[PROJECT] Fender Twin

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Kuroyama, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Kuroyama

Kuroyama V.I.P. Member

OK, so the place I shop often has used gear... sometimes they have "junk".

THIS JUST IN: Fender Twin (broken) They want less than $100.
    They tell me that it should cost about $600 to repair. But even then, something might blow and it would be irreparable.

Now, I know JACK about fixing guitar amplifiers. But Im handy with a soldering iron, and Im patient. (I also repaired PCs and servers for a living for over 10 years). Having said that, I SHOULD include that I also know JACK about electric theory. (Which meant that to know that computer parts were damaged I went by OS, application, and or POST error messages.)

Where Im going with this is... FENDER TWIN for under $100. I can tell you that with the volume at 4, it sounds fine. Around 5 it starts to get all staticky, then its like the volume of static gets shot up to 10. Also, 1 channel is out. The amp is not playable as is. I question its safety as is. BUT, in the home I normally use my Line6 Pod anyway. If it took me a year to repair this amp, thatd be OK with me to have such a low priced amp that I really like. The only one I like better is the Marshall JCM900. I should mention that in one of the lower pics you should be able to see that the leads connector for one of the speaker cones is broken off. That seems like (one of) the easy fixes that will be needed. Is there a resource online for Fender Twin schematics? troubleshooting?

So... this goes out to anyone who has either repaired a Twin or built from scratch... Is this a great deal for someone whos handy? Or is this a money pit I should run, not walk away from?? (of course, pics included)

I also want to note my current house amp is a Marshall AVT2000 (AKA AVT20) which isnt wholly terrible, but AINT no Fender Twin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kuroyama

Kuroyama V.I.P. Member

3. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

$100? Why haven't you bought it already?

4. Kuroyama

Kuroyama V.I.P. Member

My instinct said to, but, I make a lot of decisions like that with the big head. It said that projects are great, but money pits are not. I wanted to sound out from people who a) arent trying to sell me junk, or b) trying to hoard a diamond in the rough for themselves or their friends. Its on hold until Saturday. Ive got till then to decide what I want to do.

Part of my worry is that the parts alone could run to $500 or more - Ive never shopped amp parts before. I feel like parts (Tubes notwithstanding) should be inexpensive.... at least so much so that after repair Ill still come in WAY under budget. But what if the transformers need replacing? what if I need to replace ALL the tubes? How much outlay are we talking about? I dont even know what Twins go for. (Im looking this stuff up tonight) so whatever knowlegde you can lay on me would be muy abrigado my friend.

5. if6was9

if6was9 Senior Member

6. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

+1

grab it. even if it cost $700 to fix which i doubt it will for $800 you got a great amp thats in good shape

worst case you can part it out and break even just the FS alone will get you $30 or so on flea bay. check this site out for great info
    http://www.ampwares.com/fender.asp

7. hipofutura

hipofutura Senior Member

Buy it! From your description I'm guessing the trannys are fine. A bad tranny is going to pop fuses or smoke (itself or other components). More than likely you are looking at replacing some combination of caps and resistors which are not expensive. There could be a loose/broken lead. You will have to do some reading/research and bone up on your circuit troubleshooting skills. Can you open it up and do a visual to look for obvious problems? What year is the amp?

8. Kuroyama

Kuroyama V.I.P. Member

Yeah... Its sounding like Im gonna haveta pull the trigger on this thing. Hipofutura... I dont know the year of the amp. Im presuming it to be a reissue. the amp might be busted, but the place I shop would still charge $50000 for a busted splinter from one of Hendrixs guitars if they thought they could get it. Im pretty sure this thing is only worth as much it sounds. Which currently is nothing. In Japan, people dont really work on their own stuff. I can get can get into that some other time but for now it explains why the cost would be so low. (yet, not zero)

I didnt smell any smoke from the chassis as I pawed over it to take the pictures. Like I said, I worked with busted servers for years so Im pretty sensitive to burnt electronic smell. It smells like: "Call the wives, we arent leaving yet".

wife: "How long will it take you to fix it?"
    Tech: "Baby if I could predict such things I wouldnt turn screwdrivers for a living"

So I do have SOME hope for this thing... Will keep all updated.

9. siore

siore Senior Member

I'm thinking reissue. Quick check here:
    The Fender Amp Field Guide

Anyhow, $100 is great! Take it before it's gone. If anything, cosmetics are looking good and speakers, footswitch, etc are included. And I do understand about the japanese not keen on fixing stuff out. First sign of damage and it's off to the dumpster. At least that's what my relatives in Japan say.

10. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

11. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Looks like a Custom Twin (i.e., Evil Twin). Made from 1995 to the present, according to the Fender Amp Field Guide.

Buy it. Fix it. Love it.

12. Kuroyama

Kuroyama V.I.P. Member

Ive noticed that naming in some docs... "Evil Twin" What is that about? Nasty to work on? unreliable? or good to go, like the twin sister with the Butterfly tramp stamp above her moneymaker... because I cant think of a better way to take care of a guitar if thats the case...

13. HellfireLP

HellfireLP Senior Member

i think its evil...cuz it has a gain channel...but i could be wrong...

14. Splattle101

I don't know why they call it that. In general, the master volume versions of these old Fenders are not considered as desirable as the older non-master versions. For a Twin, I think that distinction is probably worth a bowl of old bollocks. These are loud amps, so a MV is not a bad idea. But in a cork sniffing kind of way, this amp is not as desirable as a non-MV version.

Is it bad? No.

Is it a good amp? Most definitely, yes.

Is it worth $100 + repair? Hell yes!

15. siore

siore Senior Member

I can't remember if it was for the red-knob twins or the evil twin (or both), but the extras fender put on the amp, on printed circuit boards no less, plus the subpar quality of components it came with, made it tough to work on. Kinda like you fix one part, you break off another two while doing so.

I'm trying to dig up the source (I'll let you know when I come across it again), but that was my understanding why it was so 'evil'. There was a red-knob twin for sale cheap in my location, and that was the reason I decided not to pull the trigger. But that thing was nowhere near as good-looking as the twin you posted pics of. And not as cheap as $100.

BTW, these are just stuff I've heard. I've never worked on one. You say you're handy with the soldering iron, so you may see that as a challenge. At the very least, I suggest you take a quick peek inside the chassis. See if there's anything that jumps out at ya. Try asking around on FDP as well. I'm not very credible compared to the fender experts over there. :D

16. Splattle101

But seriously, even if the guts of it are a total mess, if the speakers, chassis and transformers are ok, it's a steal. For a couple of hundred US$, you could get Nik Azzam at Ceriatone to make you a complete Fender Twin component board to drop in there. Then you'd have a hand-wired Fender Twin.

That's worst case.

For $100 it's a no-brainer.

17. lazz

lazz Senior Member

buy it now.in the uk their £1100

18. drewbertca

drewbertca V.I.P. Member

I'd buy it.....from what you're saying it could be faulty preamp tubes causing some of the problems and a bad volume pot could be causing the other problems.....there could be more but that would be an inexpensive place to start looking

19. HellfireLP

HellfireLP Senior Member

+100...that is a great idea...:hmm:

20. Dave C

Dave C Member

Buy it!!!! As has been mentioned it's worth more than that to part it out and I doubt there is very much wrong with it if it plays ok up to 4 on the volume. All problems mentioned could be tube issues which are easily remedied. Even if the problems are internal it sounds like the transformers are probably ok and those are the most expensive parts in an amp...resisters and caps are relatively cheap in comparison.