Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Frogfur, Sep 30, 2017.

1. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

From FPL's site (Florida Power and Light):

It's $651.49 if you want your own house line buried by FPL plus whatever an electrician would charge for the associated work.

However-

"For system reliability reasons, FPL will only convert the (your personal) system to underground if one full block or more is converted at the same time. FPL's typical underground system is a "looped" system, which means power can be supplied to the same transformer from two different directions. Depending on the location, more than one block may need to be converted in order to complete this "loop."

On a bigger scale-

"The two key drivers contributing to the cost calculations are labor and materials. Depending on these factors, underground facilities can cost anywhere from $500,000 per mile to more than $4 million per mile."

But the conversion task for neighborhoods isn't hopeless: "Already more than one-third of the neighborhood power lines in FPL’s system are underground." It just takes investment, and FPL has been shy about doing it for far too long. Not an impossible task.

2. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Electric public utilities are like the airlines -- rip off artists. They are subject to regulation by the states, and the states can force them to bury their distribution lines if they only had the guts to do so. In Tulsa, OK (tornado and ice storm country) the utility volunteered to begin putting distribution lines underground, if the regulatory agency would allow them a small per-customer surcharge. The regulators approved it, and everybody there is happy about it as I understand. This incident involves a slow gradual process. But as I said, if you don't start, you'll never get done. The utilities like to ignore the high cost of maintaining overhead lines that they would save with underground lines.

3. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I heard Germany is a lousy town.
    :)

Caleb, ehb, Donal and 1 other person like this.
  4. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Florida isn't PR, you can not compare the cost or ease of doing it. It is NOT the same thing.

pnuggett and northernguitarguy like this.
  5. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

Never said Florida was PR. Both my posts were mainly about Florida. Previously I said "If you're broke like PR, they certainly can't afford to bury lines, it's more expensive than just putting up poles"....

Florida's population and infrastructure are better off than PR, no argument there.

6. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

This many pages and not one reference?

But, what about the RUM? :slap:

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I'm guilty of it, apparently, after reading some of the more insightful posts here since my participation this morning. Read more and post less would probably be a good idea for me -- not that I'm baling out of the thread, just aiming to be more thoughtful myself.

8. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

M&M,
    A little OT, but not much. The part of Germany we toured in 2015 and 2016 was so impressive to me where infrastructure is concerned. Not only were the power lines underground where they belong, but the place was full of solar panels and wind generators along with road widening projects. And the bridges there look like they will be around in a thousand years. The scenery was impressive, and the beer was to die for. And I don't think the guy who said Germany was a lousy town was even there -- or ever had been there.

HearHear,
    Would you rather run a trenching machine for a couple of hundred feet, put wire in the bottom, and backfill with a tractor -- or would you rather set two tall poles with cross arms on them, and climb them to string wire on them? I like the former better, and us dolebludgers don't like work!

KP,
    I used to work for an electric utility, so I know a thing or two about them and how they operate.

KP11520 and Marshall & Moonshine like this.
  9. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Glad to see you around. How'd you handle Harvey? Things okay there?

10. 60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI

60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI Senior Member

I honestly don't know the in's and out's of what's going on. But I'd hate to be in the situation the people are, can't even imagine. What bothers me is the debt comment though. How many countries are we in debt to now? Sure hope we don't need their help someday...

11. Fiat Lux

Fiat Lux Senior Member

At last...

Someone pulling their weight.

Cheers

12. Marshall & Moonshine

I actually had a wonderful time in Germany.
    If I owned that bar, I’d have kicked me out, too.
    :)

ehb and Dolebludger like this.
  13. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

*Mod Note*

I just now entered this thread and read through it.

What a damn mess. Froggy, you need to think before you post. And if you've come in swingin' for a fight of some kind, you've come to the wrong shop.

Please don't come into the forum with an ugly gripe that's going to piss everyone off.

Actually (all you) fellas, I would have preferred a report on this as soon as the trouble started.

14. Marshall & Moonshine

15. Shelbyblues

Shelbyblues Senior Member

Just so there is no misunderstanding my post wasn't directed toward you.

You're cool with me. :cool2:

I was speaking in general terms in that post, not singling anyone out.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  16. Marshall & Moonshine

I’ve tried at times to appear wise by remaining silent, but my face is always a dead giveaway.

Chilli, Thumpalumpacus, ehb and 4 others like this.
  17. Shelbyblues

Shelbyblues Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  18. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

That still doesn't answer my VERY important question..... What about the RUM? LOL

Rob and Dave would've had only half the vacation a couple weeks back without it! :rolleyes:

(Just funnin witchya!) :cheers:

19. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Don't worry Dave, Froggy's cool now, off in a new direction:

20. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

Sooooooooooooo, aside from that Mrs. Lincoln,.........................................How was the Play?