Price Check on '65 Gibson SG - Player - Good Deal? Semi-Panic

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by lumino, Sep 8, 2016.

1. lumino

lumino Junior Member

Hi Guys,

I'm calling for help out of a bit desperation and thereby ask to forgive me if I put this topic in the wrong sub-forum:

I'm about to buy a (supposingly) '65 SG Standard. The seller owns the SG since '75, the previous owner was a known german jazz musician (Eddy Marron).
    He didn't play it in the meantime, it just fell off one time.

Issues:
    - Headstock cracked because SG fell; this got glued profesionally 1986. (He even has the invoice)
    - Trussrod and toggle-switch plate missing
    - Maestro got replaced by fixed bridge

Serial numbers from the owner:
    - headstock: 323782
    - poti: C-BA-811-1053 500 KAT 137 63 ??

Attached you can see the pictures.

What do you make out of the headstock? (I have never seen it without the symbol underneath the label)
    What is a good price for it? (I offered him 2.8k€ and felt I got lucky with it)

I will drive to him in 8 hours and am torn apart whether this is a good deal or not. This would be the personification of my grandfathers (little) heritage.
    I'm looking for a player and the tone got the last word, but still I'm curious.

Please help me combined gibson knowledge!

Thanks in advance
    lum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Pass..

3. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

Not the best deal considering the travel time, but it is an SG with a wider nut - my 64 SG Junior has the same nut and is an absolute beast of a guitar. It stays in tune and the p90 is pretty quiet and sound amazing. Some vintage guitars are amazing and some are duds - try to ignore the awesome vintage appeal and judge it honestly. Try to plug it in to an amp - it might sound like a brick unplugged but scream through an amp. Good luck!

4. Steven

Steven Senior Member

I'd pass

5. depuis1899

depuis1899 Senior Member

This is probably too late because you either got it or didn't, but here's my grain of salt.

'Bad' shape...
    About the headstock ? Well, to me it looks like the repair was just one of the ****tiest ever done honestly. Covering it with black... nah, even if you see a small mark in the wood that she was broken at some point, who cares ? Covering it in black like this makes it worse imho, plus, the crack is still there. When this job had been done the guy probably repainted the whole headstock except for the logo. Look closely and you'll see that the logo has a squarish contour to it, like it had been covered before the job. I'm 99.9 % sure that if you remove the lacquer you'll find the crown underneath it. Fretboard looks really really dry, might need work as well. The finish turned 'weirdly' dark over the years, not like most cherries from back then, most probably not taken well care of.
    Neck joint looks legit for this era.
    Pickup shape is legit, but this does not mean much.
    Electronics look really good and original, same as on my 68.

My opinion on this: A 65 in great condition can go up to 5500. One in good condition 4500.
    This hear will need quite some work to get it back in good shape, count around 450$. So 2800 is okay... I'd have gone there with 2200 cash and offering 2000 first.

If you got it, please share some more pictures :)

6. BWOTW

BWOTW Senior Member

Where's the flower inlay? And what's with the cutoff on the logo? Something funny going on with this repair...

7. JCarno

JCarno Senior Member

It almost looks like something else is written behind the Gibson logo :confused:

8. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I could go with the holly overlay was replaced with the headstock repair, but there are definite issues. If it plays and sounds great OP should be happy...if everything else is legit.

I wouldn't pay $2800 much less 2.8k€ but that is just me. And I love SG's.