Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Frogfur, Sep 30, 2017.

1. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

And at this point they're not leaving much behind as the island is devastated in many ways. I know it's their home but a lot of them will figure it's now time to get out.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  2. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

So all of Puerto Rico moves to the mainland US and we just use it for storage?
    They’re citizens, so I guess it’s their prerogative.

3. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

Relocate people who enter the US illegally to Puerto Rico after it's evacuated.

You wanted to live in the United States? Here you go. Enjoy your stay.

4. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I’m not sure they’d fit.

5. iavera

iavera Senior Member

well that was something...

Let me tell you, you read a whole lot in the news, fiscal crisis, now hurricanes etc...you won't find a country more resilient.

I am from Puerto Rico, left 10 yrs ago before this whole "exodus" thing started, wasn't planning on. There was an university recruiter in campus I decided to give it a shot, why not? I was about to graduate from undergrad, he offered me an interview at their campus...took it and well here I am havent' been back other than for vacation etc, I have my family here in the US now and truthfully I have no reason to go back except 1) I do miss my family and the overall environment much nicer and warm (not just the weather) 2) honestly, is a great place to live. I just already have my life over here but I do miss home. It's just sad what's going on, I've only talked to my family once since the hurricane went through, they are doing the best they can but is tough...they'll come through it's going to take some time and MOST people don't really want to leave anyway, is not easy to leave your country and then "hope for the best"...alright, just my 2 cents.

Malikon likes this.
  6. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

In best Dr. Evil voice....We'll MAKE them fit even if we have to miniaturize every last one of them!!!

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  7. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

Would we still have to bail them out?:naughty:

8. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

Finally just got a call from our friends in PR. They are OK but won't have power possibly for 6 months or more. They have a generator and are now able to get to Fajardo for fuel and food. The mountain road they take is just barely passable. ATM lines are really long and it's basically a cash economy. They said the island looks like an atomic bomb was dropped on it. They had storm shutters on their house yet, due to air pressure, the glass in three large windows was shattered. One of the storm shutters itself was ripped from the house. Who knows how long that will be before they can be replaced. Their water is supplied by an underground spring so they are OK with that. They said that I know what is going on in PR more than they do. They have only been able to get one AM station in Spanish. No weather reports are available to them.
    They are under a lot of stress and know they have a long haul to get back to anything near normal.