Price for Tribute Plus that had a neck repair?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by dbagmaximus, Sep 25, 2017.

1. dbagmaximus

dbagmaximus Senior Member

I have a chance to buy a Tribute Plus today for $330 with a hard case. The pictures of the break are only from one side and not very clear..will inspect further when if/when I go to meet them and check for any weird stuff and a lack of the tonez.

But assuming it looks fairly professionally done, how much would you be willing to pay? (And I know a lot of people wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole so let's assume you are open to the idea of it.)

Thanks in advance guys

2. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

Seeing is believing, proof will be in the pudding then. Also check that the guitar wasn't stripped.....pull pickups, check electronics etc.

Seeing as how good examples of these come up used at GC for $450 at times, don't know that I would hit it.

3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

The price of the 2 Gibson Pickups and an Epi Hardcase would be around 300$ I guess,

well, then you'll get the guitar for 30$

4. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Senior Member

The last '57 classics I sold (out of a T+) went for $157 on ebay. You can buy the case for $$110 at MF. The bigger issue is how was it put together? I used to repair these and sell them. But in the last 2 years the prices for a broken one have gone north of $300. Add $125 for a repair/finish on the neck and you're in unbroken used territory. My supposition (and it is just my guess) is that a number of people have decided that fixing one is no big deal. That is until they try it. Ask the seller what he used to "fix" it with. What kind of clamping pressure he used. If he used anything but Titebond I, run. As mentioned, make sure the pickups haven't been switched out for $40 used Epi HBs. Look at the nut and see if there is proper gap between it and the headstock. Sight down the neck and see if the headstock looks lined up. Lay a small straight edge across the break. Is there a gap on either side? Personal opinion, you'd be better off buying a broken one and having the good folks here help you repair it yourself.

Dolebludger likes this.
  5. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

i think $250-300.

Who likes this.
  6. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

Me.......... ~$200

Who likes this.
  7. kiko

kiko Senior Member

$200 if the repair is good but why settle for a repaired guitar?

Who likes this.
  8. GRASS

GRASS Senior Member

I see broken neck Gibsons and Epis for sale and the sellers always say the joint is even stronger than new.
    So why Gibson/Epi dont just break them first is a mystery. :dunno:

JohnnyN and Who like this.
  9. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Broken neck Epi formula (for me):

• $75 or less, just buy it, fix it, give it away.
    • My preference would be one that didn't get repaired yet.
    Otherwise:
    • Price you see used ones selling for, minus $150
    • Minus another $100, because I'm just going to flip it or give it away.
    • If this gets me to under $75, see rule #1

That's just me. If you are looking for a solid good quality guitar, a headstock break shouldn't slow you down. I have three (two Epis). They are excellent guitars.

If you think you'll ever sell it, beware the next person will have the same trepidation you have. Make this seller pay that price, not you.

10. GRASS

GRASS Senior Member

I wouldn't touch a broken neck unless I could sell the parts for what I paid for the guitar.