prs...are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Logieberra, Dec 21, 2012.

1. HRC

HRC Senior Member

He found my bands website and facebook page and has been making an ass out of himself there to. :laugh2:

2. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Senior Member

How do people become friends with, then get in bands with these sociopaths?

The d!ck is banned on TGP as well.

3. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

You're making the fatal mistake of thinking that his Internet persona and behavior bears any resemblance to what he's like in real life, which I'd bet my bottom dollar isn't the case.

(I mean it couldn't be, could it?)

4. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Who is Godin? Seriously, I don't know the name except that it is a guitar brand.

5. smorgdonkey

Yes, the guitar brand. He said he had a Godin endorsement.

6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Good lord, this is pathetic.

Stay safe, Smorg.

7. John Ucol

John Ucol Senior Member

Why not? They're beautiful, versatile guitars- not to mention the necks feel great in my hand, and I like the sounds I can get out of the ones I have.
    Even the SE's hold their own compared to other guitars within/just past their price categories.
    While you can see from the above statements that I for one would disagree with that remark, would you at least care to elaborate on what makes you think PRS guitars are not worth it?

Also, inb4 resale values since I don't give a rat's ass about that tomfoolery. I buy a guitar with the intent to keep it and play the s*** out of it. :slash:

8. smorgdonkey

Kids do like to fight on the 'net.

No problem really though...he lives a few hundred miles away and I go about 210-215 pounds and train daily. I'd probably finish up with him while holding a beer and not even spill it.

I do appreciate the sentiment though.

1 person likes this.
  9. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

Lots of posts here but I'll throw in for the PRS. I believe they are better values for the money than Gibson USA guitars. I'd also give PRS the nod value/build and quality over Gibson Customs too at least theses days.

I am a Gibson guy but PRS makes some GREAT looking and high quality guitars.

10. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Ahhh yes... The never dying are PRS guitars worth it thread! :cool: Started by our own now banned famous guitarist sponsered by Godin who only shops at Vintage Guitar shops. Yes, he knows what he's talking about on every brand of guitar at any level. (Then why did he start this thread to begin with.) :laugh2:

Yes, they are worth it to most, but some just can't do it for what ever there reason may be. Just like any other guitar that I or anyone else may not like, it just hits us wrong or we can't get past a cosmetic detail, what ever it may be there are probably 20 other people that like it besides a one. I think out of 15 pages, most have said they would or already have purchased a PRS, which I would put this thread at a point where about 90% like PRS! :thumb:

11. smorgdonkey

The one thing I am going to do with my Singlecut is when I install the Lindy Fralin P92 set I am going to add a pot so I can have a master tone and individual volume controls.

2 people like this.
  12. cmjohnson

cmjohnson Senior Member

It wasn't so long ago (maybe a year or so) that I bought this PRS Employee SC245 from the employee it was built for, via an ntermediary.

I paid 3300 bucks for it, which is a personal record for me spending money on anything that didn't have doors and a roof!

It is definitely worth the money. I honestly can't say that I've yet found any Gibson guitar that inspired me to spend that much money.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. djjagdish

djjagdish Senior Member

I'm never letting go of mine!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Im never letting go of mine either, even though it is "only" an SE! Plays better than anything I've found in over 50 years.

There were some posts above that made a big deal out of the lack of "big time" professional players who are known for using PRS. Well, those kind of players get paid for making themselves known for playing a certain brand -- but actually own many, many different guitars. And they don't always record their "best stuff" with the guitar brand they are known for playing. That's the real world, and not the world of publicity.

15. DADDEO

DADDEO Senior Member

Goddamn, that is GORGEOUS.

1 person likes this.
  16. shtdaprdtr

shtdaprdtr Senior Member

Just going from experience..Im a long time Gibson collector but a multiple PRS owner as well. By far..compared to all my Gibsons including my reissues, the PRS guitars (Singlecuts, custom, santana,KL-33) I own are far superior in fit finish and craftsmanship..the joints, attention to detail are flawless and makes it seem each guitar is inspected by hundreds top to bottom before it goes out the door. It is extremely stable and tight feeling and very tough....but I hate the way their necks feel unfortunately...too wide for me and the spacing is like a classical guitar to me. The Gibson necks feel right at home to me and therefore I am a number one Gibson fan.
    for $3,000 you get beyond Gibson custom shop quality..I never paid more than $2500 for a PRS though so to me it was well worth it. I bought a singlecut 10 top from a working musician with some play wear for $1300...the best $1300 I ever spent on a guitar..but again..back to my neck preferences.
    The SE's are a different animal and in my opinion should not be considered PRS's as they are not from the same people that bring you all the other guitars. But...what american PRS's are to Gibsons....the SE's are to Epiphones. The SE is a superior guitar to all the import guitars..theres just not as much bling to it and they seem kinda thin in the body thickness department.
    So I say yes they are worth it.

17. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

I paid a hair less for my C22 used. Its a lot of money.

18. cmjohnson

cmjohnson Senior Member

Well, if it helps any, I asked a PRS private stock dealer to quote me for PRS to build a Private Stock guitar with identical specs to this Employee SC245 and the retail on it would be $11,700 with a street price of around 8500.

I might get back 50 percent of the retail price on it if I wait 25 more years and keep it in perfect condition but I bought it not as an investment, but because I wanted it.

It is in virtually perfect shape. Not a single mark on it that wouldn't polish out in five seconds with a polishing cloth. There is a tiny bit of gold plating wear, but those parts can be replaced if I want to.

I do play it. But carefully.

CJ

19. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I would much rather buy guitars I can play when ever I want and I am careful with my guitars, but not meticulous in the least bit. If they have fingerprints and are worn like relicked, then so be it, there gonna get played a lot if I have them.

20. cmjohnson

cmjohnson Senior Member

I tend to treat all my guitars just as carefully. I'll play the heck out of them but if I'm wearing a belt, my shirt is out to cover the buckle. I'm careful not to bang the headstock into anything. It's just a matter of being careful.

Yes, that first ding or scratch CAN be avoided.

Sure, wear will happen. That's fine. I just do all I can to avoid dents, dings, and scratches.