PSA: Unscrupulous Dealer Listing Refinished Guitar as "Pristine Mint Condition"

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by Thunder Dump, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Senior Member

The guitar is a 2007 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition Silverburst, serial number GC 117. This FL dealer listed the guitar as "Showcase Mint" and "Pristine Condition" with original case and case candy. Here is the current listing on eBay (since I returned it he has relisted it). It was also listed on Reverb. The serial # is blanked out, and either the top was photoshopped or these are pics from a different guitar:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=192154057288

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought this guitar through Reverb. Dealer wanted to use Paypal outside of Reverb (I'm assuming to avoid seller fees), so I complied. When I received it, I immediately noticed three things: the guitar and case absolutely stunk of polyurethane or some other chemical, the case was not the same as the one in the listing, and there was no case candy at all. I then noticed one significant mark on the top. I then realized the photos weren't of the same guitar. All this made me start doing some research. After some sleuthing, I found this listing on Reverb from about a month prior from a different dealer in CA:

https://webcache.googleusercontent....00-2007-silverburst+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Notice that the actual guitar was anything but mint. In fact, it was quite beat. Some quick photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This guitar had been extensively buffed and refinished was sold to me as original but in mint, pristine, condition, and was priced as such (it was listed by the FL dealer over $1000 higher than the original Reverb listing from the CA dealer).

Here are three pictures of the guitar as I received it. Note most of the checking in the top has been buffed out, the buckle rash on the back has been buffed out, the chip on the back of the headstock has been fixed, but the biggest scratches are still there (but photoshopped or different top in the FL listing):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have since returned the guitar and am awaiting the final disposition of a refund from the dealer.

In summary, buyer beware of 2007 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition Silverburst #117 of 400. It is a refinished beater.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  2. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

WTF mint condition means mint condition. Some people suck. It's a shame, as the photoshopped guitar looks stunning.

3. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Why am I not surprised , about dealer in Florida not telling the truth ? :eek2::hyper:

It's not like, that's not normal here ... Wild Wild West ,should come to mind when thinking about FL.
    Not saying all dealers are bad and dishonest , as there are many good and upstanding 1's , But even at the good 1's I've seen stuff sold new , come back into the store a month later( that's the return policy) and resold as new ,with the same New price .... Only the guitar was changed . Not original set up and after that point would bother to look under the hood ...

I can't see how anyone would think a 2007 guitar in 2017 , is possibly "mint" ... :facepalm: