Pre-Amp buying questionaire

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by acstorfer, Jul 14, 2010.

1. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

Ok, 30year player, mostly metal/hard rock but am coming around in my age.
    Self taught non technical player. Been around too many errogant jerks that stopped having fun playing a long time ago (why I dont golf).
    Currently have a Peavey Bandit 65 (that is electronically starting to fall apart) and a Marshall MG30. Guitars are 08' Epi LesPaul Standard (stock) and a 84' Ibanez Destroyer (stock).
    I definately want to go tube (never had one) but not sure if I want to build or buy. Looking at: Fender Blues Junior, Vox AC15, Vox Night Train, Traynor (?). There is some sweet kits out there. I have never built one but am very handy... The issue is am I better off with a $500.00 amp or a $300.00 kit?
    The kit (looking at STF's Supercharged Champ kit) would most likely be a head and build a cabinet or pick one up on Craigslist. The purchased amp would be a combo. I do not gig but like to really piss off the neighbors if the occasion calls for the need...
    My gut has me between the VOX AC15 and the Supercharged Champ head kit. I am not a tone geek but tire of the solid state disposables... Make sense?

2. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Hi Chupe

You'll get a better response if you copy the info you entered and start a new thread.

3. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

Thanks... Done!

4. Dogslow

Dogslow Junior Member

Help this is my first post,I have a 2006 Gibson Les Paul Std which I love. I am playing thru a Line 6 Flextone 111 combo ,don't knock it I love it.I have been offered a marshall 250 dfx combo at a very keen price are they a good amp
    I have previously had a Marshall 8240 combo so do not mind solid state but any thoughts on the 250 dfx combo would be apreciated thank you.
    I have tried to find a good demo of one on youtube ,I play bluesy rock.Not a thousand notes a second

5. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Hi Dogslaw and welcome. May I recomend you start a new thread?

6. skipper58

skipper58 Senior Member

so what is the purpose of this thread but to tell people you don,t care to see the same questions asked over and over. tell them to do a search on this forum and they will probably find what they are seeking.

7. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

Skipper

The purpose is to list the questions that should be answered by the amp seeker (in a new, separate thread, please) so that people who want to give advice have something to start with.

Otherwise "I'm looking for a new amp" threads become places for people to brag about what they have or talk about what they like, with no regard for what might work for the seeker. They sometimes kinda still turn out like that anyway.

8. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Yeah, I made up this questionnaire with the best of intentions, unfortunately it still kinda seems like people don't care about what the OP needs as much as pushing whatever they have. Makes sense really, hopefully we all bought our gear because we love it. It also works the other way. People's automatic reaction is to tell the op to try them all and find the perfect amp themselves. Truth is, that is usually great advise. However, many people do have to rely on opinions. Whether they don't live near a well stocked music store, or they are interested in boutique amps. Generally with the boutique amps, you have to rely on opinions, it's rare that a store has them to try out. There are some, but it's rare. Shame is, if boutique amps were easy to try out, the big boys would have to reevaluate how they do things. Of course, I AM BIAS!

Probably, the best thing to do is spend some time in the squawk box. Pay attention to what people have to say. See who seems truly knowledgeable and experienced and pm them directly. There are many members here who are very experienced with amplifiers and you will quickly see for yourself who's opinion you should trust. Sadly, I am NOT very experienced with so much gear out there, so why waste your time with what I have to say? Well, truth is I rarely recomend amps. But anyway, you would see that quickly and you wouldn't waste your time.

If you're looking for new gear, enjoy the search!

JeffBlue and SelLuap like this.
  9. PaddyZak

PaddyZak Senior Member

How much would you like to spend? Below £700

What's the absolutely most you will spend? £1000

How many years have you played guitar? 7

Do you seek tone quality or versatility? A mix. I mainly want a nice clean tone (that stays clean at high volumes) but I 'd quite like a drive tone available too (though I could always get that through pedals)

What is your primary guitar (include pup type and configuration)? Epi LP Black Beauty III (standard set-up and pups)

What style(s) of music do you primarily play? Alternative Rock (Radiohead)

What one guitarist do you wish to emulate? Jonny Greenwood/Thom Yorke (They're kinda a package deal, haha)

Do you prefer to plug straight in, or will you be using effects? I would like to start buying effects pedals (have none yet)
    * If you use effects, you may prefer an effects loop (What's an effects loop?)

