PRS Consistency

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Tomsmenace, Nov 19, 2017.

1. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

hahahaha... Now that is funny.

To add info to the thread for you anyway, I had to get strings and was at the local GC on Thursday. Looked at the "used" wall and played a MusicMan. Not sure exactly what model, but it had the little thingy on the trem on the low E to drop-tune that string. Looked like an EVH style guitar. It's neck was narrow like the S2, but smoother due to the satin maple. Really nice, but I found I prefer a wider neck.

Then I played a PRS SC 58. OK...Perfect weight and the neck was great. Playability was great. I even was OK with the birds as they were the "outline" style. It had a painted neck though, so I refrained from even plugging it in. My 1st impression on that guitar was WOW (rare for me). It is one of the nicer guitars I had in my hands. I would love to spend more time with it. It had some visual damage and was priced at $2k.

So...to make it relevant to this thread, know that the S2 and a lot of the MM guitars have that 1 5/8" nut instead of the 1 11/16" that the Gibson has. That is more of an adjustment than the scale length, FOR ME. It took me quite some time to notice that was an issue for me. The S2 necks are different!

Tomsmenace likes this.
  2. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

I don’t mind different but widths...
    D61EF40A-B4D7-4635-94F0-D4E068F0D0FB.jpeg

Thumpalumpacus, mmd and ttbit like this.
  3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

My experience w/ PRS is the same as all the other reports. It's really impressive to see a company achieve this level of quality and quality control in what is now an industrial process. Paul Smith and Bill Collings rewrote the book about modern methods of guitar-building. Gibson is in the minor leagues. And I agree that this extends into the SE line as well, though I haven't tried on of those in recent months. The Ernie Ball/Music Man recognition is well deserved. While no electric builder matches the thinness of the PRS finish, MM quality is exceptional, and their necks are the best in the business. Some players who say they don't like MM necks all that much should be sure to try several models, as their necks are made markedly different depending on the model of the guitar. My (old) Petrucci has a flattish, asymmetrical profile, and an uncramped fretboard, and it is like riding a rocket. It feels like it is gelping you play! Best ever, for me. But there are rounder, bigger, etc. profiles in their line for those who want 'em.

mmd, ttbit and Tomsmenace like this.
  4. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Words of wisdom there. Same with PRS.

Tomsmenace and mmd like this.
  5. mmd

mmd Senior Member

DUDE!!! The Thumbass - German, right? What can you tell me about it? Those seem like the "mack daddy" Warwick. Info please!!!!

Your two Corvettes - which do you prefer, the $$ or the standard? Why, lol? I found my FNA Jazzman a good blend between the two, but I kinda want another one...I m leaning tward the standard with the jazz pups.....

Also - NICE bass collection. A friend of mine gigs his Bongo 5 and swears by it. Says he hates ALL other basses, lol....

Thumpalumpacus and Tomsmenace like this.
  6. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

Ha! we are way off topic...sort of. Thumbs are great and that is my 2nd one BUT it's also been traded. That picture is mostly current but not completely. I traded it for a Stingray 5 fretless. The thing about Warwick 5's is the non-broadneck versions are pretty tightly spaced at the bridged with 16.5mm between strings. I prefer 18mm/18.5mm spacing and the EBMM Stingray 5 and Bongo 6 are both 17.5mm so pretty workable.

Thumbs are their own thing with their own sound. the neck through models do not sound like the bolt-on models but strangely they both sound unique enough to identify as Thumbs. I've had both and prefer the sound of the neck through thumbs but the weight of the mid-2000's bolt-on thumbs. I am a Warwick aficionado so...I'm biased. I had a Stage Streamer II 5-string about a decade ago. It and my former Thumb NT 5 had the best sound ever and they both clocked in at 13.5lbs! and.......that's why they are gone.

My favorite vette for most things is the $$ however the standard gets 90% of the thumb sound with a lot more convenience. The standard has been upgraded to a bartolini preamp. If you run across a Corvette standard 5 in good shape from the 90's with a Wenge neck you'll almost have a Thumb for a fraction of the price and they sound and play wonderfully. They can be had for under a grand pretty regularly. They can be heavy. I like vette's from the mid 2000's because the neck profile is a thick U that is really comfy to me.

hope this helps.

mmd likes this.
  7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Lovin' those Warwicks, Tommy.

Tomsmenace likes this.
  8. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Cool, thanks!! I have always dug Warwick's and EBMM's. I have a Stringray Classic and a Sterling (the model NOT the brand, lol...). I LOVED the Sterling H, but found it to have a VERY aggressive sound. It was cool when I was gigging as a bassist in a one guitar thrash band. It was FAT and had some serious grind. I preferred the neck profile compared to the Stingray. It weighed less too. My Stingray was like a cinderblock!!!! I mostly play bass in recording sessions and in the worship team at church. I have found the Warwick to excel in those applications - a lot of tonal ground can be covered in a VERY easy way.

My bass has the wenge neck. Is that not a common feature anymore? I also have the bell brass frets...is that specific to a certain period. Don't know much about them because all the shops around me only carry Rockbass versions....cool, but not at the same level.

The thumb sound - what is that exactly? The only dude I know that plays one is Sean from Kamelot, and now that those guys are "bigger" he's not out and about like before. Can't ask him because I never see him anymore, lol. My FNA has the 3 way splitter for the HB - so I can get the "single coil" bridge tone, but it's not quite the same as a jazz pickup. Not bad, just different. Am I gonna get much more from buying a Corvette Standard?

While a bit off topic, at least it's your thread, lol....

Tomsmenace likes this.
  9. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

The thumb sound is pure jazz, especially the 5's - the 4 and 6 will do a pretty good P bass thing but the 5 is really the defining sound of the Thumb. It's slick, compressed, aggressive AND super clean. My Thumb NT 5 was a 1990 and aside from it's backbreaking weight was the most amazing sounding bass I've ever played. Not owned...played. It would also cut off the circulation to your leg if you played it sitting down. I can't describe them, but if you ever get a chance to play one...it's very unique.

This has the the answers you seek, and it's accurate.

mmd likes this.
  10. mmd

mmd Senior Member

*edit* to my post right above....I left out a KEY word!!!!

I USED to have a Stingray Classic and a Sterling H.......no longer. JUST the Warwick. I hate it when I forget to type a word, lol....

Tomsmenace likes this.
  11. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

To update this thread with some info pertinent to the topic I just ordered a CE 24 from Sweetwater. It will be my first PRS. 7lbs 3oz.

NeubyWanKaneuby and mmd like this.
  12. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Sweet. What color???

13. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

Screenshot from 2017-12-04 10-59-06.png

This one. I should have saved the pics but it will be here Thursday.

CaptainT and ttbit like this.
  14. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

Here are 2 SW pics, but I'll wait until it gets here for a full set. There were CE's with more figure, but this one had a symmetry of figuring that I liked.

245637-front-large.jpg 245637-angle-large.jpg

CaptainT, mmd and ttbit like this.
  15. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Looking forward to the review!

Tomsmenace likes this.
  16. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

That's a handsome guitar there. Hope it all works well for you, bud.

mmd likes this.