Pretty Cool Post Here From Fractal About a Clinic Down Under.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Dec 2, 2017.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

mdubya likes this.
  2. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Frank that is my good mate Michael Dolce who I have referred to here as the pro player / user of the AxeFX system from the Australian Voice that I know.

He's also the guy that plays a Tube Amp when he gigs for fun............& goes between both systems.

Michael stays at my place often & was here again last Tuesday night, so he, my lovely Wife & I went out to Dinner & talked gear, family & all the usual stuff.

The other guy is Brett Kingman who is also a pro player & well known for all his pedal demos on YT. Brett uses the AxeFX when he's doing fly in fly outs but Tube Amps in his Studio. Brett is also a great guy.

I'm not sure where Michael sits on a global scale but from what I know I'd say he's one of the most competent Axe users on the planet.

When he's not using the AxeFXII, he uses the FX8 in to his Tube head & a 212 Cab or my Shiva Head & 212 Cab.

On Tuesday night I mentioned the XiTone & the Greenboy / Feerless..............as I mentioned to you the problem here is that we don't have any of these here, so we'd need to buy a few of them & test them out.

The right powered Cab would make Michael's life easier when it comes to non Voice style gigs. For the Voice he's always using custom made in ears.

When I get a system some time next year, he's going to be my patch buddy. :D

Cheers, Rudi

frankv and mdubya like this.
  3. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I just read the comment "both players use FRFR for everything".

Michael doesn't own an FRFR Cab apart from his Monitors at home.

He uses the in ears for all shows where the Axe is used. The 212 Cab he owns is a Laney with a Celestion 80 & V30.

The Bogner 212 Cab I ordered for him ages ago had a G12H30 & V30, which is the same as the one I had. His main Amps over the years have been a Bogner Shiva EL34, a Bogner Duende 30W Head (on permanent loan from me, which he used to record his Solo Album), a custom modded Marshall Head he used for the first Voice Show and his current Custom made 85W Twin.

He still has the Shiva & the Twin. He uses the FX8 in to the Tube Heads. We are now working on cloning a particular Shiva that I own but only the Clean side with the Boost function.

On Tuesday Michael said the best FRFR he used to date was the QSC but he preferred 10's as the 12's had a little too much bottom end for his ears & 10's were definitely the way to go for Acoustic Guitar. He's not a fan of the Atomics..........too toppy.

Just for insight, Michael can pretty much play any style of music............Jazz, Rock, Blues, Pop, Funk, Country, Fusion, you name it he can play it. Big call but IMHO he's probably Australia's version of Robben Ford. On the Voice he regularly has to learn 30 - 60 songs in only a few days.

Lastly, we have a light hearted bet on now. He say's I will not be able to tell the difference between the Axe & a Tube equivalent in a blind test (him & I in the room with me no peeking). I told him you're on, I'll take that bet. I know he's worried this will cost him an expensive bottle of Red............but we'll have loads of fun. :rofl:

Just wish I had his superlative chops.

:cheers2:

frankv likes this.
  4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Rudy... I knew he was your buddy and part of the reason I posted the thread here. You won't be able to tell the difference between the AXE and the tube. and if you can the AXE would only need a minor adjustment. :thumbs: These kinds of A B tests have been done many times already.

And if you do actually hear a difference, you might like the AXE better. I know I did.

RAG7890 likes this.
  5. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

..........just call me golden ears Frank. :p :D

We’ll have some fun & I will learn a few things no doubt.

We also have to put our heads together re the Cabs but I’ll elaborate when I send you that Email shortly.

Cheers, Rudi.

frankv likes this.
  6. frankv

The benefits of the Fractal AXE have been hashed out in this sub room and the main room for years now. When taken as a whole there really is no competition. Tubes were for a certain time in history and will soon pass it's touch. It has already but there are holdouts that won't budge for various reasons. But I don't think there is an argument anymore. Not from a versatility and breathe of options available from AXE and other high end units..

I know you remember the days of me getting my A$$ kicked by so many guys here when I switched from tubes to AXE.. They werent good times... now look what has happened. I no longer have to describe the awesome possibilities AXE presents and can just sit back and watch others do it.

RAG7890 likes this.