Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Frogfur, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

There is zero evidence of truck drivers on strike in PR -. Teamsters or not. But now it is clear that the Teamsters have recruited truck drivers to go to PR and take relief supplies where they are needed. Provided the trucks have fuel and provided the roads are clear. But there has to be a start in solving the logistical problems there.

As to whether people are dying in PR, I'm sure there are. But how many won't be known for some time.

2. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

You're right. We all get caught from time to time.

MikeyTheCat likes this.
  3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

They are missing water, food, electricity and gas.
    Overcrowding in so so ok buildings is causing infection and disease transmission.
    As far as I'm concerned, they can whine and it's not whining.

4. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Big difference between whining and asking for help.

parts and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  5. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

It's not "they" who are whining, but a mayor who thinks she's the smartest person in the room, micromanages and likes photo ops. And is like feeling overwhelmed.

6. Shelbyblues

Shelbyblues Senior Member

Her brain is working overtime just to keep her lungs functioning.

7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Yeah, things are so f'd up they have no way to account for huge numbers of people. No communication on the whole island, impassable roads, stranded people facing darkness, flood waters, and more. No taking advantage of the sportsmen and women who sprang into action in Houston and did so much heavy lifting out of the goodness of their hearts. No stadiums or super-churches owned by douchebags to find refuge.

It will be a while yet before the extent of death and human suffering is fully revealed. I so hope I'm wrong and would bet against this, but I believe the toll will be staggering.

parts, SteveGangi and Bobby Mahogany like this.
  8. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Let’s face it, outside of the tourist areas it’s been a pretty rough place. So no surprise that there are few white knights coming to the island.

Scooter2112 and pnuggett like this.
  9. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

Well I have to wonder what she was doing walking around in that water with a megaphone. At least the guy was smart enough to use a kayak. I call photo op.

Crotch likes this.
  10. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

There were multiple sources who pointed out that the mayor of SJ never set foot in the FEMA control center, before running in front of the cameras and lashing out about resources. 'nuff said.

11. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Asking for help is not whining, but bitching that Uncle Sam isn't doing enough for you is whining.

12. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

I'll just add that, even more so if you happen to be the person in charge of local operations and do essentially nothing on your end. Not even bothering to interact with Fed resources.

I'd say get this useless biotch out of the way, but the Feds can't do much without local consent.

pnuggett and Malikon like this.
  13. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

14. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

If the local and state folks aren't prepared for a disaster and they have no resources/infrastructure or plans, then the people who live in their area of governance will suffer mightily when the disaster hits. The feds aren't magic...FEMA just marshalls resources and manages. On the ground here after the storm, the majority of the recovery efforts were made by local and state folks. Cops, sheriffs, firemen, WalMart, HEB, etc. A month after the storm, the place still looks like a bomb went off.

15. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

woops. I didn't notice they were buck'ed nek'ed. :laugh2: It was all grainy B&W. Guess I should've looked more closely. :laugh2:

Scooter2112 and Tone deaf like this.
  16. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

100% true. She chose the wrong route. And it will be proven to have failed miserably.

Cool shirts though.

17. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

There is a protest planned in San Juan today as the POTUS arrives. I'm curious how much time and effort went into organizing the protest and how much time will be spent by how many hundreds or thousands of people who could be helping with the cleanup while they instead put their efforts into making it a political issue.

18. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

It is the mayor's job to get aid for her town. Any way she can. If p!ssing people off will get it done, so be it.

19. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

Unfortunately it did nothing but make her look like an idiot to her fellow leaders who on the record said she had no clue what she was talking about cause she didn't even visit the FEMA response center. She chose to make shirts and be political. there is nothing cool, heroic, or helpful about that-at all.

20. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

It was the mayor's job to prepare her city for the storm. It was her job to make sure that food and water was stockpiled in shelters and that her people were ready and able to distribute what they had on hand after the storm passed. She failed at her job before the storm...but she's making up for it by getting cool tshirts and wading in the water to hug people.