potted or unpotted for a 335

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by db3266, Jan 17, 2013.

1. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

Is this decision more sensitive for semi-hollow body guitar?
    Is the best bet to go potted to avoid any feedback issues?

2. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

I like the upotted Duncan Antiquities in mine and like what unpotted PU's add in general (have them in LPs as well). On the 335, they seem to emphasize more of the 'woodiness' of the guitar as opposed to the more focused sounds of something like '57 Classics. But I also don't play with a lot of gain through high power amps any more, so that could be an issue with feedback.

What I do for a measure of safety is make sure the cover is down nice an snugly, with a layer of double-stick scotch tape between the slug bobbin and inside. Not as much of a hollow click as you tap the cover once you solder it back on nice and tight. That always helps to take away a little grating from the pick attack, and I can see it maybe helping a little for feedback since you don't have as much of a metallic 'drum head' right over an already more microphonic pickup.

So I would say a lot depends on your playing setup. I play in live blues/rock situations both small and medium-large...never with massive gain (mostly overdrive when needed). Whenever there's feedback, it's been controllable, but that takes work as well in terms of your hand technique and muting, etc. You can really use feedback as a useful tool if you get it down.

1 person likes this.
  3. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar Premium Member MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

Depends who makes the pickups. Some un potted pickups have squeal problems, some makers have zero problems with squeal. IMO, a semi hollow or hollow can be tougher to tame.

2 people like this.
  4. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

Potted. Hollow bodies are notorious.

5. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I have both my 335s loaded with unpotted p'ups (ECP RD-59s and Antiquity HBs) and no problems with squealing whatsoever.

The point is: with unpotted p'ups, if they squeal, you're using too much gain.

As simple as that.

5 people like this.
  6. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

My pickups of choice at the minute are going to be either the ECP RD59 low winds or Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday's. Both winders are top notch, so I guess the squeal issues will be less so with top shelf pickup winders.

7. Bigneil

Bigneil Senior Member

I have heard of people packing foam or sponge into the pickup cavity. Presumably it helps to reduce feedback.

8. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I've seen my Creme Brulees (second hottest set I wind) played in a 335 through a Twin at FULL TILT and with a treble booster indoors in an open room with hardwood floors. Only musical sustaining feedback. No coil or magnet squeal.

It's all in the wind and assembly.

2 people like this.
  9. Quill

Quill Senior Member

NOT just the assembly. The hands of the player have a little something to do with it.

Yeah! fuk yeah! You find that point where the guitar just starts to vibrate, get the gain and the volume just so, and ride that edge between clean and scream - it's the reason we play these guitars.

As a kid, I had my 335 with a pretty hot, unpotted humbucker in the bridge, a fantastic 50w or 60w Hiwatt head (forget now) and a borrowed cab with two 15" speakers in it. And I just played around with the gain until it started to do what I wanted. Experienced players would come up to me and demand to know what kind of overdrive pedals I was using ... they'd get so pissed off when I said, my hands and the volume knob on the guitar.

The unpotted pickup was absolutely key to the sound. Well - to my sound. It should at least be tried. Once the wax is in there, you can't take it out ...

And yes, it's totally true - the pickup's gotta be good.

10. ezra1

ezra1 Senior Member

I like that story Quill !

11. cooljuk

Here's some LOUD unpotted goodness.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBfLE8wWTaI]ReWind Electric - Crème Brûlée Set - Lex SG through a Twin - YouTube[/ame]

2 people like this.
  12. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

Was that a dimed Twin Reverb or Tweed Twin? Sounded pretty badass.

13. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

here is 330 which have unpotted single coil pickups, can be notorious with feedbacks, cured with some foam beneath soundholes.
    with 335 and unpotted paf style should be more than ok

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClHMjnhW9Gc[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  14. cooljuk

Twin clone. Thank you. If my memory serves me right, that's forum brother Lex, playing either an LP or SG with Creme Brûlées.

15. cooljuk

Are those your winds? They sound like it. A4s?

16. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

So a 5E8 (that 2x12 cab in the video)? Pretty gnarly-sounding.

17. cooljuk

I think so. I'll check back on my old PMs tomorrow if I have time. Could always ask Lex, too. He and I talked about that gear a bit because I really loved it.

Of course, there's a treble booster in there and the Creme Brûlées add a good bit of compression and midrange harmonics.

18. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

yeah sound might be common, but no, those are original P-90's in the original guitar.

19. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

I agree with this, but i always wondered how the hell did Gary Moore managed to have so much gain and power out of those vintage unspotted PAFs.

Any ideas?

20. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

What is a spotted PAF?

2 people like this.