Power Amp into Traditional Cab

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by hbucker, Jul 6, 2017.

1. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

For those using a power amp to run their modeler into a traditional guitar cab, what power amp are you using?

2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I'm not doing that, but I have tried it with my Matrix gt1000fx. Works fine. I have heard the Rocktron works well. The latter is more powered at what a Guitar CAB can use.

3. carydad

carydad Senior Member

Many over the years. Pretty wide range-depends what you are looking for. On one end you've got the Matrix type thing that get high praise. On the other end, I've gigged a little magnum44. Something like a quilter or that new Duncan pedal might be cool. The other guitar player in band2 has the 200W quilter. Yes, he blew up a speaker. Sounds killer. I use an old school Crate power block because I am cheap and it sounds good. Not much luck with generic PA power amps. I had a hartke bass amp that I used for power, it was okay. Prefer the power block to that though.

4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

My guitar teacher use to use a Quilter power amp... I was so impressed at the time I almost got one.

5. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

If you use a guitar cab, you will lose the option of IR's, which is one of the coolest tone shapers most modelers have to offer. You could try running IR's with a guitar cab, but my limited experience in doing that was it didn't sound that good.

frankv likes this.
  6. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Understood. This is an option though. Curious to hear responses to the question.

Thx!

7. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I used a Rocktron Velocity 100 with my GSP1101, but sold them both off after I picked up my AxeFX. I only play that direct into my audio interface.

8. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

I used a Matrix GT1000FX into a mid 70s Marshall 4 x 12 (G12M30), 1980 Marshall 4 x 12 (G12-65), and Matamp 4 x 12 (Celestion Hot 100) last year. Worked really well, didn't try to drive anything too hard as there was surplus power available. Turning cab modelling off didn't yield particularly great results for some amp models, so I ended up using cab IRs even though it was technically "incorrect". Solid amp, loads of power, drives my current FRFR setup too.

Liam

9. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

I am awaiting a Duncan PowerStage 170. I tried it out at NAMM and it sounded amazing.

10. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

FWIW: I just purchased a used, ss power amp to drive my 212 cab. Certainly, not all models sound good through this cab. (I don't like all of the models anyway, regardless of IR, FRFR, Headphones, Monitors, or Cab.) But several sound really nice.

With the removal of the IR from a given patch, plus a little tweaking here and there - sometimes no tweaking needed - it gives that "amp is actually in the room with me" feel that I strive for even when I'm using IR's and full range speakers.

As stated earlier, it's just one more option for sound production with my AX8. This experiment was successful.

Liam likes this.
  11. TP6

TP6 Senior Member

My setup isnt super serious but I had an extra cabinet I wanted to drive and I was curious as to how the Atomic would sound in a traditional setup so I ended up getting the EHX .44 Magnum for something cheap to mess with.

Sure I dont get to run IRs into it (I have them auto disabled on the 1/4" outs anyway) but it still sounds pretty good and convincing enough for me. I have a whole bank I tweaked specifically for power amp and cab use and they sound great. Its been a while since I messed with them cause Ive been on a bit of a playing break but I was getting pretty usable clean, rock and metal tones easy enough. It might not sound exactly like it would with an IR but its still usable and super convinient if I want to jam with buddies and have a simple setup to use.

Also I agree with the above poster with the 'amp in the room' sound and vibe. Great for that too.

hbucker likes this.