Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Frogfur, Sep 30, 2017.

1. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

And at this point they're not leaving much behind as the island is devastated in many ways. I know it's their home but a lot of them will figure it's now time to get out.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  2. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

So all of Puerto Rico moves to the mainland US and we just use it for storage?
    They’re citizens, so I guess it’s their prerogative.

3. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

Relocate people who enter the US illegally to Puerto Rico after it's evacuated.

You wanted to live in the United States? Here you go. Enjoy your stay.

4. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I’m not sure they’d fit.

5. iavera

iavera Senior Member

well that was something...

Let me tell you, you read a whole lot in the news, fiscal crisis, now hurricanes etc...you won't find a country more resilient.

I am from Puerto Rico, left 10 yrs ago before this whole "exodus" thing started, wasn't planning on. There was an university recruiter in campus I decided to give it a shot, why not? I was about to graduate from undergrad, he offered me an interview at their campus...took it and well here I am havent' been back other than for vacation etc, I have my family here in the US now and truthfully I have no reason to go back except 1) I do miss my family and the overall environment much nicer and warm (not just the weather) 2) honestly, is a great place to live. I just already have my life over here but I do miss home. It's just sad what's going on, I've only talked to my family once since the hurricane went through, they are doing the best they can but is tough...they'll come through it's going to take some time and MOST people don't really want to leave anyway, is not easy to leave your country and then "hope for the best"...alright, just my 2 cents.

Scooter2112 and Malikon like this.
  6. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

In best Dr. Evil voice....We'll MAKE them fit even if we have to miniaturize every last one of them!!!

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  7. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

Would we still have to bail them out?:naughty:

8. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

Finally just got a call from our friends in PR. They are OK but won't have power possibly for 6 months or more. They have a generator and are now able to get to Fajardo for fuel and food. The mountain road they take is just barely passable. ATM lines are really long and it's basically a cash economy. They said the island looks like an atomic bomb was dropped on it. They had storm shutters on their house yet, due to air pressure, the glass in three large windows was shattered. One of the storm shutters itself was ripped from the house. Who knows how long that will be before they can be replaced. Their water is supplied by an underground spring so they are OK with that. They said that I know what is going on in PR more than they do. They have only been able to get one AM station in Spanish. No weather reports are available to them.
    They are under a lot of stress and know they have a long haul to get back to anything near normal.

9. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

It's been a couple months since Maria. My Friends still don't have power other than their generator. No internet. Sketchy phone service. They were able to buy a propane on demand water heater so they had their first hot shower in two months.

Meanwhile Puerto Rico is proving why they are and were in such a piss poor condition. It's unbelievable how screwed up they are.
    They are asking the U.S. Gov for 94 billion dollars!!! They are already in debt for over 75 billion dollars and are unable to make payments on that. People are leaving and coming to the mainland in droves.
    -----------------------------------
    In a report submitted to Congress, Mr. Rosselló requested $15 billion for health care, without specifying what medical facilities needed to be fixed. He said the island needed another $8.4 billion for schools, without noting what damages the schools had incurred. The power grid, he said, needs $17.7 billion.

“I’m looking at this — 90 billion, 100 billion — a colony on Mars is the same amount,” said Representative Jody Hice, Republican of Georgia, said at a House Natural Resources Committee hearing.
    ---------------------------------------

Then there is the Whitefish fiasco

A review by The New York Times showed the company was paying some subcontractors about one-seventh what it billed Prepa. The contract called for linemen to work 16-hour days and seven-day weeks at $319 an hour — 17 times the average wage of the Puerto Rican workers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/...n=latest&contentPlacement=3&pgtype=collection

Crotch likes this.
  10. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I'll go do that job for $319/hour...which is exactly why they are paying so much. They have to attract skilled linemen away from better (in terms of location, living and work conditions) jobs on the mainland. They have to go live in a tent in a third world country and work their asses off.

That's the only way it will get done.

Caleb and northernguitarguy like this.
  11. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

Isn't that only what they're billing though? The linemen are only getting paid something like $45/hr, which isn't all that great all things considered. I think they're skimming the rest. Fyi, I only read the blurb :laugh2:

12. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I thought that was what the linemen were getting paid...$45/hr to live in those conditions isn't that attractive. On the mainland, that would be great. The conditions and additional risks, etc. make it less attractive.

There is no problem with them keeping the difference between what the govt will pay and their employees will accept.

13. fett

fett Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

What if Guam or Hawaii were hit with the "Whopper"? They are US citizens. We have islands and we have to do what is right. PR's debt is a long lasting legacy of bad policy that worked for decades. Tax-Free bonds and General Obligations.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  14. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

The problem is with Puerto Rico's history of corruption and dreadful mismanagement. They let the island fall into shambles and economic dependence. Give them 95 billion dollars and watch it go to corruption and waste. The educated and employable people have been leaving the island for years in record numbers. Even faster now.I don't know the answer but just throwing money at them won't work for long unless some major changes take place.

Take a look at this
    https://qz.com/1091341/puerto-ricos-eye-popping-economic-situation-in-charts/