Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Frogfur, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I like potatoes.

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

A new preparedness seems in order. Thinking prior to this event didn't contemplate total destruction and how to respond? More and more of these storms are predicted based on scientific evidence. Europe and the US have their possessions there and it's time to think about what's next. Is it worth it? Who right now in their right mind would invest in the Caribbean? It would be a complete gamble on the path of the next major hurricane, coming soon.

SteveGangi, Z2112, Frogfur and 2 others like this.
  3. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

The statistics on media coverage is very telling too . . .

4. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Hence making it easy and faster. It's not a cut and dry fix. You act like we've done nothing, or it was our mainland that set up their shitty infrastructure. The fact that it's an island makes it all the more difficult. We've got even more vessels on the way now as we speak probably minutes from Port. The Jones act was waved. Over 10k people on the ground. What more do you want? It's a tough situation, but calling the response shameful is seeing what you want to see and ignoring facts.

Caleb, cybermgk, Rob H. and 7 others like this.
  5. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

Terrible situation. I went there a couple of years ago and can only imagine what has become of some of the places we saw...the old fort at San Juan and the big luxury hotel there--fanciest I've ever seen in my life. I didn't stay there but the friend I was visiting wanted me to see it. I've been unable to contact him. Pretty hard to understand what all the snags are but if truck drivers is the problem it seems they could be trucked in from the US?

6. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

As with any issue, it depends whose facts. Everyone says their "facts" are empirical.
    Why so long to waive the Jones act? Why are banks getting in on this at this stage of horror.
    Just wrong. They are humans, they need help. Not the time to compare their worth to other
    humans.

7. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

So easy to judge when you don't have to use facts.

Chilli, SteveGangi and Frogfur like this.
  8. Crotch

Oh jeez

9. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

So nice to be able to sit in our warm, comfortable homes and armchair quarterback the devastation of an entire island and the misery of millions of people.

Surely we have all the facts and know exactly who deserves all the blame for an act of God that is unparalleled in recorded history.

Yay us.

[​IMG]

10. Byron999

Byron999 Senior Member

"Safety is no accident"

Frogfur likes this.
  11. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

Human history is a mighty long time so I'm not sure on that statement but I'm not sure what good it does to blame and shame unless it somehow gets the ball rolling faster. There is undoubtedly a bit of "tragedy fatigue" both in terms of psychology and brass tacks re these weather related things coming one upon the next. Hard to fathom the reality viewing through a computer screen or television set. OTOH, the things that we do and are focusing on at the same time are telling.

Frogfur and lemmy loud like this.
  12. LPMarshall Hack

LPMarshall Hack Senior Member

Lol

truckermde, Shelbyblues and danohat like this.
  13. Shelbyblues

Shelbyblues Senior Member

So...when are you leaving to go help those folks out?

It's easy to sit back and bitch about "other people" not doing enough while in the comfort of your own home.

MCSteeler, KP, THDNUT and 4 others like this.
  14. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

This a false narrative, as discussed in the other thread.

What has happened with the three Storms (Irma, Jose and Maria) has been terrible. It is offensive to see various groups try to politicize the recovery effort. The US Navy was diverted to the area, behind Irma which predated Maria. So, they were in the region already, delivering assistance to Irma victims. To describe the response as anything other than a massive as it can be, given the destruction of the infrastructure necessary to support logistics, is intellectually dishonest.

That doesn't help those people in need who haven't got it yet, but it's the truth. I have some friends in San Juan. They have a 1,000 gallon auxiliary water tank for situations like this. They have had it as long as I have known them (25 years). They know that they are vulnerable and that if the big one hits, it may take a while for help to get to them. That is what happens, when you live on a rock right in the path of the Atlantic hurricane traffic.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    cybermgk, MCSteeler, Chilli and 21 others like this.
  15. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

^^^^ this is awesomeness ^^^^

Sp8ctre, Tone deaf, Frogfur and 2 others like this.
  16. Shelbyblues

Shelbyblues Senior Member

He got it right... because he knows the facts.

Sp8ctre, Tone deaf and TheX like this.
  17. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

May they recover quickly. Think for a minute what it must be like... 6 inches of water in your home, think of how horribly polluted that water is... No electricity or running water. No light at the end of the tunnel. No way to get out, can't just drive away, no gas anyway. No supermarket to shop at, no schools open. Have to rely on others for the basics. Etc.. etc.. NO amount of preparation will save you from a cat 4 or 5 hurricane. Extra water storage only lasts so long and good luck cooking without electricity or plumbing or gas. Only evacuation guarantees safety.

However, evacuating is never easy especially with family. You don't want to leave your home. You hold out hope for a forecast track shift at the last minute. What many don't realize is that predicting the exact track of the eye of the hurricane is utterly impossible far in advance. The track could shift within a couple short hours of hitting where it was supposed to hit previously. Look at Irma- people thought it was going to be a direct hit on Miami. Then it shifted west...then a little east....then west again....then more west... then it slammed into the Keys and into the Gulf before coming ashore near Naples on the west coast. If your area is dead center in the Hurricane Center's cone track 5 days in advance, it's almost a blessing because you know the track will shift in those 5 days and there's a good chance you won't be dead center in the cone anymore once the hurricane approaches. That's why people don't evacuate so fast. (That and the thought of being stranded on a clogged interstate during the storm.) But people in PR didn't even have the luxury to drive away. I really feel for them.

Frogfur and northernguitarguy like this.
  18. Crotch

The only reason I commented is because I don't think the US mainland or governments response has been shameful in any way. My apologies if it came off cold. I'm not that way. I can just do without the moral outrage in these situations.

Is it possible we're stretched a little thin dealing with 3 storms at once?
    Does it make it more difficult that it's an island that has been completely destroyed-twice?
    Have we ever even had a tragedy like this where an island has been almost completely wiped out? Meaning do we need to reevaluate a plan? Maybe. Maybe a combo of all the above makes it not perfect in some eyes.

Everything the governor has asked for he's received from us. From food, medical, generators, Jones act waived, we're now bringing phone poles and supplies to try to help get the the grid up. All of this in what, 10 days.? I'd say based on what happened along with proximity we're doing damn good.

Theres going to be injury, disease, loss of life. It's just a sad fact. I'm hoping it's minimized as much as possible and we continue to work with PR.

But shameful, not so much. And then you have the feeling police, media and blame for political gain which helps no one in the end. The I care more than you fight is a dumb one.

cybermgk, MCSteeler, KP and 11 others like this.
  19. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Listen buddy, I'm rated at over 70% I can barely mow,a yard. Your able, what's your excuse ?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  20. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

The beef is, the pi**ing/popularity contest raging at the same time slowed things down.
    A lot of time went by while that contest raged. Some are saying almost a whole week.
    The 'facts" you believe will determine your view of this undesirable event.

SteveGangi and Frogfur like this.