Price Check - 77 white LPC all original.

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Fordman65, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Oatie

Oatie Member

The grain in the Hog body is the weight of the guitar. Some one piece cuts have cross grain wood that is heavier. I doubtb its a pancake at late 77. Close up of the edge would tell you. 12 lbs. Is too heavy for me. It's an easy guitar to sell or trade. 9 lbs Les to a 12 lbs. Les is like holding an acoustic at the same time.

2. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

$2900 was more than fair....walk away....contrary to popular belief, there are many, many more out there.....yes white ones!

3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

"Beautiful Honduras mahogany" doesn't weigh 12 lbs. The problem Gibson and other companies was experiencing during this time was the increasing scarcity of beautiful, lighter-weight mahogany, and mahogany available in big-board sizes. They were moving to wood full of minerals, which looks fine but weighs a ton, and smaller trees that yield smaller boards and, hence, multi-piece construction. None of this is a disaster, but neither is it optimal, unless you are a member of the increasingly small club of anvil = sustain theorists. Most people now prefer guitars of moderate weight, and one or two-piece construction. Maybe one day the "you'll love this one! It's really, really heavy!!!" trend will resume. I wouldn't bank on it, myself, and I wouldn't spend $3K on a really heavy guitar.

Progrocker111 likes this.
  4. Fordman65

Fordman65 Senior Member

Meh, weight is irrelevant to me. I'm not a touring musician playing 4 nights a week, nor do I think weight is indicative of tone. I've heard both light and heavy guitars sound good and like crap. If it sits for awhile I'll revisit the seller and see if he's willing to make a deal.

RustyNuts likes this.
  5. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

Too heavy, most of such heavy Les Pauls are acoustically dead and very focused, cold and flat sounding. 10.5 lbs is max even for 70s era for me.

6. Fordman65

Fordman65 Senior Member

I ended up buying a new 58 historic for the price this guy is asking. Not that I care too much about this, but it comes in at a non-weight relieved 8.23lbs.

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  7. judson

judson Senior Member

somedays when you spend a few bucks more you wanted , a few years later you realize it didnt matter as you got what you wanted when you wanted it....

how long do you want to wait for the next one?

but i will admit i do enjoy the hunt and that makes it fun also so there is no wrong answer really....

8. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Congratulations, Fordman. I'd prefer the 58 Historic myself, and by far. Glad it worked out.

9. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Congratualtions!
    Two words:

Pho - tos!
    :D