Post your PAF sound clips, makers and players...

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Dave Stephens, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

There's some pickup makers here I've not heard of and some of you players have pickups I've never heard before from some of my friends even. Thought it would be cool to put up a place so we can all hear eachother's stuff. Maybe the webmaster can tell you how to upload .mp3 files, I don't know if its a supported format or not. Those familiar with ftp can post links to sound files. I'll post my clips later, but right now here's an mp3 of Bozz Skaggs with Duane Allman playing real clean with what I consider the holy grail of PAF tone:
    http://ur.pair.com/shrapnel/paf/Boz Skaggs - Loan Me#1101A9.mp3

Let me know if this doesn't work or not...enjoy

2. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Didn't work on my PC Dave.

Shame, I would have liked to hear that.

3. Dave Stephens

Hey Spence! I think it has to do with my sound file having spaces in the name I'll try fixing it and uploading again later tonite. Its one of the benchmark songs I listen to over and over...

4. Dave Stephens

OK, I renamed the file with no spaces for the PC users, try this and let me know if it works:
    http://ur.pair.com/shrapnel/paf/allman-skaggs.mp3

The thing that really strikes me about this set of PAFs is the metallic holow kind of tone. I used to think he was playing the bridge pickup but now I think maybe he is playing in the middle with the neck rolled back a tad. I wonder if he was also playing through a Fender amp instead of a Marshall?

5. Dave Stephens

6. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

That's the tone. But it's clear that some of those guys set the amp up for the neck pickup. Switching to the bridge pickup made for a bad experience and some of those guys shunned the idea of using both pickups together too.
    I suppose it's all about taste. I like to set my Lezzer up for the middle switch position though I used to set it up for the bridge position exclusively.
    A true PAF tone becomes hard to define if your own experience of it relates to one player's set-up. I know you don't just listen to Duane, Dave butI'm sure you'd agree that the only way to nail a PAF tone would be to find common ground by testing bridge and neck with neutral tone on an amp before exploring the variables.

7. Dave Stephens

Yeah you're partially right, Clapton in every video I've seen using PAFs only played the bridge. IN the second tune with Herbie Mann I posted you can hear Duane switch to the bridge which yeah is pretty shrill, you can see this also in the Fillmore video on YouTube. Some stuff I read about him said that he used the middle position alot and mixed the ratios of each pickup, so that explains some of his tones. I get complaints from modern players when I started working on PAFs that when switching they didn't balance. Pussies.... Most modern players to be honest just can't deal with REAL vintage pickups, strats that aren't RWRP and PAFs that were wound real low and nearly identical winds on both, sure doesn't bother me.

I wonder about Duane's tone also in that part of it may have been that he may be using 9 gauge strings. In '72 we were all using 8 and 9 gauge strings because thats what was considered cool back then. That sure would tend to make PAFs have a certain vibe than 11 gauge strings would.

These days to more balance a PAF set out I use different alnicos and having the luxury of my choice of two different steel alloys for pole screws, I can compensate somewhat to keep the winds fairly close but take the sting out of the bridge just a little bit with softer alnico tone and darker sounding pole screws. It sure pays to have your own parts made, some of the ready available parts most winders buy are very detrimental to anything that can be made using them....

8. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

9. Stowburst

Stowburst V.I.P. Member

10. Dave Stephens

The Wolfe clip is real hard for me to relate to, I guess probably because I'm from the blues crowd, plug straight in and play.

I had Jake E Lee (Ozzy Osbourne) do a sound clip for me for my Alnico II Silver Series set some time back, I get emails about this from rock guys but Jake did the sound sample with a POD, to me this just masks the pickup but maybe to the heavy players they relate better to it. I'd be interested in opinions on that one, I'm not a heavy player and have a hard time making sound clips like that, so don't sell many buckers to the heavy players.

Here's Jake E Lee, "Bacon" :
    http://sdpickups.com/audio/bacon.mp3

11. WBPickups

WBPickups Guest

Very cool... I have been away for awhile working and haven't seen this post. But sometime this coming week. I will start to go through all my clips and start posting some here sometime next week. Very cool idea Dave!:applause:

12. Dave Stephens

I would like to discourage posting clips done through a POD into a computer, this method is so far removed from anything real world, its a very distorted method of making something that may not be that great sound better than it really is. I don't use POD sound clips on my site because I don't want angry customers sending pickups back telling me they sound nothing like the sound clips:) We've had some discussions about this on the pickup forum. Its for that reason I've never actually sold a bucker set based on the Jake E Lee clip because I am honest with customers and tell them its a skewed sound clip :)

I'm not against effects or loud metal tone, if thats the kind of stuff you play or sell then please keep it real and do it through a real amp and pedals and a mic on the amp. I don't know anyone who plays live through a POD (wow am I predjudiced or what???) so why record pickups with one.....

