Price Check with a Refret?

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Scelestus, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Scelestus

Scelestus Senior Member

So this came in and by the time I got there someone else had it on hold. They didn't take it and I've got a couple of days to decide.

It's in really nice condition - a few dings through the paint on the corners and a few weather checks out from the strap button by the neck joint, but other than that it's in probably the nicest shape I've seen.

It has obviously been refretted, though. Whoever did it did a good job but it's not vintage Gibson wire.

Can anyone offer an opinion on how it's priced?

https://www.elderly.com/catalog/product/view/id/144276/s/gibson-les-paul-jr-1959/category/821/

NorlinBlackBeauty likes this.
  2. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

Nice find! Always really liked them. Best of luck - keep us posted. See how much wiggle room they'll give (I have no idea).

Scelestus likes this.
  3. Scelestus

Scelestus Senior Member

Thanks. I know that the answer is no wiggle room. I have an R7 on layaway already and this guitar will cost me a lot in trades. But it's a really nice one and they don't come along here very often.

Edit: The serial number looks kind of high compared to the famous bursts, but my searching this and other forums it seems like other models had "higher" numbers.

4. NorlinBlackBeauty

Then decide how much you want it. Gibson no longer makes them like that. It is a real gem - I'd love to have a go with that one.

Scelestus likes this.
  5. NorlinBlackBeauty

Are you concerned they are less than honest with the dating? Elderly has a stellar reputation in the Martin world.

CCK and Scelestus like this.
  6. Scelestus

Scelestus Senior Member

I have absolutely no qualms at all about Elderly. Frankly, it's that I don't have the guitar budget that a lot of collectors do so it's harder for me to take an objective view.

7. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

Nice piece. You can always make an offer - all they can say is no. It's worth whatever the market will bear, and that number is always in flux. Good luck!

8. sws1

sws1 V.I.P. Member

"All original parts" and "nice finish" is not necessarily the same as "all original INCLUDING the finish". That finish is awfully nice for a refretted guitar.

Make sure you ask ALL the questions.
    Repairs
    Solder joints
    Re-finished
    Touched-up finish
    etc.

These are things for which dealers can choose their words carefully.

pinefd and RevWillie like this.
  9. Scelestus

Scelestus Senior Member

I got a call this morning about it. I put it on hold three minutes before close and they opened 25 minutes before the call. They had a line of people asking about it in that 28 minute window so I let it go. Thanks for your help everyone. I'm just not priced into the vintage market yet.

10. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

this

11. Scelestus

Scelestus Senior Member

I have to say I'm not 100% sure it's a refret, but the frets are pretty big and wide. I'd think vintage frets properly dressed (which Elderly always does if necessary unless an instrument is as-is) would be smaller than these.

Given that I thought it could be a refret.

RevWillie likes this.