PRS SC 58..has Paul gone too far?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by shtdaprdtr, Oct 25, 2010.

1. roxrob

roxrob Member

Hi

I have a great looking 2000 Gary Moore Sig Les Paul and a 2001 pre-lawsuit PRS Singlecut in McCarty Burst finish.

Acoustically the Les Paul sounds great but whatever pickups I try, the amplified sound is somewhat lacking...although after nearly 11 years it is getting there..

Conversly, the PRS sounds crap acoustically (very middly- almost like a rubber band over a shoebox!!) although it vibrates like an earthquake when you strum it unplugged, but amplified at the same settings as the Lester sounds somewhat "generic". I tried about 7 PRS's before I bought this one, and I have to say that this was the only one that I "connected with". My wife being the amazing woman she is, and appreciating a musicians feelings about a certain instrument said "you'd better buy it then, put it on the credit card"

(She said the same with my daughters Sax and Oboe (both very pricey- but you can hear the difference between a good one and a medeocre one in both cases). Unfortunately I had to pay for them...) Just to put this into some perspective, a friend just bought her son a second hand French Horn for £6000!!!!!!

Surely guitars are cheap eh guys???

The next plan is to try the PRS pickups in the lester and vice-versa, will this work I wonder???

Will keep you posted

Rob

2. richedie

richedie Senior Member

They look pretty but still not even close to as sexy as a Les Paul.
    I have some guys say the SC58 has more punch and depth than a Les Paul but most of my favorite guitarists use LPs and do not lack punch!

3. Serial

Serial Senior Member

I own and play both. Not a fan of the live sound of my CU22 for gigging-much prefer my R4 goldtop or my R7 black beauty. The PRS plays great, weighs nothing, and I love the trem, but I can't get it to sit well in a live mix at all in either band I'm in. The LPs have no problem cutting through.

I've been to the PRS factory many times and it's always GAS-inspiring, but at the end of the day, my LPs will go to the gig with me first. As for quality control, I can't say as ive ever seen a flaw in a PRS, but my Historic Gibsons are spectacular guitars (2 LPs, an SG an FB and a J-200) with zero issues.

4. voodo child

voodo child Senior Member

I like PRS but they are so damn small and yes I think that they are copying both Gibson and fender.
    I played the Artist V and thats the kind of guitar that PRS should be focusing on cuz it was absolutely flawless.:applause:

5. StratGT

StratGT Senior Member

I for one don't hate PRS guitars...I just hate the Lawyers that buy them. I'm serious here, the people I see buying PRS are buying them as the next "collectable" PRS guitar...which is probably why PRS changes the models so often. Many of those guys I see buying multiply PRS guitars don't even play guitar. That's like dating a model then bragging to all your friends that she's still a virgin.

I'm new to the world of Gibson guitars but I'll stand by my purchasing decision.

1 person likes this.
  6. tdarian

tdarian Premium Member

Thank you for your expert opinion.:hmm: I hope you also don't hate any of the lawyers who own the real 59 Bursts. That would be alot of hate...too much for me to carry around.

1 person likes this.
  7. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

Id bet dollars to donuts it sounds nothing like a historic. Better or worse is subjective.

8. tdarian

tdarian Premium Member

That is a pretty safe bet.

9. StratGT

StratGT Senior Member

The SC-58 sure is a nice guitar and like most PRS guitars, it probably sounds good and plays well. I understand that it's a tribute guitar selling for big money but everyone would say it looks like a Les Paul but unfortunately it isn't....would it hold its value? If I were to buy a PRS (maybe someday) it would be more of their classic line up like the Custom 24.

10. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Senior Member

Wow...what an ignorant and totally offensive statement. I own a PRS and I am not a lawyer...do you hate me too? :squint:

11. thehikingdude

thehikingdude Senior Member

I used to play one on TV. A lawyer that is. :D

12. scoobyzjr

scoobyzjr Senior Member

I am a lawyer and I own a PRS. I guess you hate me. :applause:

Go on hatin'

13. StratGT

StratGT Senior Member

Sorry to offend anyone, me comment was more of a tongue and cheek comment.

