PRS John Mayer Silver Sky somethingocaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Slick, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Slick

Slick Senior Member

northernguitarguy likes this.
  2. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

It is pretty embaressing to the PRS brand to release that

Their brand is associated with beautiful tops. Thats the PRS way overall.

The fact it looks identical to a strat pickguard layout and usual strat colours is just so un-inspired.

This is just ANOTHER standard strat clone on the market

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  3. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

This is a PRS take on a strat.

[​IMG]

4. theblock321

theblock321 Senior Member

They were wooing John Mayer and capitalizing on his popularity in the process. I take no issue with it. I, for one, can't wait to try one.

Bud Stoner and M@nChild like this.
  5. Martins LP

Martins LP Member

Clearly he wants to be a Strat player but he's had some falling out with Fender so he's found someone else to make basically the same guitar.

I'm disappointed in it too, it could at least have some beautiful wood finish and something more intersting with the electronics. I can't believe that John can't think of some custom features that would be useful to him.

I know what I would do if I had someone making a custom guitar for me!!

6. danohat

danohat Senior Member

7. Matt_21

Matt_21 Senior Member

The headstock just looks...sloppy...to me. The bottom end especially. It just looks like someone cut it quick and said, "Hey, it still looks like a PRS headstock right?"

8. Inside Guy

Inside Guy I am no longer @ Gibson V.I.P. Member

The truss rod cover is the lamest, and least inspired part of the guitar. 2 years, and that's what you slap on it? 95% of the guitar design already existed....ugh. Maybe it was Johns design idea, i dont know, but whoever came up with that was not thinking about a beautiful design, they were thinking about "ease of manufacturing". It happens.

9. Petergrifindor

Petergrifindor Senior Member

They made this for the Grateful Dead gig, so it is logical they continued with something for everyday playing.

[​IMG]

Curious George likes this.
  10. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

11. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

I didnt properly look at that

Once you see it...........

I just dont understand how you get to work with Paul Reed Smith and design basically nothing. Just copy.

X–Ray and Dilemma like this.
  12. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Yes, mostly just a copy. They didn't even change the pick guard, which would have at least added something new to it.

13. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

I still haven't warmed up to the birds on the fretboard. I know this shouldn't bother me as they don't impact the playing or the sound.... but ....... still........ no.

14. judson

judson Senior Member

i have only owned an SE Custom 22 amazing feel for a low end guitar, replace the pups and you got a player that you wont find at too many places for the money

i will bet this thing feels great

PRS usually doesnt produce turds

they take great pride in producing a great instrument and if you ever touched one i think you would agree

i am not a buyer of them but i do believe they do produce quality if you pay the price

15. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

The guitar kind of resembles his career, IMO.

He's a very talented guy, but he established himself with *stuff* like "Body is a Wonderland", and later wanted to be known as a grizzled Bluesman. From an image perspective, one kind of taints the other.

I'd fight for his right to do anything he wants, but this guitar seems like a similar version of pasting it all together and assuming it'll be just fine... People will see this however I want them to see it. Right?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Even if Mayer didn't have the sense to avoid this combo, designers at PRS should have. Unless PRS designers are now middle school kids coming up with cool ideas on the backs of their notebooks.

Also kind of looks like a bad envisioning of a Warmoth project.

I'm being more negative than I usually prefer, but as a PRS product, this is bewildering.

16. Dilemma

Dilemma Loud Pipes Ruin Naps Premium Member

This isn’t a guitar for the masses, this is a guitar for his fans. And they’ll gobble it up. Unlike the Clapton Strat for example, there are no features here that would draw a buyer. Well, one; it’s a Mayer Signature. That’s it.

indeedido likes this.
  17. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

Looks like a rip off. At least they could have used the opportunity to mod the headstock a bit. The birds on the fretboard are enough to say it's a PRS. Missing a gorgeous top cheapens it into another lame-o yawn inducing, at best, strat copy. It would definitely be better off without the TRC..

Wonder how it plays. A sweet player can induce me to forgive quite a few visual dislikes.

18. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Senior Member

This is rediculous.

19. Meatwad

Meatwad Senior Member

I thought it was an early April Fool's joke.......shoulda went with the Wangcaster headstock, 'cause this whole thing is a dick move IMO.

Gtarzan81 likes this.
  20. Mike J.

Mike J. Senior Member

Could have easily been one of Henry‘s ideas. Maybe Paul‘s smoking the same weed now.

Honestly, nobody needs that guitar. Don’t know what the beef is between John and Fender, but if he still wants to play a classic “Strat Design”, well then there’s tons of good manufacturers out there. SVL comes to mind among others. PRS is just so non Strat...

MT-Guitars likes this.