PRS Consistency

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Tomsmenace, Nov 19, 2017.

1. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Well-said, Frank.

I am glad I figured this out, too. I love the mystique and the sound of Les Pauls, but I couldn’t get along with playing them comfortably after owning 5 of them. Especially with hand and wrist issues from too many years of computers (and PlayStation), I am fussy about necks and ergonomics on my guitars. My PRS is a comfortable neck and comfortable to play. My Warmoth Tele with contours and a 59 neck fits like a glove and my SG has a nice chunky neck and is also quite comfortable (and light). The same goes with my acoustics. My J-45 True Vintage has a fantastic neck and the slope shoulders make it more comfortable than a dread. I have a Yamaha that I bought as a backup/beater, but I might move it along as it just isn’t quite so comfortable to play.

frankv likes this.
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Well, I am sure it is not our intention to bash the Les Paul. Not by any stretch. So much of how a guitar feels depends on ones hand size. If you have really large hands I am sure that person is thinking

" I have no problem with upper fret access "

I was not born that way and have about average to a little below average hand size.

Another factor that determines ones comfort with a Les Paul is playing style. If you are the blues player that plays in A minor or E minor, you probably can live with the guitar quite well. Or if you like to bang out power chords in a drop D tuning... again, no problem there either..

On the other hand if you are the type that plays a more fusion style with lots of legatos, well the LP neck is not best suited for that. So playing style has as much to do with comfortably living with a LP as anything. This is what I have found personally and why I don't play one anymore.

3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Again, playing style, hand size and a few other factors all come into play as to what guitar a human feels comfortable with. What I don't understand is those that might suffer playing a Les Paul when other guitars might and WILL provide a better platform for their playing and learning.

Regarding tone. That is a non-starter for me. Most of that tone is dependent upon the type of amp someone uses. It is well documented that i left tube amps a long time ago in favor of AXE FX. For the same or similar reasons I don't play Les Pauls. I want a tool (amp) that conforms to me and my playing. Not one that I have because it's a Marshall (add any brand) . Been there done that. Over 80 amps to base that personal opinion on. Only worth about 2 penny's in this place.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    jdto likes this.
  4. Custom53

Custom53 Senior Member

I have owned many types and brands of Guitars. And still own quite a few different models. See my signature. While I was never a fan of PRS because of all the Hype out there on them. I played a SE Custom24 and was debating on buying one just to see if I liked them or not. When a friend offered to sell me his 2015 Core model Custom 24 with Floyd Rose last year.. It was a price I couldn't turn down, but I now am a True PRS fan...! 003.JPG

jdto and frankv like this.
  5. frankv

Interesting. I never saw one with a Floyd. Must have been a special order at one time

jdto likes this.
  6. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

I have Les Paul's, Strats & a PRS & I play all of them equally comfortably. My R9 is my favorite & it has nothing to do with who played them or the hype, it just works for me. My PRS is one of my go to guitars & I love it also. It has a wide fat neck though not as big as my Paul's or strats. I have pretty large hands, some friends call them mitts. I would definitely like to add another PRS to my collection, smoking guitars. I have also been checking out Kiesel lately, there is a newer model for sale near me that I played for a while & it is pretty impressive.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  7. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

8. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

Looks like he just dropped the price.

9. frankv

Thats a great model. Although I would like a few years earlier for the short heel

mmd likes this.
  10. mmd

mmd Senior Member

That is a great price for a great guitar. I had a very similar CE22 this time last year. Dragon II pickups are pretty nice - they have a smooth, midrangey sound. My preferred PRS pickup is the 57/08 (very clear with an even frequency response), but my red CU22 has the Dragon IIs and I LOVE it!!!

[​IMG]

11. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I almost bought a used PRS SE 24 for $400 CDN but eventually ended up with a used Squier VM Mustang. The PRS was not really special but seemed to be well made. It may still be in the store.

Tomsmenace likes this.
  12. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

FYI: From my experience, the SE line does not really compare well to the standard PRS line or S2. I know some people are praising them, and not bashing.

DADDEO and Tomsmenace like this.
  13. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I just wanted a guitar with a vibrato and that was one of my options. It was more stable than the VM Mustang, I will say. But I can fix those issues and it's prettier.

Tomsmenace likes this.
  14. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

I'm with you guys on preferring dots to birds. There are several nice CE's on reverb with dots. THere's a nice EBMM cutlass here in town on CL

frankv and ttbit like this.
  15. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

At first I was not keen on the birds, but now I love them on my McCarty 594. They’ve grown on me quite a bit.

0D601925-845D-4EE3-B691-9D55CF8F4F44.jpeg

16. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

I played a Stingray in a local store and it was one of the best feeling necks ever (to me) and great overall quality. Next to it was a Cutlass. It had a rough feel to the fretboard edge and frets. Night and day between the two. They were both USA models also. Maybe just a bad one in the bunch??

frankv, Tomsmenace and jdto like this.
  17. Fred68

Fred68 Junior Member

I currently have five Gibsons (two 335s, an LP, an L5, and a 775). About a year and a half ago, I purchased my first PRS, a Studio. Since then, my Gibsons have pretty much remained in their cases. The PRS is so much nicer than any other guitar I have ever owned.

frankv likes this.
  18. frankv

The Cutless might spoil you and cause you to buy more EBMMs

Tomsmenace and jdto like this.
  19. Victek

Victek Senior Member

Can you say more about why you feel the SE line doesn't compare favorably with the S2 & Core line?

20. UKPortista

UKPortista Senior Member

I absolutely adore my CU24. The build quality is incredible, it sounds wonderful and is a total joy to play...

[​IMG]

Fred68, Tomsmenace, jdto and 2 others like this.