What will be the primary use of the amp?
    bedroom/living room
    jam with friends (guitars, bass, drums, etc.)
    gigs (small venues)
    gigs (large venues, is mic'ing available?)
    ALL THESE (universal purchase to last a long time) (Im 16)

Do you prefer a combo or head/cabinet (and why)? No preferance though I hear head/cabinets are more versatile, however Im not gunna hear a difference in slightly different cabinets

What amplifier(s) do you have/had and why do you want a change? a crappy 10w SS amp.. I want an amp that I'll actually use.

Please list five amps (minimum) that you have researched (if you can't do this, you're not serious)

Fender HR Deluxe III - Super nice clean tones (and reverb)
    Drive channel not so great(?)

Vox AC30 - Used by Jonny G/Thom Yorke. Heavily recommended Universally. Celestion speaker.
    haven't tried this one out.

Orange Tiny Terror - Budget Increased - No longer want.

All Marshall heads - Great drive.
    Loose clean tones at high volumes.

JakeM likes this.
  10. napsak

napsak Banned

Well put and straight to the point Adam. Maybe it will help some poor soul.

acstorfer likes this.
  11. 00agent007jb

00agent007jb Junior Member

How much would you like to spend? $400

What's the absolutely most you will spend? $550

How many years have you played guitar? 3

Do you seek tone quality or versatility? Both. I want to be able to play all types of rock.

What is your primary guitar (include pup type and configuration)? Gibson les paul studio faded cherry. All stock.

What style(s) of music do you primarily play? Punk rock and hard rock.

What one guitarist do you wish to emulate? Slash:slash:
    Do you prefer to plug straight in, or will you be using effects?
    Plug straight in.

gigs (small venues)

Do you prefer a combo or head/cabinet (and why)? Combo because it's easier to carry around.

What amplifier(s) do you have/had and why do you want a change? Line 6 spider 2 15 watt. I want a better one that sounds nicer and is louder.

Please list five amps (minimum) that you have researched (if you can't do this, you're not serious)

1.Fender hot rod deluxe:good-tube amp, not too big, sounds cool. bad-not enough distortion,
    2.Vox ac15vr:good-sorta sounds like a tube amp. bad-way too soft, can't do many styles of music.
    3.Fender frontman. good- loud. bad- solid state.
    4.Vox valvetronix vt 50. good- can do many styles of music. bad- i dunno
    5.Marshall mg series. good- the name. bad- solid state, kinda big, not good sound for many types of music, mainly for metal, doesn't sound that good.

12. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

Classic 30 and a TS9DX pedal. Cost low enough, versatile, durable, portable. Find a used one with a speaker upgrade and you're extra golden.

If you gotta go new, Jet City Amplification JCA2112RC 20 Watt. A bit less versatile, more modern high-gain. I play with a guy who has the head. The clean is nice, but it doesn't stay clean at full-band volume. At least not our band - I'll admit we're loud

Edit: this really should have it's own thread.

13. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

How much would you like to spend? under $500

What's the absolutely most you will spend? $500

How many years have you played guitar? 35+ (I really hate to admit this - especially when a 12yr old does a smokin' solo... but I have taken breaks for various career move outside of music)

Do you seek tone quality or versatility? More tone quality

What is your primary guitar (include pup type and configuration)? Epi LP Standard - stock, 77' Strat SD Antiquities, Tele P-Caster SD SC Pups (depends on what I'm playing)

What style(s) of music do you primarily play? Classic Rock and Blues oriented music

What one guitarist do you wish to emulate? Warren Haynes

Do you prefer to plug straight in, or will you be using effects? Plug straight in.

