PRS is killing it

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Steinmetzify, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Banned

Stopped by my local GC to scope out some stuff for a new rig I'm putting together. Always deal with the same guy as he knows what I'm into; he was busy and broke away for a moment to hand me a PRS SC in tobacco burst? I think.
    Sat down at a Mesa Roadster and plugged in and started running up and down the board, and was BLOWN AWAY by how immediately comfortable I was. No fighting it at all...was like my hands knew right where to go. Never experienced this level of comfort on a new guitar before. Pretty fat neck, pups were unmarked but between us and another guy we figured they were prob 58/08's or something? Kind of deep and a little fuzzy, but very articulate. Perfectly set up, which as you know at GC can be a miracle. Just an all around great tight rockin guitar. Santana? Yup. Pantera? Yup. If a guitar can play both of those and sound equally good doing it, I'm attracted. Next guitar will be a PRS Singlecut, I guarantee it. If I'd had the money with me, I'd have taken it home. Fortunately for me, I didn't because 22 days before Christmas my wife would have buried me lol.

It was a 2009 and used, but pretty clean. Any info on what pups would have been in it assuming they were stock? And is $1499 a fair price for that or could I get it lower? I can haggle all day on Gibsons and Deans, but the only thing I know about PRS is I want that one.

I'm a fan. They do it right.
    Thanks guys!

2. Sock_Puppet

Sock_Puppet Senior Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I was at GC, trying out some pedals with a nice Les Paul Trad. Then I went and grabbed a new PRS DGT Mahogany, and that thing just blew the Les Paul away. Ever since Paul got back to being more hands on with the R&D, things have really changed for the better.

3 people like this.
  4. VDeuce

VDeuce Senior Member

Right on. After ignoring PRS for years, I just picked up this new DGT and I am completely blown away. So much so that my R7 may be gone. Now I want an all mahogany DGT Standard to go with it...

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  5. nitrodc

nitrodc Senior Member

I want to say that even their SE (korean) line is excellent. I haven't tried a US-made PRS but I assume they're very similar (probably the same) in terms of shape. I also felt very at-home playing my SE Marsden, it was immediately comfortable. I was going to buy a Gibson Studio Faded initially, but after trying that PRS (which I now own) I have absolutely no regrets. For the price, it can't be beat.

^^ That DGT is absolutely stunning!

1 person likes this.
  6. strat les sg

strat les sg Senior Member

I just got the DGT Sig.(gold/Birds)& a B.Marsden ,love both of them ,I wanna try the DGT Std. but dont see any around in the stores ,still love my Les Pauls though,I have to turn the amp vol. down 2 notchs when I plug the Lp's in,been lookin at the Prs SC58 as well.

7. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Weird how opinions differ. I've never played a PRS, that felt "right". I also don't really like how most of them sound. And, I'm not just saying this to be an ass, but if I had the choice between a really "nice" PRS and a Strat, I'd choose the Strat.

At least they LOOK pretty, though?

4 people like this.
  8. DumbMotherBucker

DumbMotherBucker Banned

PRS, yep...SERIOUS GUITARS. There's a model for EVERYBODY, just EVERYBODY won't try enough of them to find the one that works for them. They are like everybody else except for one thing, they make guitars RIGHT.

1 person likes this.
  9. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Not that "EVERYBODY wont't try enough of them", but moreso that, "MOST PEOPLE can't afford most of them".

Me personally, I've played more than enough to form a very educated opinion. And, I'll reiterate: "At least they look pretty".

10. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

I love the neck - the fret finish and the feel is like glass.
    Pickups are humbuckers.

11. DumbMotherBucker

DumbMotherBucker Banned

I like their Korean stuff as much as the USA stuff. That way everybody can afford one and still get the double inspection when they come to the USA PRS location for final inspection. Grabbing the SE models for $300.00 used is the way to go for anybody on a budget. You simply can't get a better guitar for that kind of money. And.......Pretty.

1 person likes this.
  12. in2madness

in2madness Senior Member

PRS do know how to make a great guitar. I think one of the area's that PRS has made huge improvements in in the last few years is their pickups. I never used to like their high output older designs but I like the 58/08's 59/09's and the Starla pickups.

13. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Senior Member

I like them more. I have tried USA PRS for years and all the way up to $4000 ones...never found a USA model that really impressed me.

I had 2 of the SE semi hollows with the soapbars that were great but they sold so well that I let them go. I said "if I can get another around the prices I got the first two for, I'll keep it". Sure enough, I saw another SE (Singlecut this time) for sale and picked it up. Immediately liked it.

Rule #1 - I hate the birds. It was cool at first and would still be cool if it were only a few guitars. Now, when I see birds I get a bit nauseated.

Rule #2 - I don't like too much bling.

14. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

The mahogany DGT was around the same price as the LP I was playing. Pauls chase for the PAF sound has really improved the pickups greatly. When I met Paul a few years back we discussed the potentiometers, he said he spent 2 years trying to come up with a pot that worked as well as an old Centralab. The guy is really into getting all the little things right. You may or may not like the end result, but you have to admire him for sweating the smallest details. One would wish Gibson were as passionate about their stuff.

15. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I picked up the PRS SE 245 for $349, the deal was at Sam Ash but GC matched it. I had them do a quick setup with 10's during the Black Friday deals and this guitar is just totally sweet, very comfortable to play, and sounds really good. It can even hits some great ACDC tones like a Gibson, even though someone said that the pickups are a bit darker and fuller and it can't hit the ACDC tones like a Gibson, I am not having a problem with my rig.

16. babatube

babatube Senior Member

always liked their look and comfy necks.
    never dag their sound.
    there is no argue that they are awesome guitars though.

1 person likes this.
  17. nutsauce

nutsauce Senior Member

I had only owned one PRS and only played a couple prior to a few weeks ago. I felt like many others about the tone until I played this McCarty '58. I bought it on the spot and it is my #1 now for sure. I played a 408 that was also just awesome sounding. They both played like a dream.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  18. Kalz

Kalz Senior Member

I like the Sound of My PRS but I do not like how it feels. To each his own I guess

If you like the guitar and it feels and sounds right get it. No need for others to tell you what you should/should not do with it :)

19. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

I am the guitar police, I tell everybody what to do and how to do it.

5 people like this.
  20. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

They're usually too gaudy for my tastes. The ones I've played were generally fine guitars, although if it's not a wide-neck spec, it feels a little cramped for me. I don't have big hands.

Anyway, I'll shop around for a Mira one day. They're the model that seems best for me.