Precision Guitar Kits Questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Telzilla, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

Since this is the luthiers corner I would never want to persuade someone from building a guitar, but this is the risk you take when getting a custom made guitar built to spec. Not to mention that resale value is horrible on a non-Gibson Les Paul so if you were not happy with the Precision guitar you are going to have a lot of trouble selling it, and certainly lose money on it.

Again I don't want to scare you away from the fun of having a guitar made just for you, but the cost of having Precision do a custom neck profile, finish the guitar, etc. is getting awfully close to the cost of a used Gibson Les Paul, which would come with the added bonus of you being able to play them and find the perfect neck for you or be able to sell and try again if it doesn't work out. Just something to think about...

All that being said I don't have any experience with the newer Gibsons, but I've actually heard a lot of people really like the asymmetric neck, and if Phil has done them before its all cut from the same CNC machine so its not really much more difficult for them to pull off. If I have some free time tonight I can try to snap some pictures of the back profiles of my 90s Classic, the '59ish 335, and the Precision '60 to try to give you some visual comparison of the slim profile on the Precision.

dadude likes this.
  2. dadude

dadude Member

Thanks I would appreciate that. The thing is I think I am going to end up buying and selling guitars for years if I don't get the 'real deal' , like a Custom Shop Standard or something, or a high end Tokai, and I cant afford that now, I also would actually have to fly abroad to pick one. I am playing big but I think I will likely loose that money anyway in the long run. Some of the stuff I heard from the Precision Kits are real good. Like ....minus the pick noise. I can't imagine my Traditional sounding like this with Classic 57s...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  3. dadude

dadude Member

The luthiers here are pushing me to get a custom guitar made, and I wouldn't, not that they are bad in their job, but because something like a Les Paul build must be a specialty. And these PGK guys made, how many, 100s of LP-likes maybe? I think it should all be good as long as I am certain and have good understanding of what I want and can communicate that.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  4. Papa P

Papa P Junior Member

So in looking through here as part of my research I saw that there had been difficulties in the past in communication with Phil. I just want to say that I emailed him at 8:30 am from Colorado and he replied to me regarding my question on lead time by 9:45 my time. Pretty prompt; I presume they listened to the complaints and fixed the issue.

smk506 likes this.
  5. redking

redking Senior Member

Have you ordered anything from him yet or paid him any money? That's when the rubber hits the road with communication.

ddroz60lp and smk506 like this.
  6. Papa P

Papa P Junior Member

I did today. I’ll keep y’all posted.
    Good point for sure.

smk506 likes this.
  7. Ace1

Ace1 Junior Member

Hi,

I wanted to bump this thread. I'm looking to order one of their LP kits. I'm debating how much I should have them do, vs getting done locally by a luthier.

@Papa P How did your experience go?

8. Ace1

Ace1 Junior Member

Well, I ordered one of their "customizer" guitar kits on Jan 11th. Communication has been spotty, like others have mentioned.

I'll start a new thread when I receive the guitar, but I get the feeling it could take a while...

elephantrider likes this.