Prophecy GX vs Gibson Tribute

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by bpet2015, Mar 4, 2018.

1. bpet2015

bpet2015 Member

Any information is appreciated. I am considering the Prophecy GX w 490r/489t pickups or possibly a Gibson Tribute w same pickups. Specs are different for sure. Also, I see older Prophecy Guitars being sold with a pair of dirty fingers humbuckers? Any experience welcomed. I played the Tribute. Nice guitar, no frills straight up . I have a 2015 studio w 57s already. Looking for different variations of a les Paul. Thank you.

2. 07rogersg

07rogersg Senior Member

The Gibson has a thin nitro lacquer, 17 degree headstock angle, rosewood fretboard and comes in a soft case. The Epiphone has a thick poly coating, 14 degree headstock angle, ebony fretboard and comes in a hardcase.

If looked after I feel the Gibson will age more gracefully and will retain more of its value, but the Epiphone is more hard wearing (especially in a hardcase) and on paper seems better value for money. It's really up to you but if you're asking what my opinion I'd probably opt for the Gibson.

3. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

The Prophecy neck is set a few frets further "out of the body" than other Les P's. I have one and love the better access to the upper frets.

4. 07rogersg

07rogersg Senior Member

Ah didn't notice it was a 24 fret, although it's scale length is still 24.75 which is odd. Guess it'd feel a little different to a 'traditional' LP.

5. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

I hardly notice a different feel. It does look different.

6. bpet2015

bpet2015 Member

Thank you! Also, if I'm right, the Prophecy is non-weight relieved?

northernguitarguy likes this.
  7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

It's an anvil.

8. sasquatch

sasquatch Premium Member

I like both, but I play my Epiphones more than the Gibson Tribute.
    The Tribute is a beautiful guitar, but it just doesn't get as much attention.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  9. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

Play both ...

10. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

Why limit yourself to just Gibson and Epiphone?

Those 2 guitars are wildly disparaging in specs. The only things those 2 guitars really have in common are the pickups. And I don't consider 490's to be all that good.

11. bpet2015

bpet2015 Member

Ty for all of the input. I did try a 2018 Tribute. It was ok, but fell a little short of the $1100 they are asking imo. I have an Ibanez Premium and a Gibson LP Studio, so I was looking at the Prophecy as sort of a possible cross between the two. 24 fret, thinner neck, LP pickups. Unfortunately, there is one GC nearby and Ive never seen a Prophecy there. Thanks again.

12. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Personally, I would take the Prophecy one one of those skimpy Tribute jobs any day of the week.

13. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I vote for tribute... or MIJ replica if possible...

14. T00DEEPBLUE

LTD EC1000?

15. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

You are moving on a very different direction... EC series are amazing single cut guitars BUT they are way very different than a Les Paul... I purchased EC-401VF because I couldn't afford a real Les Paul, it was an amazing guitar but when I got a Gibson Les Paul, totally different !

16. T00DEEPBLUE

I think moving in a very different direction is something that TS actually wants. A guitar that's a cross between an LP and an Ibanez is pretty much exactly what the ESP Eclipse guitars are. And that's what TS has implied that they want. So I don't see how that recommendation is inappropriate.

Alternatively, if you want something that has a thinner, flatter neck than an LP, has an LP body thickness and one is able to live without the 24 frets, there's always the EC-1000T CTM.

17. northernguitarguy

The upper fret access is one of the most appealing of many features on the Epi.

18. T00DEEPBLUE

Why? I wouldn't consider the upper fret access of an Epiphone Les Paul to be very good... Unless you're talking about the Matt Heafy guitar.

19. northernguitarguy

The access from 17-19 isn't great on a Les Paul. I've played one of these and it is undeniably better.
    [​IMG]

20. T00DEEPBLUE

For the 17-19th, it is a bit better on the Prophecy guitars. But only because the neck is set a little higher up on the body. You're still faced with the same problem higher up the neck. And I say that as somebody who has played a Prophecy EX Les Paul. Anf owns a Futura EX FWIW

That is why I prefer the Matt Heafy guitar so much more. Not to mention the ebony fingerboard while the Prophecy guitars only have rosewood.