PRS John Mayer Silver Sky somethingocaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Slick, Mar 6, 2018.

1. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

Mayer and PRS missed a grand opportunity here. Come on man!

endial likes this.
  2. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

3. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

PRS is better than this......

Inside Guy likes this.
  4. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

For inventive twists on Strat knock-offs, one needs only to look toward Music Man offerings. I think they got it right.

Thumpalumpacus and Left Paw like this.
  5. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

6. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

If PRS didnt put maybe the most insulting sales pitch ever attached to a guitar along with this most people would have just ignored it.

Left Paw likes this.
  7. misterhatter6

misterhatter6 Senior Member

John Mayer does seem like just the tool for this guitar. This looks like one of those almost there, but not quite, kit guitars, painted an unimaginative color. I hope they pulled the wiring out of a Squier Bullet for his personal guitar. Sorry...I dislike John Mayer...in all reality, I would have to see more features to even begin to justify the artist price tag that would come attached. Otherwise it's a Strat copy with a (possibly) different scale length and 3 on a side headstock.

indeedido likes this.
  8. ktj

ktj Senior Member

for me....it's simply a butt ugly guitar. PRS are known for superb design. I'm not a big PRS guy (I've wanted to...) but the one thing is that their guitars are works of art, in my view. This - just disturbs me. The headstock just doesn't work with the shape. I'm sure it plays great and gets him his tone, but it is not a good looking guitar.

Thumpalumpacus and Martins LP like this.
  9. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

Personally, I see it as this:
    Meeting in the "design" room...
    "Listen, this Mayer idiot is driving me nuts! 'It's not strat enough for me, or it's too PRS and not me. Yadda yadda yadda...' So Jose, go and pick up a Squire, then slap on one of those crappy bolt on necks to satisfy the moron. See problem solved. Now, how much do we charge the public for our brilliance?"

Mike J. likes this.
  10. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Senior Member

I'm not really much of a Mayer fan, and PRS guitars aren't really my thing...but let's look at it this way.

PRS quality construction and wood curing.

A vintage spec Fender neck and fretboard radius that is only now offered on custom shop Fenders.

...all for a solid $1,500 less than a Fender custom shop Strat.

The headstock isn't really my thing, but that is a LOT of guitar for the money. All 'S' style guitars are not created equal.

11. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

This is the greatest endorsement Fender could have ever dreamed of receiving.

I agree with Nitro that the quality and feel are likely outstanding, and it certainly would be interesting to A/B his old Fender Custom Shop JM Signature against these PRSs.

If Gibson would have pulled anything remotely similar with any artist, I can't even imagine the amount of vitriol thrown their way.

dc007 and endial like this.
  12. Inside Guy

Inside Guy I am no longer @ Gibson V.I.P. Member

I guess you didnt hear of the time that Gibson and Epiphone had versions of the Jimi Hendrix "strat".
    http://www.myrareguitars.com/gibson-creates-signature-jimi-hendrix-strat

I was @ Gibson during this time and Jimi's sister had a falling out with Fender and came to Gibson. After months of development, Jimi's sister had a falling out with Gibson and these never saw the light of day. If I recall correctly, the falling out was over Jimi's sister wanting to paint a copy of one of Jimi's water color paintings on the guitars. In the Gibson USA plant, there were bodies and necks made, but soon after, the flood of Nashville ruined them all from ever being released as some kind of guitar. One other note: When we asked how we were going to market this model, the answer was: "If Jimi were alive today, what would he be playing?"

Thumpalumpacus and endial like this.
  13. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

He'd be playing Ibanez.

ben.jammin likes this.
  14. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

You are right, IG, I was not aware. I'm glad the effort was aborted for whatever reason. I guess I shouldn't be surprised these companies are willing to do this. The power of the marginal dollar is strong, especially when times are tough.

One thing that about the PRS model did surprise me .... the 7.25 radius of the fretboard..... I had a thinline tele with that fret radius and I just couldn't execute bends very well with it. Really surprised by that choice.

StudioFan likes this.
  15. misterhatter6

misterhatter6 Senior Member

I remember these! It's kind of a shame that they were never produced. It would be kinda like Stan Lee doing a Batman comic. Not really anything anyone wanted, but a neat novelty nonetheless.

16. tzd

tzd Senior Member

That explains why the flood was an act of God!

17. flashbak

flashbak Senior Member

David Gilmore has no problem whatsoever doing bends on a 7.25 radius neck, nor do a lot of other top players.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    lpthomas likes this.
  18. endial

endial Senior Member

What the heck?

19. flashbak

flashbak Senior Member

Just stating fact. I'm not a Mayer fanboy by any means but have been reading a number of posts all over that are negative to his choice of a 7.25 radius neck with regard to bending etc.... Just wanted folks to realize that there are a number of great players who still prefer that radius neck and seem to have no problems with doing bends on it. My apologies for directing it toward LiveSimply specifically.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  20. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

All I said was that I was surprised by it. His previous Fender sig model had a 9.5, I believe, so the change was surprising, given that Fender would have likely provided him with whatever he preferred. I'm sure any world class player can walk up to any GC pick up any guitar at any price point with any type radius neck and play the paint off of it. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them so I guess the flatter radius helps folks like me. But my comment was not meant to be derisive of his choice... he plays what he plays.... and that's what his sig model should have.