PSA CME 335s

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by djsuckapunch, Feb 20, 2018.

1. budg

budg Senior Member

I think the Gibson Custom Shop misconception started with Gibson itself. I have a 2012 335 that was made in Memphis , but came with a "Gibson Custom" case and a COA from "Gibson Custom". However the "Gibson Custom Shop" is different than "Gibson Custom." No wonder there is confusion. Nice looking guitar though no matter where its made.

2. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Interesting. Not that I don't think Gibson adds to the confusion, yours is the first I've heard of a Memphis 335 coming with a COA that says "Gibson Custom". Silly me, but are your sure it is not a Custom Shop 335? Serial number?

3. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

my 2009 339 came with a gibson custom coa and case. there is a difference between "gibson custom shop" and "gibson custom." the memphis plant is technically called "gibson memphis custom" which is why they can get away with calling their guitars "custom" without them being historic, vos, ect...

4. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Then Gibson is indeed pretty much causing the confusion. So some (apparently pre 2014) Memphis and Custom Shop both have COAs that say "Gibson Custom". A "Gibson Custom" COA certainly does not authenticate a Custom Shop issue.

5. johnnytuinals

johnnytuinals Senior Member

I got a list from CME (I am sure others have also}for the NEW Custom Shop ES336 in TV Yellow and other colors for $2500 in New Seal Gibson boxes.Seems kinda cheap but don't need another guitar since I just bought a ES335 in Natural Figured and a ES330 in Natural 1961 VOS with Bigsby.....I mean money is never a problem but I know the case will be getting dust on it as with all the other guitars that are on my profile lol.......JT

6. rtTX

rtTX Member

Those all mahogany CS-336's with the P90's/Wrap Trail combo are quite interesting. Much like the regular CS-336 with their all-maple top they sound a lot more Les Paulish than ES - about 75% LP and 25% ES by my rough estimation.

As one might expect, on the bridge pup the all mahogany/P90/WT 336 can sound very Junior-like but more complex - still raunchy but less low-fi (if that makes sense?).

I like that they only produced 50 of each color: TV White Yellow & Black + Walnut Cherry. I bought a "TV Yellow" and the only thing I don't love about it that they really missed the mark on the color.

It's not ugly by any means, and if they'd called it "Natural" I'd have still purchased it and had nothing to complain about.

But IMO a true, semi-translucent "TV Yellow" would have looked awesome with the light cream binding.

Construction, finish and setup were flawless. In interested , click on PDF for samples & specs...

Attached Files: