powered PA monitors for FRFR?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rhust, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Just as cybermgk says, and to add...

Wasn't talking so much about front of house PA, but about monitors, which are often not very flat response, and very rarely very full range. Front of house gear is generally good, although some tends not to have much in the mid range - evidently it sounds good for some dance music, which seldom sounds good to me anyway. And for some guitar sounds you really do need bass bins even for moderate sized rooms.

PA speakers were probably less of a problem when mic'ing a tube amp because it pales into insignificance compared to a) mic'ing the cab well, and b) having a sound guy that can EQ a guitar sound so it doesn't sound like arse out front. I'm getting fussier, and have to say it's getting better, a little better all the time. I used to do anything to avoid having microphones in front of my amps - much happier with the Axe FX - I even let the sound guy have output 1 and I get output 2 for stage!

Liam

mdubya, cybermgk and frankv like this.
  2. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I agree. If PAs aren't intended to have instruments other than vocals pumped through them, why do they do it? And why would microphones (the way its always been) be inherently better than a good direct setup?

I'm missing something here, too.

3. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Not all PAs are the same as one another, or made for the same purpose as one another. Some PAs are very good at amplifying instruments, others less so. Small wedge monitors are seldom very good for instrument tone, but they are built to a price and intended to allow singers to hear themselves.

PAs that are good at amplifying instruments are very good reproducing direct and microphone captured guitar amp sounds. They can be really good, but are often limited by the ability of the people operating them. Direct is not inherently better than microphone capture, but it is a hell of a lot easier to set up so it sounds good in my experience.

Decent microphone capture of a guitar speaker (or a drum kit) is an absolute black art. Most who are good at it have done years of trial and error both in studios and on stage.

Liam

4. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

he decided to go with a "PA" speaker. he bought one just like what they have at his regular gig, so he can tweak it just how it will be to the audience. I think that was his goal... the $$ savings was just a bonus. I guess that's a good reason if you know what they are using... I think it's a QSC, but not sure on the model.

tzd and hbucker like this.
  5. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

QSC kit is excellent in my experience. Not the cheapest, but if it's one of the K series they are really good, and have just the right frequency response for guitar.