Progress photos of my Reissue undergoing repairs/upgrades

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by alnico59, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Norton

Norton Senior Member

BBD I understand completely. I also understand physics and work in acoustics.

Your original post “ I’m pretty sure...”

You’ve got convictions and focus...and this is not a real problem. Potentially? Yes. Actual real world, strings on a guitar problem ? No.

rykus likes this.
  2. BBD

BBD Senior Member

No, I'm saying that longer studs increase the conduction of vibrational energy from the strings to the body. Specifically from the strings to the mahogany, because mahogany is more susceptible to forced vibration than the hard maple cap.

I suspect that drilling a couple of mm more into the maple has minimal effect compared to sinking long studs right down into the mahogany below it.

The bridge is effectively coupled to the stud / bridge thumbwheels assembly by the very high string tension forcing it down, so it's difficult to see how further modification would make any significant difference.

3. BBD

BBD Senior Member

If you are correct, then the corollary is that the MF mod has no effect on tone.

4. Norton

Norton Senior Member

Nope. Not my position or my point.

On the contrary. Tightly threaded stainless steel bridge posts are great.

How far they go into the body isn’t much of a concern, at least not one to give you “horrors”.

This is Esp true if you’re tearing a guitar down for refin...replacing a fingerboard etc. I’d be more concerned with the “unbuild” and the rebuild.

Hide glue? Big neck joint? Big neck? All good ideas. Different materials do sound and react differently. But I would not give a second thought to putting bridge posts deep into a body...past any maple cap.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    rykus likes this.
  5. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Norton, all you've done so far is argue from assertion (logical fallacy), appeal to your own authority (logical fallacy) and fail to make any kind of point at all.

6. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Anyway guys, my guitar, regardless of how deep the bridge studs go in, is going to be awesome when it's completed! :thumbs:

rykus, jenton70, Wolf ^_^ and 9 others like this.
  7. Big John

Big John more is more V.I.P. Member

Sorry 'bout that. Looking forward to the end result!

alnico59 likes this.
  8. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Yes, staying on topic would be good. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

alnico59 likes this.
  9. Norton

Norton Senior Member

My point is succinct.

Going into the mahogany with your bridge posts isn’t going to be a problem.

That’s it. Simple.

BBD, your “horror” driven fears are based on your Assumption: “I’m pretty sure...”
    of some sort of incompatible vibrational resonances. Which seems to be challenged, not by me, but by the fact that the body itself is made of the lamination of maple to mahogany.

It’s a great notion to conduct a set of experiments on. I’ll be playing my guitars and not worrying about my bridge post depth until the findings are published.

10. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter

I'm just gonna sneak in a comment ....there is a relationship between the front and the back and how they translate vibration and one of the vehicles are the posts. How they interact at different depths or whether or not the threaded rods even matter is up for debate.

However looking at an Acoustic violin (I know....I know....Acoustics aren't solid bodies) There is a bass bar on the bass side of the strings to thicken the mass and keep most of the resonance on the top, (its located along the inside of the top), and there is a sound post that "marries" the top and the back. Its placed on the high side of the strings inside the body to translate the higher energy to the maple back to increase the volume of the instrument. Its placement is critical to the sound of a violin, so is its material and its carve (sound post) ...

So there is a relationship,

A cool experiment would be to have one rod go deep and one rod stay at factory specs. Say, if the guitar is muddy then allow the post to go deeper into the high side and see if it changes the character.....

rykus and endial like this.
  11. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

In reality the mapleflame seems to make the guitar have extended range in the treble end of the spectrum. Both in the ones I have done myself and for a good portion of others who have done it.

So its fair to say some guesses are less grounded in knowledge than others.

12. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Argument from assertion is a logical fallacy. You need to explain *why*, and you don't.

This is still confused. Nobody is talking about 'incompatible vibrational resonances', the lamination isn't a 'challenge' to what is being argued, it is a design feature that exists because the argument is correct*. Finally, there is no assumption. There are facts:

1/ Maple is more resistant to forced vibration than mahogany (*which is why there is a maple cap in the first place)

2/ So, introducing the bridge posts into the mahogany will increase vibrational transmission from the bridge into the body

3/ Which will remove energy faster from the strings which will negatively affect the amplified sound

As I said a while back, if you don't understand the argument, don't get into it.

Or it's just a tone suck which thins out the amplified sound.

Good idea.

13. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Staggered fret install, to be sure the new frets tangs are not back bowing the neck. Checking with a straight edge all thru the process. Starting out with Vise Grip install tool then switching to the Caul Block tool for the upper frets.

Bye bye nibs. I much prefer the extra fret area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rykus, jenton70, monkfish and 4 others like this.
  14. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

This is a nice board.

15. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Idk, was 1991 a "good wood" year? Ha ha!

16. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

A nibless LP sure indicates a keeper. :fingersx:

17. Norton

Norton Senior Member

“I’m pretty sure...”.

18. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

Being right or wrong, I don't like the fact that excessive debate is hijacking OP's post.
    Watching a LP getting upgraded is such an enjoyment, let's not ruin it.

19. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter

Agreed.

Hope you like your upgrades!

20. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Agreed.

Please, start your own scientific threads elsewhere so we can enjoy this thread for the reason it's here.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    fleahead, jenton70 and KS 5150 like this.