prs...are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Logieberra, Dec 21, 2012.

1. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Senior Member

Well, at least these guys do

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Hell ya, they were just over last night, having a great time with my Bird Bling! :laugh2:

Here a Bling, there a Bling, everywhere a Bird Bling! :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

That's nice, I'll skip, thanks.

2 people like this.
  4. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Senior Member

I have a Hollowbody Spruce that I bought very used for $1800, and use in a trio on occasion. With the LR Baggs setup the guitar is very versatile. The tone from the buckers is very warm, but with plenty highs, no mud. Very clear-sounding for jazz or funk, but nice for rock, too. Its so light it makes me nervous it might break, but its actually quite sturdy. Wonderful build quality. Just a superb guitar. But the finest guitar I ever played, the one that sticks out and I'll never forget, was a Custom Shop VOS Standard. Everything was perfect--the look, the tone, the feel, the neck profile. Its like my fingers had eyes of their own. What a wonderful experience that was!

5. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Senior Member

Those McCarty's are nice. I'd love to just play one..

6. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

only you can be the judge of that

1 person likes this.
  7. Logieberra

Logieberra Banned

whoa guys trashing me while I was banned... not cool

8. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

You guys crease me up! :laugh2:

How can you seriously say this is too much bling?

[​IMG]

But, this is okay?

[​IMG]

Doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me, the LPS fretboard is far more "Bling" than the PRS. (imho) :hmm:

Oh yeah, and while we're at it, the "PRS = 2 button bad" stuff, I take it none of you guy's have seen or played a Tele?

1 person likes this.
  9. Logieberra

Logieberra Banned

I prefer plain dots to be honest.. I like to be the least flashy guitarist

10. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

Me too, I have a PRS with dots and it's beautiful. :thumb:

At this stage all of my guitars except 2 PRS and LPS have dots, so I agree with you.

However I feel that my point still stands that the people saying that PRS birds are too Bling should be appalled by the traps or rectangles on LP's but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Perhaps they have nothing else to grasp at so the birds are a good excuse?

Who knows (cares?) :hmm:

:laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  11. Thumpalumpacus

It's the tops that are too blingy for my tastes.

[​IMG]

Just not my cuppa joe.

If it sounded and felt great I'd buy it, but I woudn't care for its looks.

I feel the same way about most quilt/flame-tops, not just PRS.

12. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

Yeah, I get that, they can be ostentatious without doubt. But if you review this and other threads on here the "Birds" are constantly referred to as being too "Bling" and that is just wrong, especially when compared side by side to an LP.
    (tho as always, ymmv)

Lol: that picture you posted above could almost BE my guitar! :shock:

:laugh2:

13. Thumpalumpacus

Well, the birds are to my eye a little more ostentatious than traps by dint of the fact that they're more involved visually, but it's neither here nor there. A good-sounding axe survives what we think are distasteful looks.

I knew you had a transblack PRS, I was thinking that one might tickle your funnybone. :)

2 people like this.
  14. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Logie:

I for one didn't trash you while you were gone. I don't even know what the controversy was about.

Bird inlays? I've got guitars with birds, dots, squares, and trapezoids, and really have no preference at all. Just so long as I have some sort of fret markers to give me point of reference. I will admit that the birds can look a little "over the top" on some models that have a bunch of other fancy stuff on the body, like binding, contrasting colors on top and rest of body, and/or non-traditional colors. But my PRS SE has no binding. Just a carved top with matched maple, with the whole body and neck stained dark red. On it, I think the birds are cool.

But next time you gig with a guitar with the birds, go walk in the crowd during your first break and ask people what your neck inlays look like. Bet nobody will know.

1 person likes this.
  15. Logieberra

Logieberra Banned

this is very true... if the instrument sounds good then who cares abotu inlays... personally I would get a PRS with bird inlays, would prefer dots but either way.. whats more important to me is binding so I can see the fret markers on dark stages

16. Dolebludger

Actually, for dark stages, I like the "pearl colored" rectangles and trapezoids best, because they show up the best to me, with my tired old eyes! I don't have much trouble with the birds, but whatever you can see best out of the corner of your eye under adverse lighting is best for you.

17. Thumpalumpacus

As long as I have side dots, I prefer nothing at all on the fingerboard.

1 person likes this.
  18. Quill

Quill Senior Member

The inlays are a strange detail. We probably all look at a lot of modern Les Paul inlays and think about the beautiful celluloid inlays in the old ones ... it's funny how that detail plays with us!

I never liked the birds, kinda cringed when I saw them ... but then I played the PRS that fit me, and I suddenly didn't mind the birds so much. It helped that they are the "outline" birds, but I don't think I could have walked away from the guitar if it had gruesome iron cross inlays or some other awful thing on the neck.

Well ... maybe I could have walked away from iron crosses ...

Anyway, yes it's the side markers that really matter to me - I absolutely cannot do without those - but if we all practiced enough, even those wouldn't matter - a lot of classical guitarists don't even need side dots, they just know by body position exactly where they are - blows me away.

1 person likes this.
  19. Dolebludger

Funny, I never loked at side dots. After reading some threads here about them, I examined my PRS SE, and noticed for the first time that it has side dots on the side of the thick ebony fret board, which is polished. Think I'll start using them!:)

20. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

We did try to warn you and get you to settle down before you got banned, but that just did not work out to well obviously since you got banned.

You must have missed us though, I see your posting all over the place! :thumb:

Welcome Back Mr Kotter!

1 person likes this.