What will be the primary use of the amp? Practice and and small gigs

Do you prefer a combo or head/cabinet (and why)? I'm open on that

What amplifier(s) do you have/had and why do you want a change? Amps I've owned: 70's Traynor YGM3, 69' Fender Bandmaster (generic 2x12 cab), 70's Fender Super Twin, Sunn 112, Peavey Delta Blues - current amps Vox AD50VT 2x12, Vox AD30VT, Vox AC4tvH (with Egnator Rebel 12" cab), Fender Frontman 25r. I'm getting back into playing again and would like to have a nice amp for small gigs - the VT50 has enough power but although these amps are really versatile - they don't do any one thing great. I get a better tone from the AC4TVH.

1. Fender hot rod deluxe
    2. Fender Deluxe :cool: (probably best bang for the buck)
    3. Fender Blues Jr.
    4. Egnator Rebel 30 (second favorite because of the cool features and I already have the speaker cab)
    5. Vox AC30

14. jordway

jordway Junior Member

How much would you like to spend?
    3-400
    What's the absolutely most you will spend?
    How many years have you played guitar?
    going on 4
    Do you seek tone quality or versatility?
    tone quality
    What is your primary guitar (include pup type and configuration)?
    les paul traditional plus i think its gibson 57 classic and 57 classic plus on the bridge both humbuckers
    What style(s) of music do you primarily play?
    metal and rock
    What one guitarist do you wish to emulate?
    i guess slash but that wouldnt sound nearly the same
    * If you plug straight in, you will likely require 2 or more channels
    * If you use effects, you may prefer an effects loop
    plug straight in
    bedroom/living room
    jam with friends (guitars only)
    gigs (small venues)
    jam with friends
    Do you prefer a combo or head/cabinet (and why)?
    combo head/cabinet is too big and expensive
    What amplifier(s) do you have/had and why do you want a change?
    i have this tiny crate amp and its a piece of shit
    I cant name them all off the top of my head i looked at some fender and vox stuff and it was more of a clean sound i looked at a dsl401 i might get that but something cheaper would be best i was looking at the mg100fx but it had some bad reviews but idk if they were just holding it to too high a standard... idk

What did you like about them?
    What did you not like about them?

15. Bigneil

Bigneil Senior Member

I know that the regular guru's around here are probably fed up with "what amp should i get ?" questions. But you have to understand, that if you live in a city in America you can walk into any number of guitar stores and try out just about any amp you fancy hearing. But, in many of the posters cases, they do not have that option, and only have google and youtube at their disposal, but asking the opinions of several experienced guitar players is a very useful tool in cutting down your short list.

In my case, I live in the highlands of Scotland, my local guitar store only stocks a small handful of brands, If I want to try out a Vox I have to travel 40 miles, If I want to try out an egnater or a jet city, i have to travel 100 miles, if i want to try out Hiwatt or laney ...who knows? and lesser known brands are likely to be available to buy online.

So far thanks to comments on here and on other forums I have a clearer idea of what I want and am currently sifting through reams of reviews and specifications so that I can cam make a short list of the models I would like to try out.

16. shiplett77

shiplett77 Senior Member

How much would you like to spend? $500-$700

What's the absolutely most you will spend? $800

How many years have you played guitar? 25

Do you seek tone quality or versatility? Both. . but I guess Tone is the key here.

What is your primary guitar (include pup type and configuration)? Have multiple that I currently use, however I lean most on my 60’s Tribute w/ p-90s, bridge position most.

What style(s) of music do you primarily play? Rock (think Led Zep)

What one guitarist do you wish to emulate? Jimmy Page

Do you prefer to plug straight in, or will you be using effects? I will be using effects.

What will be the primary use of the amp? What is a small vs. large venue? Either way, I am mic’ed for gigs, however I am not mic’ed for rehearsal.
    bedroom/living room
    jam with friends (guitars only)
    gigs (small venues)

Do you prefer a combo or head/cabinet (and why)? I currently play through a 15w head with a 2x12. I like that set up but it is not set in stone. However I do not like a 4x12, just too big.

