PSA: Waves Diamond Bundle 90% off Retail $299.00

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by AllTheSound, Nov 16, 2017.

1. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Normally it's $2999.00. Not sure how long the $299 deal is good for but its a no brainer for the 65 plugins you get and you get free updates for 1 year to boot! Best buy i made all year :)

[​IMG]

2. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

This does look like a hell of a deal.

I like the Waves plugins. I bought the Gold bundle last year on sale.

Like any bundle, you probably won't use most of it, because you'll settle in on your favorites. But with Waves, sale prices are usually in the range of $30 for one of the more important plugins. So $300, would likely get just about everything you'd need at the equivalent of buying 10 separate plugins on sale. And you can get it all at once and not wait for that reverb you have your eye on to go on sale.

AllTheSound likes this.
  3. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Do they still have that wup upgrade plan? the annual fee to be eligible for upgrades turned me off way back when I was buying plug ins.

filtersweep likes this.
  4. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I hated mixing with waves plug ins, it took way too long to get results that were "committable" as in, "I don'y have to touch this anymore", that's the best I can describe it. Going a la carte with a couple of plug in vendors (McDSP, Audio ease, Isotope, Avid) has increased my efficiency a really great deal, cutting mixing time in half, easily.
    Their pultech stuff was good though.

5. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by a "wup" upgrade plan. As far as I know, there's no need to update or upgrade anything. Just like any other software. If you want you can subscribe to a yearly plan that apparently allows you free upgrades and if it is a bundle, you get any new additions to that bundle. But no reason you have to. The plugins don't stop working.

I've had some individual Waves plugins for a while that I've never paid to upgrade. I bought the Gold bundle about a year ago. And am just now considering whether to buy the upgrade plan our not. From what I can tell, you can buy back into that anytime you want. But if I buy in now, before mine expires, I get a 25% discount. If that is how it works, I'm likely to NOT do it. May never feel the need, or only need to the next time MS decided to "improve" the OS and breaks everything.

I don't understand this. They have a wide range of plug ins. You can have something with as many possible options as one would ever need, or they have it right down to their "One Knob" series which is just that, a single knob to give you very usable results with nothing more than the turn of a single knob.

6. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

Sound Toys is offering a FREE [for a few more days] nice, interesting sounding and worth getting Plate Reverb.

7. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Sometimes I miss the days of working more in the retail side of the industry and getting NFR codes and dealer-dongles. Quite a discount they are running!

8. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Oh, that's easy to explain, just remember that it's only one man's opinion.
    Let me give you one example, even though it's not Waves related, but the principle is the same. I spend a good amount of my time at work mixing on a Euphonix System 5, a great console that was used as a template for protools free channelstrip. The knob set is the same but the channelstrip doesn't sound like the hardware at all, not even remotely so. The dynamics and EQ of the S5 is in a class of it's own IMHO while the channelstrip sounds like dirt. It isn't about how many buttons you have, it's about how many knobs to turn for how long to get results you can commit to and move on. If I use McDSP's G channel I find that I tweak for about 10 seconds to dial it in and never look back while with the channelstrip I dial forever and still have to go back for re-tweaks and it ends up sounding worse. The waves stuff always struck me the same way, yeah, it has the same knobs as the gear it's trying to emulate or it has its own new approach to signal processing which looks very powerful on the GUI but we don't listen to a GUI. My #1 concern about plugins is "how fast can I get results I like that I won't have to revisit again" and I find that a great deal of plug in developers fail miserably in that department. Again, just one man's opinion.

9. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

They basically offer a subscription. I have some crazy bundle- have to pay hundreds annually to get service or upgrades. It is all fine and good to let it lapse- until they change their copy protection again.

10. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Good friend has had a bunch of Waves stuff for years, he never paid any upgrade fee, and had zero issues when they did their big change to authorization a year or two back. I don't get the impression Waves has an particularly unusual restrictions. And if they did change their copy protection, I would think the old stuff would still work the old way. I'm sure they don't break the system, then demand you pay them so it will work again.

Now MS may change the OS in some way, that then would require you to get the latest versions. But that's true of any software.

Anyway, I certainly will not argue with you if you have experience to the contrary. And in fact would be interested in specifics.

11. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

They make great gear- no doubt. Their annual plan is capped at $300. Thats their goal- sell you everything and get you to pay annually. They need to make a living too.

I have been a customer for 20 years. They originally used serial port dongles.