Ok...so let me tell you my story regarding PRS guitars. As I mentioned in a earlier post, maybe one day I will get a PRS but that day in the Music Store turned me off on the instrument. Tell me if you would have been offended like a few people were that day including myself: Here goes...I own a few high end model Strats including Deluxe models and a Custom Shop Strat. A PRS rep visiting the store asked me what kind of guitar I had when I started looking at a Les Paul. I tell him about my Strats and these days I'd like a LP to cover many of the other sounds that Strats just can't do. He then has a chuckle and says "many of today's LP's are really scrap and you're wasting your money if you buy one, and a PRS is a great investment plus it sounds like a LP and a Strat with just a turn of the 5 way switch". He also said "Mexican Strats are made in Mexico but American Strats are made my Mexicans"...I'm thinking WOW, did he just say that? He then looks at the guy next to me and says "we sell many of our PRS guitars to collectors and Lawyers, you know, the people who understand a good investment when they see one". I wasn't the only person in the store that rolled their eyes when the PRS rep was talking.

Personally, I do not hate PRS guitars in fact I'm still interested in a CE24, nor do I hate Lawyers but ever negative stigma associated with snooty Lawyers purchasing high end products from that PRS rep was represented that day.

Another personal opinion is that PRS should focus their attention on the uniqueness of their products instead of selling them based on the sound of other instruments since a PRS guitar really is a beautiful instrument.

14. scoobyzjr

scoobyzjr Senior Member

come on man, we are just busting your balls. A lot of people DO buy lots of PRS guitars for collecting and they do not play. That is their prerogative. However, there are people (like me :)) that own a PRS because they are great players.

Let me tell you a story. I grew up playing superstrats - Kramer, Charvel, Ibanez RG, etc. Like 6 years ago, I was at a friend's house. He has a PRS Custom 24. I started playing his PRS and I fell in love with it. It was really awesome playing. So, I started looking for my own. Over a 6-month period, I played tons of PRS guitars and Gibson LP's. I ended up falling in love with a Les Paul and purchased it instead. Funny how things work out. I had no interest in buying a Les Paul, but now it is my favorite guitar. Anyway, 6 months later, I was at a music store and they had a PRS Korina McCarty. It was very light, but sounded very good, so I bought it. I have both and love 'em both. And the McCarty does not have a fancy top, so it is not like I bought it for the looks.

[​IMG]

15. scoobyzjr

scoobyzjr Senior Member

Oh, and I hate lawyers too!!! I have to deal with them way too much at work! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Although, I am married to one...:hmm:

16. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

He (the man at the store) was just a salesman , no different than any other guitar dealer that somehow claims their used products are sprinkled with magic dust and were stashed away just for them to buy and resell...PRS originally built his guitars as a tribute to Ted McCarty ( He ran Gibson) and as a personal take on what Gibson solid body electric guitars could have evolved into but didn't. Personally I like the Custom 22 style with it's better scale over other models , as far as collectibility ? Only time and future buyers can determine that. It is nice to own or have a guitar that speculatively may be a present or future collectible item but personally I buy ( and sell) guitars I like and think others will like as well.

17. b3john

b3john Senior Member

:applause:

That's a great looking top. Has it's own unique character. Why don't more of them come with tops like these? :hmm:

18. scoobyzjr

scoobyzjr Senior Member

The nice thing is that it is not a top, it is a 2-piece body of solid Korina. Also a Korina neck. Nice to have something different than the typical mahogany/maple, which is what I have with my LP.

Do not know why they discontinued it. I guess sales were bad. Dunno, maybe people who were buying PRS wanted they Mahogany/maple combo and this did not sell well.

It is FREAKISHLY light, but it sounds very full and warm, so I dig it. does not sound like my LP, but definitely has its own sound.

19. thehikingdude

thehikingdude Senior Member

You want boring!!!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. Breakrite

Breakrite Premium Member

Pretty much the same size. Weight is the big difference in these two.
    SC58 wt. 7lb 14oz. LP wt. 9 lb 14oz.

There are certainly differences, but to say its an LP copy? Not really. It stands on its own as a fine instrument.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.