What amplifier(s) do you have/had and why do you want a change? Egnater Tweaker 15w head, and Bugera V5. Looking for something different. The bugera is nice for the bedroom practice, and I currently use the tweaker as my rehearsal and gig amp (yes it is plenty loud. . .with lots of headroom still).

Egnater Tweaker 15, like--flexibility (effects loop, multiple ohm outputs)\
    Dislike-too many amp settings. . . find myself constantly changing this between gigs.

Bugera V5, Like—built in attenuater, speaker out.
    Dislike—Sound quality is not the best, very limited in musical range. Only good for home recording.

Marshall Haze 40w Combo
    Dislikes: Sounds like a marshall

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier:
    Dislikes: Price

Orange Tiny Terror 15
    Likes: Great Distorition channel, tone, & seemed loud for 15 watts.
    Dislikes: Limited flexibility. . a one trick pony. No effects loop

Peavy Valve King 100
    Dislikes: Sterile, lifeless & Loud as Balls.

Vox Night Train 50
    Likes: Very good tone, Effects Loop, & Multiple Ohm Channels.
    Dislikes: Upper Tier of my price range, single channel.

Thanks in advance :)

17. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

+1 What ^ he said! :D

18. AndyOC

AndyOC Junior Member

Would it be easyer/neater to start a new thread with the answered questionare to get reccomendations for my amp ? or should I post it onto this thread?

19. warpedsoul

warpedsoul Senior Member

How much would you like to spend? 300

What's the absolutely most you will spend? 450

How many years have you played guitar? Roughly 12 months combined

Do you seek tone quality or versatility? More so versitility with the right tone

What is your primary guitar (include pup type and configuration)? Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top with Rio Grande Texas BBQ humbuckers

What style(s) of music do you primarily play? Hard Rock / some Metal

What one guitarist do you wish to emulate? Tony Rombola from Godsmack

What will be the primary use of the amp? Mainly bedroom/living room with small possibility of small gigs

Do you prefer a combo or head/cabinet (and why)? Combo as it has more versitility and most units have PC software

What amplifier(s) do you have/had and why do you want a change? I have Fender G-DEC 15w and Epiphone 15w. These amps are not giving me the sound I want. They don't sound good with distortion.

Fender Mustang III:
    Like: Versitility, FUSE software, customizable
    Dislike: Fizz issue, most say not good for high-gain

How much would you like to spend? 300

What's the absolutely most you will spend? 450

How many years have you played guitar? Roughly 12 months combined

Do you seek tone quality or versatility? More so versitility with the right tone

What is your primary guitar (include pup type and configuration)? Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top with Rio Grande Texas BBQ humbuckers

What style(s) of music do you primarily play? Hard Rock / some Metal

What one guitarist do you wish to emulate? Tony Rombola from Godsmack

What will be the primary use of the amp? Mainly bedroom/living room with small possibility of small gigs

Do you prefer a combo or head/cabinet (and why)? Combo as it has more versitility and most units have PC software

What amplifier(s) do you have/had and why do you want a change? I have Fender G-DEC 15w and Epiphone 15w. These amps are not giving me the sound I want. They don't sound good with distortion.

Fender Mustang III:
    Like: Versitility, FUSE software, customizable
    Dislike: Fizz issue, most say not good for high-gain

Fender Frontman 212R
    Like: Clean and Distorted channels. Would work well with pedal
    Dislike: No USB or PC combatibility, and must rely on Pedal to get the sound I want

Peavey Bandit 112
    Like: TransTube Technology, a lot of on-amp options, good for Hard Rock / Metal
    Dislike: No presets, no PC interface or software

Peavey Vypyr 75:
    Like: Good for high-gain, customizable, has PC software
    Dislike: Some say not good for clean, must buy Santra II pedal to get all presets

Vox VT+
    Not much known about this, but a lot of people mention it

Line 6 Spider
    Like: Customizable
    Dislike: A lot of people say they don't like the sound, and its not very good

Orange:
    Like: Good reviews and well known
    Dislike: Not really a modeling amp

20. AndyOC

AndyOC Junior Member

I have a fender frontman 212r for sale in merseyside if choose to go for that one