PRS SC 58..has Paul gone too far?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by shtdaprdtr, Oct 25, 2010.

1. The Archer

The Archer Senior Member

The only people who went too far was Gibson for filing charges when their own internal communications were saying things like (i paraphrase) 'only an idiot would confuse these two guitars'

2. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

The 57/08 pickups sound truly amazing (IMO) but I am not sure if they are the issue as much as just overall construction differences. I would really like to stick a set of 57/08's in a Gibson Les Paul and see what it sounds like. All I know is they have sounded great in everything I have tried them in.

If you're looking for a true "Les Paul" tone, then a Les Paul is going to win hands down every time. The SC58 isn't a true Les Paul "clone" like a Heritage or a ghost built custom job, and as a result, I don't expect it to sound exactly like a Les Paul.

I have A/B'd my SC58 with my Gibson R8, and there is a significant difference in tone between the two guitars - the R8 is almost more scooped in the midrange, I'm not sure how to describe it accurately in words. Both sound great, but definitely different.

The long and the short of it is this - If you want true Les Paul tone, buy a Les Paul. If you want to check out a really stunning modern take on the classic singlecut platform, check out the PRS SC58/245/Singlecut.

1 person likes this.