PRS is killing it

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Steinmetzify, Dec 4, 2012.

1. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Senior Member

2. BUDOKAI

BUDOKAI Senior Member

What do you mean by bad?

3. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

Bad as in "Good", as in, I like them too.

(And please, don't bother with courtesy of adding please when you ask a question.)

4. Cassp0nk

Cassp0nk Senior Member

Well PRS are definitely selling around the 1100 mark for a 10 year old one, maybe couple of hundred more for newer ones. Maybe there are people paying more, but seriously bad market for sellers at the moment and thats where they seem to have to be to shift.

I don't think Les Paul Custom Shops lose proportionately as much, but maybe I'm wrong. My feeling is that good fenders and gibsons are the most likely to retain value.

5. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

I think bad as in badass.

:dude:

6. ptgold

ptgold Senior Member

I also wish they had more solid color options for all their guitars because I too find alot of the colors too gawdy for my tastes

PRS has improved alot in that respect in the past few years though. The McCarty 58 and DGT models are a step in that direction that I prefer.....much more Rock and Roll looking

7. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Many PRS colors are what I'd call "traditional guitar colors", while some aren't. But you do have a choice. And to avoid some of the "foo-foo" looks, you can always try the SE series, get a good guitar, and save a bundle.

8. Garhel

Garhel Senior Member

Have a look at some 2012 Standards in that range - GAK and Nevada are both discounting these models in various colours, although i think Nevada are down to just one Ebony left!

Cheers, G

9. slither

slither Senior Member

The DGT is a very well regarded model, and really just a McCarty modified to Dave Grissom's preferences, and PRS introduced the McCarty (back in 1994 I think) as a more traditional/vintage type of electric. I think where PRS has really excelled in the last few years is producing more vintage styled pickups such and the 57/08, 59/09 and 53/10 range of pickups.

10. Geetarbaz

Geetarbaz Junior Member

Thanks but I can't see any on their websites for less than £1,699. The more I look - new and used - the harder it gets (as usual!) Think I'll limit myself to £1,500 which means a used Standard or Classic, or new Classic Custom or Traditional. Preferring a slim neck narrows it down, as does colour choice (HCS or GT), followed by how far I travel. Soon be Christmas (it could take that long)!

Cheers,

Baz :fingersx:

11. sollophonic

sollophonic Senior Member

I have quite an armoury of guitars, and I like the fact that a PRS is among them (though it is an SE)

The only thing I don't like about them is the headstock, so mine has been modded a bit.

[​IMG]

My SE Soapbar has become a bit of a workhorse, and as such is getting more wear and tear, so I have no trouble playing it as hard as my Teles or Gibbys.

I think PRS guitars look as good a bit road-worn as do Fenders and Gibsons

12. smorgdonkey

That's like Jennifer Grey after her nose job.

It seemed like it might be a good idea and then she wasn't as hot after that character feature was gone.

13. sollophonic

Beg to differ here.

PRS took a good look at the current guitars and thought they could do things better.

In most cases, IMHO they did.

Scale length, improvements to the single cut body, string alignment, much more.

Then they thought they could improve on the shape of the headstock.

IMO, they didn't, it makes a lot of so called "ugly" head stocks look pretty in comparison.

Folk complain about the Melody Maker and Telecaster head stocks, the PRS ones look way worse IMO. The PRS ones are almost pointy but not quite, and almost traditional but not quite. They thought they could do better, but IMO this is the one part of their guitars that they didn't

Just IMHO of course, but PRS improved on many things, but their headstocks let them down.

I'm tempted to do more to mine and simply cut it straight across:naughty::laugh2:

Otherwise, I love my PRS, and \|I'd own another, but I still don't like the head stock:hmm:

14. smorgdonkey

Was nice...you 'cookie cuttered it'.

15. Dolebludger

Headstock shape is another one of those things that is a matter of personal taste. I personally like the PRS headstock shape on my 2012 SE, but it is not really important to me. The only things I consider important about the headstock are that it provide good tone transfer from strings to the body (to the limited extent any headstock can do that), and be light enough to prevent "neck dive" (ever play an Epi G 400?).

Beyond that, guitar makers have to be careful to avoid copying a another maker's design. PRS was already sued by Gibson for this. Gibson lost, but I'm sure PRS is being careful to avoid anything that could be said to be a copy of another brand.

16. sollophonic

I improved it 100% IMO, and don't think the "straight across cut mod" hasn't crossed my mind. PRS guitars look lovely IMO, until you look at the head stock. So many of them are pictured from a back angle, you have to wonder.

I had to think of the damage I could cause with that pointy top bit on a crowded stage, as I play in a 9 piece:naughty:

A pointy headstock is a pointy headstock to me, whether a Charvel or a PRS. At least with a Charvel you know that your headstock matches your guitar and music style. With a PRS Soapbar, its no so cut and dried. One end is a P90 slabster, the other end is a stadium rocker!!

Looks aren't everything, but they are a consideration. I know of other players who don't like the headstocks on PRS guitars, and to them it is a consideration.

Personally I think PRS guitars look best from this angle

[​IMG]

PRS head stocks though, long live 'em;-). Makes Teles, Melody Makers, Flying Vs, Explorers and other head stocks look beautiful in comparison.

17. smorgdonkey

I'm sure that Jennifer and her surgeon said so too.

18. Dolebludger

Just let me throw this out about PRS headstocks. As I've said, I don't really care about headstocks as long as they work and don't weigh down the neck and make it "dive". And I'll further admit that they may look out of place to some on a single cut PRS. But look at the headstock shape on a double cut PRS. IMHO, it rather mirrors the shape of the body on those guitars, and looks damn good to me!:)

19. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

20. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member