Problems setting up pedal board.

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Jackangus, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

Hi guys,
    Struggling with my pedal board. I made a board and have tried to set up the way most sites say you should. I also know there is no guaranteed right or wrong way, but as I know nothing I will go with what sites are saying is the norm.

Will only mention the pedals I have. This is what certain website is saying.

Guitar,wah,muff,volume,loop,delay,amp.
    Doing this I get nothing apart from some hissing like I have it on reasonably high volume but no sound from the guitar or effects.

Tried it this way and it works but sounds pretty bad, really tinny, very trebley , also noisy.
    Guitar,volume,loop,delay,muff,wah,amp.

I am using a 1 spot power, but that is only powering the delay, everything else is on battery.

These are the pedals i'm using.
    Cry Baby Wah original
    Big Muff PI
    BossRC-1 loop station
    Ibanez analog delay mini
    Boss FV-500H volume pedal

I have a compressor pedal on the way which I know it supposed to help with noise, but the quality is pretty terrible I am getting at the moment.

Any ideas people?

2. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Bum cable and/or pedal. Disconnect everything and start adding one pedal at a time to the signal path to see where the fault is.

2 people like this.
  3. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

What kboman said.

I would first plug into each pedal between guitar and amp individually to make sure they were all working and set so you can hear them, then add them in your chain one at a time to see if you have a bad cable.

Rocker pedals like volumes and wahs can make you think you have a problem when they get clicked on when you are not aware. Both me and our lead guitar player have been temporarily stymied by what was wrong with our tone before figuring out the wha pedal accidentally got clicked on as was partially cocked.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

Just unplugged the wah pedal,and plugged into the next pedal in the chain which is the muff, and the tinny trebly sound is gone and it sounds OK.

Can't try anymore tonight as its midnight and my missus will get the ****s.

Does this mean the wah pedals ****ed? it sounds OK on its own.
    Will go through everything more thoroughly tomorrow.

Still strange I'm getting zero noise going through guitar,wah,muff,volume,delay,amp.but if I swap the guitar and amp lead round it works, Does not make sense.

5. Big John

Big John bigger is better V.I.P. Member

Uh, no. The way a compressor works can actually add noise to a signal.

Try this order and see what happens...

guitar, vol, muff, wah, dly, loop, amp

1 person likes this.
  6. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Maybe you need one of those directional cables? :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I've actually had similar issues and it took me a while to understand what the heck was going on. I think one of your leads is fooked and needs repairing/replacing. The Loopstation likely has a buffered output that sends a strong enough signal to the amp to negate the bad cable after it somewhat. When that cable goes from guitar to board it gets the weakest signal of the whole signal chain and the fookedness can have maximum effect.

Given your first paragraph it's possible that the patch lead between wah and Muff is bad too. Try another one in the same spot and see if that helps.

This are my guesses given the information posted. I hope all it takes is a new cable! :)

7. crosstownblues

crosstownblues Wraptail Fan Premium Member

From your audio description, it almost sounds like the wah is on..

1 person likes this.
  8. sonar

sonar Senior Member

It's happened to a lot of us, sometimes at the worst times.

Start with one pedal and add, not all your pedals and subtract.

I'm a big proponent for quality cables. They don't need to be expensive and there are a lot of online cable makers on the guitar forums who can put together a package at reasonable prices. Or you can make your own -solder or solderless. Either way I'd be consistent with the same type of cable and jacks for your patch cables. Life is too short for crappy cables.

You've got 2 potential tone sucks in this chain. The original Crybaby and the passive volume pedal.

The Boss loop station has a buffer that should help the volume pedal, but where to put the buffer (Boss Looper) in the chain is the great experiment that only you can figure out. And sometimes a well placed buffer still doesn't help a passive volume pedal (It gets complicated and I haven't had any coffee today, so I'll let someone else explain). The simplest option is to ditch the volume pedal altogether and use your guitar's volume control(s).

As for the Crybaby either get another Wah with a True Bypass switch or instal a TB in your pedal. Your Wah will be okay on its own or with one, maybe two pedals, but add any more and your loss of high-end response is really going to take a hit, unless you add true bypass with the Crybaby.

9. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

What quality cables would you guys recommend without breaking the bank?

10. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

Planet Waves, Pro Co and Live Wire offer decent mid priced cables. Just try to avoid the no-name junk from China and being sucked into the "You have to have this $80, 20' instrument cable or you''ll sound like ****e" hype.

Our local Mom-n-Pop Music store offers really nice in house made cables using top shelf components so see if your shop has something similar as they can be a great value.

Also its good to have a few spares if you are going to gig or travel to jams. Even good cables can fail unexpectedly.

11. kboman

kboman Senior Member

ReWind make cables as well pickups and so far they seem well liked. I've made my own with Van Damme cables and Switchcraft + Neutrik plugs.

12. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

What about the chain cables? Which good brands would you recommend?
    I have the multi color pack 6 for $12, which I know is not good. That was just to get me going.
    What do you recommend?

13. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Hi Jack,

I would go Guitar, Volume, Wah, Muff, Delay, Loop, this should help and the compressor after the wah and before the muff :)

14. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Ditch the multi pack of 6. The ones that Guitar Center/MF sell are the worst garbage out there. I'll assume yours are similar.

Check with Rewind (here) or go on The Gear Page and search "cable makers."

Another option is diy.

Most guitar players should have a basic level of soldering anyway. I like Mogami 2524 cable and Neutrik NP2X 1/4 plugs for cable leads. I soldered up 3, 15" guitar cables (1 for a spare) about 8 years ago and haven't looked back.

At about $1 a foot for cable and around $3 a plug, the savings is well worth the effort.

For patch cables you could go with Mogami 2319 cable (easier to bend in tight spaces) with decent pancake 45 degree angle plugs. Lava cable also sells a bulk kit you solder yourself at around $50 for 10 plugs and 10 feet of cable.

Another option with the pedalboard is to go solderless. I like Lava Cable ELC mini kits (45 degree angle) and pretty much have exclusively used these since they were introduced a dozen years ago. I bought 2 kits and still have over 15 feet of unused cable after years of cutting new cables for my rotating pedal boards. Solderless cost more ($70-$75 on sale for 10" cable/10 right angle plugs) but are really nice if you like to mix things up and are a little lazy, which a lot of pedal users like to do.

15. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Hi Jack,

I would go Guitar, Volume, Wah, Muff, Delay, Loop, this should help and the compressor after the wah and before the muff :)