Progress photos of my Reissue undergoing repairs/upgrades

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by alnico59, Dec 11, 2017.

1. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

Just receive some pics from my Luthier and should have more soon. The guitar is up at Big Mike's Custom (Formerly Guitar Works) in Orange CT.

Was tossing with the idea of letting this one go, 1991 '59 Flametop Reissue. But in the end with the current market conditions I decided to dive in deeper with it. It's a great playing/sounding guitar with a really comfortable neck carve. It just needed a few upgrades to really make it mine. Here it is right before I sent her out.

[​IMG]

Here it is now gutted up on the bench. I think the fluorescent lighting in the shop made it appear tomato soup! Frets are out and it's a carcass!!

[​IMG]

Upgrades will be:
    Jescar 110/53 frets
    Creamtone aged nickel ABR-1
    harness
    Big Mike's Custom A5/A4 PAF repros (raw nickel covers)
    Switchcraft selector w/ aged switch
    Dimarzio vintage low torque 500k pots
    NOS Russian PIO caps
    Bone nut
    Kluson tuners (direct replacement)
    Aged light weight aluminum tailpiece
    Maple Flame Mod

I'm excited about this project and already know regardless of how good the guitar was before it will come back much more to my liking. I will post more pics in this thread along with the finished product.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    jamman, Sct13, RAG7890 and 3 others like this.
  2. BBD

BBD Senior Member

I'd hold off on the Maple Flame mod. Seriously. It gives me the horrors, that one.

I'm pretty sure that all it does is to increase vibrational transmission from the strings to the mahogany body which is *not* a good idea. That hard, vibration-resistant maple cap is there for a reason. And in the original design, the bridge screws don't penetrate through the hard maple cap into the mahogany for a reason.

Piping energy out of the strings and into the body faster via long bridge screws will reduce the loudness, sustain and brightness of the amplified tone. Why not just try the guitar out when all the rest of the work is done and see if it's just fine without (IMO) a potentially damaging and quite possibly unnecessary mod?

3. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Platinum Supporter Premium Member

What is this mod exactly? Never heard of it.

endial and XpensiveWino like this.
  4. Norton

Norton Senior Member

I’m sorry but that’s kind of funny. Thinking that the original lp’s had “a reason” for setting the bridge posts “only so far”.

They were pretty much making it up as they went along. As evidenced by the continuous design and production tweaks.

And complete neck off guitar rebuilds. Hide glue etc.

Taking your bridge posts deeper isn’t going to be a problem.

5. BBD

BBD Senior Member

The errors in the energy flow description are where, exactly? Disagreement without substance is boring, Norton.

6. BBD

BBD Senior Member

This. There's a link a couple of comments in that goes to the Other Forum where the idea took off. It's difficult to see how doing this to an LP would 'improve' it unless it was very, very bright to start with.

7. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Thanks for posting. Never heard of this.

Uh, yeah, that interests me none, but whatever floats ones boats.

8. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

I appreciate your concern BBD. I just spoke with my guy and he explained he does not drill deeper, only enough so they bottom out. The problem with this guitar in particular are the stock screws are too short for the neck set and the new, taller frets are going to compound that issue. I included a picture of the maple top to show the depth. I should have more pictures soon.

[​IMG]

I had the same mod done on my 2014 R8 as the screws were not bottoming out and were too short, especially after the re-fret. Honestly that guitar has more sustain and is brighter.

So maybe by not drilling through the maple cap it is not a true Maple Flame Mod per se.

L96A1 likes this.
  9. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Ah, I see. Well, that's good. Deeper in the maple but not through into the mahogany should increase rigidity which is a plus. Sounds like your man knows what he is doing :). And I'd agree - unless you go right through into the mahogany then it's not really the MF mod.

10. Norton

Norton Senior Member

energy flow disruption… is even more funny.

Dont glue a maple top onto a mahogany back… it'll sound terrible

warprider likes this.
  11. Mark V Guitars

Mark V Guitars バナナフライング...

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

12. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

Its all explained at the back of beauty of the burst book, very interesting reading stuff. The maple cap is there to enhance string vibration, same reason why a stiff neck is ideal for string vibration.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  13. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

This is exciting, wish I could do such thing here.
    BTW, thought 90’s had bone nut(or is it plastic?)

14. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

Not sure. But I'll find out. In any case a new nut will need to be cut due to the new frets being taller.

15. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

Cool, looking forward to episode 2.

alnico59 likes this.
  16. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The maple cap maximises string vibration by minimising the conduction of vibrational energy through into the body. I'm pleased to hear that BOTB supports what I was saying about deliberate design choices by Gibson.

rockstar232007 and L96A1 like this.
  17. BBD

BBD Senior Member

If you don't understand the topic, it's best not to post.

18. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Nice , Keepers are a sure thing ,,,, Sell 1 you don't "Love"
    Jescar 110/53 frets ? .53 height ??
    Just wondering , I've had a refret done (should be out to me today) I got some .55'' jescar and the #'s looked weird to me . Getting Taller Frets ? Good thing ,imo .. Easy pickin :fingersx:
    Either way , new Frets will feel great ,, Enjoy :cheers2:

L96A1 likes this.
  19. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

www.lutherie.net/fret.chart.html

My guy told me Jescar. But this charts shows the .110/.053 as coming from Stew-Mac. I was unaware Stew-Mac produced their own wire? In any case I have the exact fret wire on my R8 and it's a dream to play. Smooth, easy bends all day.

20. Big John

Big John bigger is better V.I.P. Member

Interesting opinion on the Maple Flame mod, BBD, which has actually been around for decades before someone at the LPF named it after Steve's forum handle.

So you're saying if the longer studs make contact with the mahogany, then it deadens the mechanical vibrations being transferred from the studs. But don't you think that the resulting increase in metal-wood contact between the studs and the full depth of the maple cap by doing this mod would affect it more?

On another note, what's your opinion of the bridge just sitting loose on the studs? If the bridge were to be mechanically coupled to the studs by using either side screws or by using a flat-head screws instead of studs, do you think that would also increase vibration transference into the studs?

rykus and RAG7890 like this.