PRS SC 58..has Paul gone too far?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by shtdaprdtr, Oct 25, 2010.

1. shtdaprdtr

shtdaprdtr Senior Member

Check out the new PRS SC58..heres a link..its the guitar on the far right (click for info). Seems PRS really ran out of ideas and since he won the lawsuit, figured he'll make himself an R8/R9...amazing guitars but things like this are making him lose credibility in my eyes.

Paul Reed Smith Guitars | Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitars, Amplifiers and Accessories

2. LesPauI+SG=Win

LesPauI+SG=Win Senior Member

I dont thing hes going to far at all. I think he is paying tribute to an amazing guitar and an incredible year or guitar manufacturing. About every company has done something similar.

The unique thing about PRS is that their guitars are really smashing their competition. I would almost bet that they can make a 58 better than the original company can... Sadly.

3. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Senior Member

You are either on the PRS or Gibson side of this one....love it or hate it.

Being a PRS fanboy like I am, I love the look and concept of the guitar. But, I do hate the fact that it is so blatantly advertised as an imitation of the 58' LP. The name SC58 and the fact that Paul used the 58 LP as inspiration just baffles me. Why is PRS modeling their stuff after Gibson?

hobosunited247 and diceman like this.
  4. JonMan94

JonMan94 Senior Member

IMMA ESP GUY.... :laugh2:

Joeydego likes this.
  5. shtdaprdtr

shtdaprdtr Senior Member

Thats my point exactly....he made a name for himself with the Custom 24...he should focus on his own history and take it further (I know they tried with the 25th anniv.) Otherwise hes just making another Tokai or knockoff brand...even though he probably would build a better 58/59.
    If anything focus on the Santana/Leese bodystyle and go at Gibson with that...make it a fixed bridge (and no the Mira doesnt count)

6. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

I think thats the best non Gibson Les Paul ever made by another big name company.

And i would not be surprised if it sounder far better then any Historic.

7. possumkiller

possumkiller Senior Member

Hes just giving a big middle finger to Corporate Gibson for screwing with him. To be honest I dont blame him. With the QC issues that Ive found on Gibsons Ive played, I bet he could grab a large chunk of their sales.

8. zslane

zslane Senior Member

But why a neck scale of 24.5" and not 24.75"?

9. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

I think PRS is going after both Gibson & Fender.
    Look at that DC3 and tell me it's not a Strat.

10. 3th3r

3th3r Member

Modern Gibsons don't use a scale of 24.75", they use 24.5625" or 24.625".

Perhaps PRS is copying Gibson's 24.5625" scale, and they just shortened for ease of reading. Maybe.

11. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

looks like a Heritage H-150

12. kspeed

kspeed Senior Member

I'm definitely a PRS fanboi - don't get me wrong, I love my Gibsons, too - but this still rubs me the wrong way a little bit. PRS has had/still has plenty of wonderful original designs so why do they even need to pay tribute to someone else's design? What's next, an EQ that pays homage to a '57 Strat?

13. LesPauI+SG=Win

LesPauI+SG=Win Senior Member

Its not a strat. :laugh2:

But seriously, Its not. Its got alot of different features and cool, useful innovations. Every guitar that is out there has some of inspiration from another guitar for the style. Its just the way of life. I love PRS and Gibson equaly. But, I think PRS has the upper hand because their guitars are just that good. All of their guitars are top notch. Gibsons quality control sucks, and as mentioned before, that is going to hurt Gibson.

14. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

I’m not a “fanboi” of PRS but I have to say his copies of both Gibson and Fender guitars look like beautiful well made instruments and I’m sure that people that don’t mind having copies of the real deal will by them by the bucket load.

Not for me though, if I want a real LP I’ll buy a gibbo, similar with the strat and fender.

15. shtdaprdtr

shtdaprdtr Senior Member

Well thats the fingerboard scale of the santana models...remember, its still a production company so you need to use what you have.
    I just feel that by doing this..PRS will be losing touch with their own identity.
    Without a doubt the guitar WILL be superior to an R9..after all they already have longer tenons than gibsons.

16. Throwing7

Throwing7 Senior Member

Take a look at their 305. It's even more like a strat. To the point that it has the angled bridge pickup and Buddy Guy is using them now.

17. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

And the good this is that they all are far better then a strat or a gibson is fantastic.
    :thumb:

18. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvEAXzqfiUU]YouTube - Buddy Guy at Experience PRS 2009[/ame]

Buddy Guy + PRS = Dreadful?:shock:
    (IMO):hmm:

19. Luke0739

Luke0739 Senior Member

He's just rubbing in the lawsuit win.

20. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Eh, they look OK.

At that price I'd rather hire a luthier. ;)