probuckers

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by shutterbiker, Feb 27, 2017.

1. shutterbiker

shutterbiker Member

I am toying with the idea of removing the covers on my probuckers. I have removed the covers on the duncans in my Hamer, so I am comfortable doing it. I am wondering if anyone has done this, and if anyone knows what color bobbins are underneath the covers. I have a SD Jazz neck pickup, so if I decided to just replace them I would only need a bridge pickup, but that would lead to electronics upgrade. I kinda like the probuckers, but am also kinda undecided. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Steve

2. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/269491-epi-probuckers-close-view-pt-1-a.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/269554-epi-probuckers-close-view-pt-2-a.html

I thought you might find these links useful.

HTH,

3. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

I have a pair that are zebra, and I think that is pretty common.
    You can check each coil by removing one of the brass screws under the base plate.

4. shutterbiker

shutterbiker Member

Thanks for the replies. LtKojak, thanks for the links! While I'm at it, would it be worthwhile to upgrade the harness if I was going to stick with the probuckers? Or would that only be necessary if upgrading pickups?

5. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

If you mod the Probuckers as I did, it'll be worth to look at the harness.

First, measure the actual value of the pots, and replace'em only if they measure less than 500K. I prefer to have LINEAR pots for Volume and Audio for tone.

HTH,

6. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

I'm a big fan of Epi's covered Probuckers! They sound great. I've got Four LPs (2 Customs, 1 PlusTop Pro, and a Florentine) and a Sheraton Pro-II. Each guitar sounds quite distinctive! I have no deficit with the sound of the Probuckers for the tones and musical genres I prefer.

If I were dissatisfied with the tone from covered Probuckers, I'd be far more inclined to just replace them (and perhaps the wiring), rather than fussing with removing their covers and cleaning the wax. If you leave them stock, you can always sell or reinstall them. YMMV.

7. shutterbiker

shutterbiker Member

I've been going back and forth about this since I got the guitar. I played my hamer and my epiphone back to back yesterday. My hamer has 59/59 duncans in it. The probuckers don't miss much in comparison, but I guess that I'm hung up on the look of open humbuckers. Like I said, I have a black jazz neck pickup(even have a nickel cover for it) so, I may pick up a 59, jb, or custom 5 for it. I already ordered the parts to make a harness and switch setup. It would probably be simpler to do pickups at that time. MusicLaw, you are probably right about selling the probucker setup rather than messing with covers and wax.

8. donjuan87

donjuan87 Junior Member

hey all new here just wondering if all the probuckers will be as are in Ltkojak's pictures or will it vary from guitar to guitar? I have a honeyburst plustop pro but really like the uncovered pickup look. Also could anyone recommend any replacement pickups for the probuckers of other brands, I was thinking of Seymour Duncan alnico pro ii to get closer to a slash type tone but was wondering if these will get me any closer to a gary moore/blues tone at the same time? I know he reverses the pickups to alter the phase any advice is greatly received.
    cheers Don.

9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Only 1 of Gary's LPs had an OOP combo, and his most famous blues wasn't played with that guitar. And single pickups don't have any tone shift from an OOP wiring anyhow.

10. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Alnico II Pros are probably not bright enough for a Gary Moore thing. They are really more of a buttery pickup, and don't quite have the attack you'd need (although they are some of my favorites). I'd think a '59 set would be closer to Gary Moore.

11. donjuan87

donjuan87 Junior Member

Cheers for the info guys much appreciated, any ideas on the uncovered probuckers or is it a lottery .
    Btw I couldn’t remove and comfortably refit them at the right height lol.

12. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

13. donjuan87

donjuan87 Junior Member

I'm dying to know if a Chinese epi ptp has zebra as standard, my local guitar tech (very good) said it'll set me back about 25 credits of the realm to remove the covers (as I'm not confident doing so myself and don't have a soldering iron or any idea how to remove wax) but I don't want to shell out for disappointment haha.