealth mods are scary.

12. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

Yeah, because I had $hit to do at work on my "supposed" day off.

And this place at this point, *shouldn't* need a babysitter.

Even though Vic made his presence known early, it still jumped off.

When a mod shows up, it's best to put a cork in the bull$hit around here.

HeartString, KP11520 and VictorB like this.
  13. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

Jeeze ....I go on a short vacation and the whole $zit house goes up in flames.....

Hey they are a US territory, we should have deployed a team from FEMA to at lest get the ball rolling over there.

I don't know the details, and I didn't read the whole thread.....

HeartString likes this.
  14. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Yeah, but what if the babysitter is really HOT? LOL (It could happen!) :dunno:

MikeyTheCat likes this.
  15. Chester Drawers

Chester Drawers Senior Member

Took me a moment, but.... :rofl:

truckermde, redjunior and HeartString like this.
  16. parts

parts Senior Member

Firstly the Human condition needs to be helped dramatically. Then some long term thoughts about what happens to Puerto Rico as it is largely demolished.

Puerto Rico may need a complete Marshall Plan type rebuild as we did for Europe.. Yes we spent billions in Europe which largely was developed by US firms and Companies as all the main infrastructure was demolished, that was the "draw" for the capital long term.
    In 1898, Puerto Rico was a colony of Spain. In 1898, Spain lost the Spanish-American war and gave Puerto Rico and Guam to the United States. Cuba was made a protectorate of the U.S., and the U.S. bought the Philippines.

Cuba and the Philippines became independent countries. Puerto Rico became a territory, as did Guam, and in 1917, the people of Puerto Rico were granted U.S. citizenship as residents of an unincorporated territory of the United States. 25,000 soldiers from Puerto Rico were drafted to WWI coincidentally in 1917.

Guam is a major Military base, Puerto Rico is not necessary for that purpose and has largely been left to fend for itself, rightly or wrongly. We kept Puerto Rico for 120 years and did little to elevate our "territory" to any modern American status even as poor as some of the poorest areas of some of the states.

Last time I was there..as tourism is the main money generator..I was wondering IF San Juan could be another Vegas.. A Monaco in the Caribbean..
    There is little hope for factories..a 100 x30 mile island has limited choices. The infrastructure and investment in an island tourist Las Vegas certainly would change whatever culture will be left after many US Citizens of Puerto Roco come to the mainland to live.

There needs to be a Draw for the capital to be drawn to develop. Not many options..

staffy, redjunior and SteveGangi like this.
  17. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

I am really hot. It all depends on one's perspective.

18. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Frogfur thread

Shelbyblues and VictorB like this.
  19. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

If you have something to say..
    Say it to my face. Both of you.

20. VictorB

I think it’s already been said 100 times in this thread.

#selectivereading

truckermde, Shelbyblues and FennRx like this.