13. Maxman

Maxman Member

Listen to the Allman Brothers song "Soul Shine" to me THAT is THE pinacle of PAF tone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Southbay Ampworks

Southbay Ampworks Senior Member

15. TheThreeKings

TheThreeKings Junior Member

16. TheThreeKings

TheThreeKings Junior Member

Jim, this is StevieRaveOn68 over at TGP. clips sound killer! cant decide what to put in my Edwards JP Relic; WCR Betset, BK Mules, or Wolfetone Dr V's.

thought about mixing them.:shock: whatcha think about a WCR Peter Green in the neck and Betset in the bridge? how is the Green/Moore neck vs Betset neck?

Thanks

17. Todd Louis

Todd Louis V.I.P. Member

18. WBPickups

WBPickups Guest

Yes... Damn great song!

19. dogbone94

dogbone94 Senior Member

yes, yes, yes... you can't beat that warren tone.... how do i post my clip?... wb, can you do that for me{since you have it} or tell me how?

20. Dave Stephens

Finally, since I started the thread was fine tuning my new prototypes, what alot of work these were, alot of research involved, alot of live playing, anyway, at last here's my contribution. This set I've been playing for a couple months now and they are really fun to play.....here's the background info and sound clips:

I've been obsessed and fascinated with PAFs for about five years now, pretty much my whole humbucker line-up is an evolutionary story of my self education and research to get as authentic a tone as possible, a never ending search.

What have I learned so far? I'll tell you a little and leave some things out I keep to myself. There is no ONE secret to PAF tone. Its not the magnets, its not the coil offset, its not "aging." Its a sum of each component doing its part, if one part isn't correct you won't get the real deal tones, something will be missing. For me I don't want to "cheat" and try to get that tone using wrong guage wire etc. etc. like some do. One of the pieces of the puzzle thats come together this last year has been the particular kinds of steel alloys used in the pickups. These alloys are critically important and its why StewMac humbucker kits will always sound like StewMac pickups, they can't be anything else.

So with that in mind these sound clips are my top of the line PAF recreations, aimed at one kind of PAF tone, being articulate and full of clarity and soul. I've had my own pole screws made in two correct alloys to my own design specs. I've made my own keeper bars in the correct alloy and hand cut my own slugs and hand plated them (will be having them made soon). So I've put all this knowledge into this current offering for those who want something really nice, paying total respect to history.

I am looking for ideas for a name for this set, tentatively they are called the Platinum Series PAF set. There will be two versions, this is version One. If you have any ideas for names please let me know, it has to be classy and point out these are top-of-the-line.

OK, the bad news is these are going to retail for $375 a set, possibly more but thats the starting price. Secondly my wait time is close to 12 weeks now and getting longer, it always happens when summer comes along, I just have to live with it and keep going :)

Here's the sound clips, excuse my sloppy playing :) The clips are done through a '73 Princeton played low then turned up. There's nothing between the guitar and the amp, no tricks, just stupid simple so you can hear the pickups and the guitar. For you guys who play heavy music maybe you can't relate to this kind of sound clip, if you buy a set or any of my stuff and can play damn good I sure could use some guys who play heavy stuff to send me sound clips of my products, I'm just not that kind of player, me play bluessss. If your clips are great I'll use them on my website and credit the player with links if you have them.

Additonally, the pickup set comes with an extra set of pole screws in alternate alloys, so you can change the tone of the pickups by swapping out pole pieces. I am going to be offering pole screw sets for you guys who want to change the tone of your existing humbuckers or P90s soon, they will be $26 for two sets of different alloys, 24 screws in all. I'll explain more later or email me about that. Pole screw alloy content has a daramatic effect on tone, any steel part in a humbucker does.

Ok, I'll shut up now, here's the clips, enjoy:

http://www.sdpickups.com/audio/platinum-cranked.mp3
    http://www.sdpickups.com/audio/platinum-clean.mp3

Dave