Pots : 250k / 500k / 1 Meg ????

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by FLICKOFLASH, Oct 31, 2007.

1. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

250K / 500K / 1 MEG ???? how do each effect the sound ? Full on is full on right? Is it the amount of sweep that is different? Is one better than the other for volume or tone controls ?

79standard and Badcard like this.
  2. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Using 500k pots with humbuckers as the standard, a 1 meg will have a brighter sound with more output, a 250k will be darker with less output. Some guys mix and match different ohmages like a 1 meg volume with a 250k tone, but IMO if it ain't broken, why fix it?

3. PoorMan

PoorMan Senior Member

Lexluthier pretty much covered it. The lower the value pot, the lower the resonant peak. This is a nice fine-tuning tool for overly bright or dark guitars. I have a R7 that was excessively bright so I installed a 250k volume pot to shave off some of the high end. Worked like a charm.

79standard likes this.
  4. FLICKOFLASH

On TGP someone said :Gene Baker and Dimarzio recommend a 250K volume and 1 Meg tone with a .022 cap between as the best compromise.

Gene came across it while at Fender, it was some trade secret there, and he uses it in ALL his guitars.

5. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

There are ranges and options inbetween, 550 K, Pots, 300 K pots, 300 not as cutting as a 250, 550 for a lil more range, just some thoughts to add, and options to possibly consider

6. PoorMan

PoorMan Senior Member

Interesting. I wouldn't use it in the neck though--too dark. But one shouldn't be so resolute as to use the same setup in "all" ones guitars either. If a guitar is really dark, this setup would only make things worse.

I use different values depending on the guitar. I also measure my pots to position them optimally to the specific guitar (regardless of the advertised value). But (IMO) a 250k volume and 1meg tone sounds like a good setup for a bridge position 'bucker in most guitars.

7. PoorMan

PoorMan Senior Member

All the 300ks I find are linear taper. Has anyone come accross an audio taper 300k?

8. lp59aholicDon

RS Guitarworks, in their Treble Tamer Kits
    RS Guitarworks Online Store

9. PoorMan

PoorMan Senior Member

10. lp59aholicDon

Contact RS, They might sell them that way, You asked and I found you an answer, I sometimes help my kids with their homework, I darn sure dont do it for em' :slash::slash:

rychus and Tonemeister like this.
  11. PoorMan

PoorMan Senior Member

What. Did you miss your nap today or something?

12. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

500K for all my passive, 25K for my EMG's

13. FLICKOFLASH

I got 250K volume control and a 1 Megohm tone control, (vintage) & wondering what you think / dimarzio & Gene Baker recommends this too. would I need a hotter pickup ?

Regardless of what type of pickups are in your guitar, higher potentiometer resistance values produce a little more power and treble response. Whether this is a good or a bad thing is a matter of individual taste. In the early days, Gibson used 500K controls and Fender used 250K, thereby starting the single-coil = 250K, humbucker = 500K theory. Even though neither company has stuck strictly with this formula since then, the theory lives on. You wonÂ’t damage your pickups or your amp by mixing and matching different value controls, and one of our current favorites is a 250K volume control and a 1 Megohm tone control, EP1202.( DiMarzio)

14. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

hmmm.... here's an idea. Bypass all V & T controls and go straight from the pickup selector to the jack.

:applause:

15. lexluthier

Years ago I experimented with 1 meg pots, sure the output was boosted, but the treble was too. For metal playing where you wanted the guitar to scream, it wasn't such a bad thing. The thing I hated was the pot taper of the 1 meg audios I was using.

A proponent of 250k volume and tone pots with humbuckers is Allan Holdsworth. He uses PAF-output (with screw poles on both bobbins) pickups with 250k pots, gives him some of that rich, warm tone he is known for.

16. lexluthier

Marty Friedman used to do that with his Jackson Kellys. He wired them straight to the Jack. Jackson refused to do that with his siggy guitars and put a volume knob on them.

17. lp59aholicDon

Hmm Dirty Fingers Pickups ??

18. lexluthier

Similar in design, but with alnico magnets and wound to low output PAF type specs. Dirty Fingers had ceramic magnets and mega hot winds.
    Allans pickups are Duncan 59's ordered with dual screw poles. Also Scott Henderson, back when he played humbuckers, used the same pickups.

I think the dual screw pole idea is kind of cool, it changes the sound of the pickup because they sound different than slug poles.

Check out the difference in sound between a Duncan JB and the old Duncan Holdsworth (which Allan never used, BTW). Exactly the same pickup, except that the Holdsworth had both bobbins with screw poles. The Holdsworth has a smoother high end and less of that upper mid hump the JB has.

19. FLICKOFLASH

lex I got a vintage harness off ebay 250 K volumes 1 Meg tones & I have dead on vintage bumble bees ... should i convert the pots or try a extra hot pickups ? Would like your thoughts . I am looking for a fat thick tone not a strat on a LP tone :eek2:

20. lp59aholicDon

Thanks for the added education Lex, Hmm I have a question similar to Flicks
    ok I have 496R/ 500T set in my fav Les, generally I like the sound of the front but want to darken up the rear, a bit, make it creamier thicker , just trim off a lil of the high end, my tone setting on that pickup when using it exclusivly is normally 5-7 on the tone, its rarely dimed out ever My present caps are the factory orange drop type .o22UF