Precision Guitar Kits - LP Junior Double Cut in Factory Painted TV Yellow

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by pointyguitars, Jul 6, 2017.

1. vidguy

vidguy Junior Member

I'll take it with that offer...

2. pointyguitars

pointyguitars Junior Member

SOLD!

vidguy likes this.
  3. vidguy

vidguy Junior Member

I got the guitar "kit" and all is as advertised. Nice looking guitar that I will have playing in a week if I can scrape out the time. I have a Vintage Vibe Hum cancelling P-90 that Pete just sent me, and a Toneman wiring kit.. Will post when done. Thanks Joe.

pointyguitars and GitFiddle like this.
  4. pointyguitars

@vidguy Can't wait to see your results. Please post pix!

5. vidguy

vidguy Junior Member

I've had this done for about a month now. I've been playing it regularly.
    I first assembled it with:
    • Pickup: Vintage Vibe HumBucking P90 (which is fantastic BTW)
    • Nut: Graphtech Nut
    • Bridge: Wilkinson compensated / Adjustable that came with the kit.
    • Studs and bushing that were with the kit.
    • I first bought a Single Cut Pickguard without thinking. Then purchased the correct DC Pickguard.
    • A Chinese Jack that worked out really well.
    • Still need to put on the TR Cover I ebayed..
    I wired it up. The nut sat just about right and only a little tweak of the Truss Rod was needed for my liking.

I was getting the Sitar Effect on the B string and some on the G string.

I tried to figure out the issue. Changed Strings, checked Relief, adjusted the bridge and looked at the break angle/point.
    It sounded like it was originating at the Bridge though. I tried to isolate it and that is what I thought.

I then purchased a
    - Faber #3320 Tone-Bar™ Compensated Wrap Tailpiece/Bridge Gloss Nickel - Brass tone bars.
    I also bought the Faber #3000 Tone-Lock™ (INCH) Gloss Nickel Studs since the guitar already had bushings in it I have used these on my other Jr and liked them.
    I hoped the Bridge would solve the Sitar issue.

When the parts came I found the Faber Tone Lock studs didnt have the same threads as the existing bushings.
    I ended up using the studs that came with the kit and added the thinnest Tone Lock spacer to make the stud fit tightly against the body/bushing.
    As it worked out I needed to lower the studs all the way down to the thinnest Faber spacer to get the action right. It worked out well. Tight and low.

Guitar still had the sitar effect...

In the end I found that the issue was the nut.

I could eliminate the sound by pushing into the slot on the string with my fingernail.
    I have some of those rod nut slot saws... and looked really closely but I could not see where the string was hanging up in the slot. I took the slot saws and sanded to add angle down towards the headstock and widen the slot a tad on both the B and G.

Problem solved..

Guitar plays and sounds great. It is sensitive to tuning, with 11's on it I still need to use a tuner and can't get it exactly right by ear, partly due to short scale maybe, rather tall frets?.. But once it is right it stays in tune pretty well. Tuners are quite nice. The neck and frets are clean.
    One thing I did notice is that these must be SS Frets as it wears strings out within hours.. The Wound D starts to shred.

I'll record it running through my Supro Reissue with a DLS pedal... Man it sounds really good. The VV P-90 is the cats meow.. I have one of his Non Hum canceling P-90'sin my other Jr and it is great, but this one is really more like the PAF sound with a tad less honk and more wood. I can't say enough about Pete's Pickups.

I didnt clean the guitar or lay it on some velvet.. I just got done playing it and remembered that I wanted to post pics...I play with my fingernail and fingers and the dust you see is likely nail dust on the Pickguard...

I LOVE the color and the shape and the sound. Always wanted a TV Double Cut.. So Happy.
    It is super LIGHT... Compared to my Epi 57 Reissue Jr which is quite heavy (and a great guitar too)
    Thanks for the deal. It was fun.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Who likes this.
  6. pointyguitars

@vidguy Thanks for posting these! You were able to bring to life what I had hoped to achieve but never found time to do. I'm really glad you're happy with the deal. Love how it turned out. Rock on!

vidguy likes this.