Proper Setup

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by davep, Oct 1, 2017.

1. davep

davep Junior Member

It's amazing the difference a good setup makes. I post a NGD on my 2016 TH and mentioned the nuts slots being cut to high.
    I took it in yesterday to have that taken care of. I do all the basic setup myself in most cases, intonation and truss rod adjustments and filing the occasions sharp fret ends but I leave the nut cutting to a professional.
    Along with the nut adjustment he checked the intonation and checked over the guitar.
    What a difference it made. Fretting on the lower fret is more comfortable, the whole guitar just feels right now.

I purchased a few guitars recently and notice most of them all were stock factory setups. The intonation was way off, action high, nuts pinging and didn't stay in tune. No wonder they sold them. They didn't sound or play well at all.
    So anyone that complains their guitar isn't a "good one" try getting it setup properly first.

2. BBD

BBD Senior Member

All that dosh for a TH and the nut is cut too high? Good God. I'm pleased to say the nut is perfect on my bog-standard '14 R9, as is the notching and spacing on the saddles. As I (naively at the time) would have expected on anything coming out of the Custom Shop.

3. jamman

jamman Premium Member

An epiphany .... Lucky the nut on your was cut to high ... That's an easy fix ... Some are cut to low and that's a real issue .... Sounds as if some you bring up are USA models .... That's to be expected . Like you want a properly functioning guitar from Gibson for 2-3K ?? What are you thinking .???... It's the Gibson "life style" being bought . Not a great playing guitar you should be getting for your $$$ ... :lol:
    Just ask HJ .... :shock:

4. davep

davep Junior Member

It is my understanding that many guitar company's do a rough setup and leave the final tweaking to the dealer to fit the customers requirements, some people like different action or string gauge. Maybe they play slide and want high nuts. Who knows.
    Having the nut to low would be a real issue, lucky for me it was the other way around.

5. BigDipper15

BigDipper15 Henry Hater Premium Member

Unacceptable. Any guitar coming out of any custom shop at that price tag should have a flawless setup with low action, no buzzing, perfect frets etc....Anyone ever play a Suhr? EVERY single guitar that leave that factory is FLAWLESSLY setup.

peterjc, FKO and RAG7890 like this.
  6. davep

davep Junior Member

I've owned a few Suhr's and agree it is possible to have flawless setups. Suhr guitars have the best frets dressing of any factory produced guitar I have played, PRS comes in a close second.
    But the final setup from Gibson is hit or miss. QC is very loose to say the least.

7. bdc

bdc Junior Member

I can relate. Recently got a 2017 CS LP Standard. Nut was cut way too high, bridge saddles were machine cut and had nasty burrs sticking out under the strings, making some strings buzz. Fret board and fret markers were rough with milling marks. Frets were rough, unpolished and possibly not crowned as they were somewhat flat on top. Inspectors check list said good to go. Who are these people? Do they know anything about guitars? The thing was built quite well, but it's almost like its not completed, a "kit" guitar to be finished by the purchaser.

8. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Everyone's idea of a flawless setup is different. If I was handed a LP with what most people call low action I would consider it a bad/flawed setup for me.....and would never buy it as a new nut would be needed.
    I do wonder how some people can honestly believe their own view on personal issues is in any way universally applicable.....

monkfish, FKO and PierM like this.
  9. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Yeah but that Setup mentioned earlier probably caters for the bulk of the punters out there. ;) :)

You cannot cater for everyone, so may as well cater for the masses, regardless of whether they really understand what they want etc.

A lot of Gibson Historics have left Gibson with issues. Not all, but too many for the price asked.

:cheers2:

FKO likes this.
  10. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Just for S**t's and giggles ,, I'd love to see some pics of bdc's guitar . Crap happens ,for sure with Gibson , but seeing is ,,,,,,
    Just cause it says Gibson Custom Shop , doesn't mean they actually Custom set it up for your specs.
    RAGS and ARandall are correct .

Setups vs. poor Workmanship and QC are a totally different thing ...

Funny thing is Gibson made their guitars "adjustable ", just so players ,could get it , like they want it .
    A little time ,effort ,couple of basic tools and your good to go in most cases .

Low action is not the end all , be all . You might be surprised how many "known" players have /use what is considered a "high" set up . Something about letting the string fully vibrate .
    Depends on what type music you play . Every Guitar is different .

davep likes this.
  11. PierM

PierM Premium Member

The only aspect that I'd want to be perfect it's the fret dress. All the rest, relief, nut slots (I do prefer a conservative cut that I can fine tune to my like), action etc...are very subjective so would be impossible to make everyone happy.

I do agree with the OP that before bouncing back a guitar people should spend a bit of proper time to set up. Happened to me several time that stock setup was totally POS (for my needs) and I managed to make it perfect just with a good setup, which sometimes may require a superfine fret dress.

davep likes this.
  12. BigDipper15

BigDipper15 Henry Hater Premium Member

C'mon. You know what I mean. You take specs of a setup that you think the majority of people will like and you get it to that point. Like I said. Check out a Suhr.

13. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Bit surprised at this. I take your point about the tyranny of the subjective, but most players don't want a high nut. Those who want a high action can raise the bridge and those who want it really high can increase fore-bow as well - both done in a moment by the owner, no need for a luthier to recut the nut.

14. jamman

jamman Premium Member

IMO it's always better to have the nut cut higher . Gives you room(lower the slots),amd to have it get worn in and they do . cut low and you'll need to replace the nut sooner ... In the same mind set , just lower your action ... In the Middle is a better compromise ,IMO . Sop much depends on what you do and what style of music you play ... Middle ground , for a Large Mfg'er ,I'd think has a better, satisfied customer opinion rating . Just a guess here . Unhappy customers could kill you business .

15. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Several sides to the problem. Yes, low action is probably the most common denominator, but if Gibson cuts the nut for that, then players who want a slightly, or seriously higher action -- and there are plenty -- would need the nut replaced. With the slots a little on the high side, it's easy to lower them. Unless you encounter a hack shop tech, or a store that doesn't even do this kind of basic setup for the buyer. And that's where the real problem lies. It's a little tricky to slot nuts, and easy to ruin them. Which is what lots of people experience. So it's difficult all around, and there's no easy remedy other than to learn to slot your own nuts. Many of us decided to develop this skill because it's simply super helpful. It's not that hard, but the evidence is that most shop techs, for big retailers at least, either don't know what they're doing, or don't care, or both.