Prophecy GX vs Gibson Tribute

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by bpet2015, Mar 4, 2018.

1. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I liked it. I'm a lazy thumb-hanging player and where the hump meets the neck and heel on the Prophecy provides a perfect stopping point.

I don't get how the Matt Heafy LP would be better for that. The hump meets at the 16th fret like any other LP. On the Prophecy, the hump meets the neck at the 18th fret. Plus, I prefer the 490/498 to EMG's any day. The ebony is nice, but not enough to sway me over the other features. I suspect OP is the same?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

The Matt Heafy allows you to get the palm of your hand higher up the neck without it getting skewered by the sharp corner of the boxy neck heel or the edge of the body running down it. The body is also significantly thinner in the area where it meets the neck before transitioning into it's full thickness.

[​IMG]

Having played both guitars, the fret access on the Heafy is miles better, and I'd have better fret access over more frets any day. And IMO, ebony fretboards just look so much better on a Custom. Rosewood looks kinda cheap by comparison. Ebony feels nicer too.

If you don't like EMG's then they can easily be changed. Big deal. You can't (easily) change the neck heel or the fretboard on a guitar.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    northernguitarguy likes this.
  3. northernguitarguy

For me, the shaved heel is still gonna stop my thumb (I can only play a DC on the upper frets from arthritis). I like a nice rosewood board as much as any other. And the pup change comes with an electronics swap, which on a premium guitar defeats the purpose.

So, good sir, to each their own. Enjoy your guitar.:thumb:

4. bpet2015

bpet2015 Member

If I'm past the 12th fret, I'm in trouble...lol!

Eddie 70 and northernguitarguy like this.
  5. northernguitarguy

Me too. That's why I now prefer my Yamaha Revstar for those moments I sneak up there. I handle mostly the vocals and rhythm guitar, but need to be up there on a few songs. For example, my hands aren't able to make the harmonic bends on Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz with a LP anymore, not while singing anyway. I gotta do both and it's nice to have the double-cut for this. I was blowing the notes with my LP and MIJ copy, but it's a breeze with this Yamaha. :)

6. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

You are right, i missed the post from TS indicating that he wants something between Ibanez and Gibson... Yeah I agree on ESP/ LTD ... i would pick LTD over epiphone any day !!

7. T00DEEPBLUE

If you have a medical condition that prevents you from putting your thumb on the back of the neck then fair enough. But that's what I do predominantly. And I find that the access heel makes a huge improvement to fret access. More so than just moving the neck up a couple of frets.

8. northernguitarguy

I was doing it with an LP in the past. But some days I need that thumb to giv'er the extra squeeze power. Yeah, this is what I'm loving for that task. As much room as just about any guitar out there. :thumb:
    [​IMG]

T00DEEPBLUE likes this.
  9. bpet2015

bpet2015 Member

You can't go wrong with Yamaha. I have two, old Yamahas, an RGX and an RGZ from the 80s and 90s. Yamaha's quality was the main reason I bought a THR amp, it is very cool. Not to steer off topic too much, but I have also read Yamaha may have interest in Gibson, should things go that way. I'm sure the build quality would be excellent.

El Greco and northernguitarguy like this.
  10. T00DEEPBLUE

Don't give my GF any good ideas. :Ohno:

11. bpet2015

bpet2015 Member

Thanks to all for your help and input. After a lot of reading and comparisons, I went with an Epiphone Classic T. Great price and similar, hot pickups. I will post when it arrives if anyone is interested in reading about it. Thanks again!

12. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

:doh:should have gotten the Prophecy:doh: Enjoy the new guitar !!!!!