Probably a dumb question about pickups and potentiometers

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Tonebro, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Tonebro

Tonebro Junior Member

Not sure where to post this but here it is:

I have a set of pickups and a bag of electronics (potentiometers, switch, wiring, etc.) from RS Guitarworks that I haven't haven't installed yet due to lack of funds, so they've just been laying around. Whilst following Jordan Peterson's invulnerable advice to clean my room, I moved the wiring kit and the pickups together and they were magnetically attracted to each other in a way that was not insignificant. Question: will this affect either the potentiometers or the pickups? I spent good money on each and would be really disappointed if that were the case.

(I also could be imagining things; a magnet in my ecig recently ruined the screen on my laptop by being rested upon it accidentally, so I may only be paranoid. Hopefully that's all it is.)

2. Big John

Big John bigger is better V.I.P. Member

nope

3. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Premium Member

Nope again, pots are not bothered by magnetism.

The pickups aren't either. Their magnets are magnetized by a machine hundreds of times more powerful than the strength of the magnets in your pickups.

Only exception I can think of is some of the newer ones made with Neodynium, a Rare Earth Magnet that is incredibly powerful for its size.

They can have a bad effect on normal pickup magnets if they get too close.

Carry on, you should be fine! Have fun!

This link will show you some of the dangerous types I am referencing just as an FYI.

My buddy Dave makes a ceramic and Neodynium humbucker that won't play nice with Alnicos.

http://sigilpickups.com/product/sigil-trendbuckers/

NewDayHappy likes this.
  4. Malikon

Malikon Henshin! V.I.P. Member

:laugh2:

awesome

bulletproof and NewDayHappy like this.
  5. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

that one I had to see . from a man who advocates the use of DMT ( also good advice :thumb: )

Dun Ringill and Malikon like this.
  6. Malikon

Malikon Henshin! V.I.P. Member

My room is never messy though :laugh2:

#IRock :dude:

DADGAD likes this.
  7. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

Ultimately, you should go ahead and install those pickups!

8. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

I hope Peterson is all for licking pussy!

DADGAD likes this.
  9. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

Well he doesn’t believe in equality of outcome, so you can tell your Girlfriend/wife that’s why you finish first. Just tell her you have a gold medal in sex. You always come first.

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  10. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

As Borat would say:

"I win!"
    :laugh2:

DADGAD likes this.
  11. Tonebro

Tonebro Junior Member

When I did DMT I went through a dream-like portal exclusively through and around my messy room. I think Jung was trying to tell me something.

12. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

@Tonebro The truth is that nobody can answer this question without knowing what magnet types your pickups each have and how they were oriented when sitting together.

Nothing bad could have happened to the pots or caps.

Likely, nothing bad happened to your pickups, since you said they were sitting in the way they wanted to be attracted to each other, but if they were not aligned evenly, and/or if one pickup has stronger magnets than the other (for example, one is A5 and the other is A3) than, yes, something could have been weakened or somewhat misaligned, magnetically.

In all likeliness, they will work. Demagnetizing the pickups entirely, to the point you get no sound, is extremely difficult. ...but if something got a little misaligned or partially degaussed you might have some unbalance across your strings or some other subtle anomaly.

In any case, no permanent damage could be done. Magnets can always be recharged to saturation or whatever original charge level they held from the factory.

Pickup magnets are not "on or off" they can have various degrees of charge and various alignments across the bar. Just because they "work," doesn't mean nothing changed.

bulletproof likes this.