POT sizes

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by mwee, Nov 30, 2011.

1. mwee

mwee Junior Member

yo.. i'm buyin pots for my new guitar online.

it's an epiphone les paul standard plus top. so the question is...

what size pots do i need? the long shaft ones or the short?
    can those cts pots fit? no drilling?

just want to confirm the size of pots i need b4 buyin them.

Axesrus - Guitar Potentiometers, Tone, Volume Knobs, Pots and more

2. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Thread Killer Premium Member

Long shaft pots are what you'll need. You don't have to "drill"...a hand-held reamer will do the trick, yo.

3. AnthemBassMan

AnthemBassMan Senior Member

-Hmm, I have short shaft CTS pots in mine. Best rule of thumb for you I guess is to check the ones that are in it right now. Mine came stock from Epi with short shaft pots. Maybe they changed things after mine....

L8R,
    Matt

4. SJM

SJM Premium V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

My Epi's have short shaft pots. My Gibson has long. I'd buy either short shaft pots or some extra washers. :)

blues_n_cues likes this.
  5. onlypadog

onlypadog Senior Member

I buy my parts from axesrus, and when I did my Epi mods I used short shaft. They are called CTS Medium Shaft on axesrus for some reason which I don't yet know

6. BoatGuy1970

BoatGuy1970 Premium Member

Every Epi I've seen takes short shaft. Also, I highly recommend audio taper over linear taper, especially for volume pots.

You'll need to open up the holes for the pots just ever so slightly. I use 60 and 220 grit sandpaper. Cut a 4x4 inch piece of both grits and roll them up. Put them in the holes and gently work the sandpaper up and down while slowly rotating the sandpaper in the hole. Start with the 60, and constantly check to see if the pot fits. You don't want to make the holes too big. When the pot just barely doesn't fit in the hole, finish it off with the 220. You'll get a great result, and the pots will just slide in with almost no play in the hole. Also, you won't have to worry about hurting the finish.

The hole directly above the tailpiece has already been finished. You’ll see it looks clean compared to the other holes.

[​IMG]

7. mwee

mwee Junior Member

woah.. very niceeee... Thx for the replies...

8. p700

p700 Senior Member

9. martin6string

martin6string Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Nope. Short shaft.

10. KP

KP Senior Member

Short and you do need to open the holes to accommodate CTS pots. I know this because I have done it.

11. p700

p700 Senior Member

Ugh, I just bought a 2002 MIK Epi LP Custom that I thought would be a little bit of a pain in the ass, turns out it's gonna be a nightmare. I thought I got a smokin deal on it so that I could toss a Bigsby on her and rock out. Turns out that it needs some serious TLC. I am about to order pots, I live down the street from Antique Electronic Supply. Do you guys buy solid shaft or split shaft.

I also need to buy:
    -a pickguard and gold bracket
    - speed knobs
    - strap locks
    - toggle switch

(but all that is for another post I suppose)

12. SJM

Split shaft and I've used their Bourns pots on a couple of things and find they work as well as CTS. They don't meter out as well as CTS but the tapers are great and Antique Electronics has a really low price on them. :)

13. p700

p700 Senior Member

got my answer - split shafts!

During my search I found Guitar Parts & Wiring Diagrams-FREE Shipping Over $49 to have sweet deals and great selection. No, they are not paying me but I can get 4 CTS 500K pots (two linear and two audio), 4 speed knobs, gold strap buttons, gold toggle switch screw ring, gold pickguard bracket, 4 caps, toggle switch knob, and a new 1/4" jack for about $75. Nice little project I have here.

From their website it looks like Antique Electronic Supply does not have guitar pots by CTS. Too bad, since they are down the street. Correct me if I am wrong.

14. SJM

They sell CTS pots, just not the ones you need.:)

15. imitebelvis

imitebelvis Senior Member

Did the custom turn out to be a bad deal?

16. p700

p700 Senior Member

I am posting pics tonight.

17. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Senior Member

you can usually get one of these free or for less than a quarter @ Lowes or any hardware store. just trace the 3/8" diameter w/ a pencil & save the time of constantly rechecking the holes.:thumb:

[​IMG]

18. Bigneil

Bigneil Senior Member

To fit epi lp, the collar (the threaded part of the pot shaft) needs to be 10mm long. This is what usually described as a short shaft, but watch out because you get even shorter ones for strats. The long shaft usually have 18mm collar, this is the size for gibbys.

19. gmeyers

gmeyers Junior Member

I have a '96 MIK Epi GT. I assume by all the remarks that I would want to use short shaft pots?

Thanks

20. SJM

This is an old thread. I've since started using long shaft pots on my Epi's even though short will work. The long shafts are easier to fit in and much easier to solder on inside the cavity. They usually come with two nuts for easy length adjustment. An Epi LP Standard body is typically only 1/8" less in thickness to that of a Gibson LP Standard so there is still plenty of clearance inside the cavity. :)

4 people like this.