Preferred wrap-around LP Jnr bridge type?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Atmospherium, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Atmospherium

Atmospherium Junior Member

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of different types of wrap-around LP Jnr bridge?

There's the plain old wraparound, which gives maximum sustain and tone which is known to be a bit of a compromise on intonation.
    There's the Pigtail type with individual saddles - better for intonation but I'm told it kills sustain.

Then there's the one with the staggered "lightning bolt" which seems a good solution.

I'm more interested in which type works better in your experience, rather than specific brands, but if you can recommend a brand to go with your preferred type that'd be nice!

Cheers

2. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Plain old wraparound. I've never had any intonation problems with the ones I've had. Also looks the best, to me.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Atmospherium likes this.
  3. Atmospherium

Atmospherium Junior Member

Wow - those are nice!

4. Wailing

Wailing Senior Member

IMG_2420.JPG I'm mid pickup change on my 2016 Junior, I forget the brand of this wraparound but this one works really well, and to my eyes looks excellent

5. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I've had a number of them.....none have sustain issues including the Pigtail.

Who likes this.
  7. valvetoneman

valvetoneman Senior Member

If I was going junior style I'd use the original style

I've used rockinger, kluson and mojo axe all work very well with no problems

8. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Tailpiece affects "sustain"? I better tell my amp, because he thought he was the main differentiator in that arena.

What is this? 1975, where people think sustain is a feature of big blocks of metal? Should I get out my brass nut, to offset the loss of sustain from intonatable saddles? ;)

Sorry...in all seriousness, I didn't notice any difference going from I normal block to a lightning bolt bridge, in my Melody Maker.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    JMT Guitars likes this.
  9. cmjohnson

cmjohnson Senior Member

It may not be a conventional or typical choice for an LP but I think the PRS compensated wrap-around is a good piece of machinery. I have one on one of my guitars and the intonation is dead nuts perfect with .010s.

To me the ideal bridge has zero movable parts. It's securely bolted to the body and action height, string spacing, and intonation are all perfect and built right in to its machining.

smk506 and moreles like this.
  10. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I've used Mojoaxe's intonated wraptail on my JR (with 10's) and the intonation is excellent. My bias is to use more complicated, many-parts hardware only when necessary -- I like simple, when it comes to basic mechanics -- so I like my Mojoaxe bridge a lot. But now that several makers have really finely-made adjustable models, I wouldn't hesitate to go that route if my guitar needed it because I think you have to start with correct intonation in music.

11. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

I like the original style wraparound (not the lightning bolt). Philadelphia Luthier Supplies carries a great, US made one for cheap. I do plan to machine my own like the PRS style one at some point, but haven't done so yet.

12. Jura

Jura Senior Member

Pity there is so little choice of bridges compensated for a wound G.

13. BADMAN67

BADMAN67 Member

I've got a plain Faber on my junior. Don't really have any problem with intonation. Looks vintage cool too:)

14. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

[​IMG]
    I prefer this Badass-style bridge. Just feels best under my palm and allows proper intonation

15. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

16. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

Al, it looks, from this pic, like this bridge is compensated for a wound G, though it's hard to tell? Gorgeous guitar! Is that fingerboard ebony?

If I recall correctly, wasn't Badass the first and original maker of adjustable intonation slip on, stop bridges?

Just Curious?
    Gene

17. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Thats the Epi 57 Reissue and I believe it's rosewood. Ha that Epi finish on it.

18. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

No clue to be honest. Just the one that works best for me after trying out a few models.
    Got one in my Melody Maker V.