Possible 58-59 Les Paul No Serial No.

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Paulg2uk, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Paulg2uk

Paulg2uk Senior Member

I forgot to mention the most important factor. The guitar sounds awesome it has that out of phase sound in-between the pickups like the Greeny les Paul. As mentioned it does need some work doing to it. It's the bridge that needs some attention. Over the years the wood has worn down inside the body where the bridge poles go in on one side. It's affecting the action of the guitar as the bridge is jacked up fairly high to compensate.

I'd like to get it fixed if possible as its a great guitar to play.

2. neuroy

neuroy Member

It looks like the neck has been glued in too far north. That could explain the huge heel.
    It´s almost impossible to get the correct intonation, because the scale is longer now. Another way to fix it, would have been to relocate the bridge. We should see other filled holes there,

You can notice that the neck PU went up north ,too . there are filled holes of the PU ring (possibly the original position of the ring) a little towards the bridge.
    There is no maple strip for the truss rod channel. Has the neck a TR ?
    Could be some kind of homemade neck. It reminds me of my own "work" when I was 15 and not knowing much about guitar construction...

The legs of the PU look like the srews did not fit anymore, and a metal plate was fixed to give the srew more " flesh". I did those kind of "repairs" myself in those days.

3. Paulg2uk

Paulg2uk Senior Member

The neck does have a truss rod.

4. Razzle Dazzle

Razzle Dazzle 404 Title Not Found Premium Member

Hi Guys...:wave:

This thread escalated really quickly, damn it went from a possible Fugazi Les Paul to "I possibly have Bolan's Les Paul" as fast as a Porsche goes from 0-100 km/h...:laugh2:

When I first saw OP's post I thought the same as fellow member "Waboe", this Forum kinda get's a lot of these posts but after OP uploaded the pictures my first thought actually was this looks like a really messed with 50's Les Paul. I did not got that impression because I went all Hardly Boy's with the pictures and compared every known aspect of 50's Les Paul with OP's one, no it was just my first impression of this Les Paul and idk why; It kinda got the vibe of an 50's Gibson. The guitar was clearly re-necked, there is something of with those pup routes & it was refinished but that's not the end of the world, there have been much crazier things done to 50's LP's...:rofl:

I'm no pro in doing this kinda work but Eric told me a lot back in August when we met to have a look at "9 1259" and we definitely saw some crazy things...:lol:

If you really wanna know if this is a real 50's one there is no way around bringing it to a pro or at least upload waaayyyy better shot of the cavities, pup cavities & all the parts (BTW the ABR-1 & Tailpiece look original to me)....:thumb:

Anyways....

I actually think you could have Bolan's Les Paul. You certainly do not have the one that had a Les Paul Custom neck on it since the screw holes form the neck plate are missing and that Custom Neck one shows no features that are similar to yours.... BUT... The fact that nearly all rockstars did not have just one guitar and that Bolan probably bought a second one that looked similar to his #1 sounds really "not special" to my ears and that kinda confirms my thoughts even more. I will upload some pictures where I compared your guitar to the pictures of Bolans Custom neck one & the ones that look really similar to your Lester and that was the final confirmation for me. Your guitar clearly shows some of the same features as the Les Paul that Bolan put on the album Cover & the one he's holding in the field, it show no similarities compared to his Les Paul Custom neck one though....:hmm:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Razzle Dazzle

Razzle Dazzle 404 Title Not Found Premium Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I see non of the above similarities on Bolan's Custom Neck Les Paul...:shock:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. neuroy

neuroy Member

@ Razzle Dazzle :

Sorry to contadict, but the spots you have shown do not match. Except the snakebite.
    Watch MB in the field : the fret seems not to match the body/neck joint, but it´s just the camera angle ! Look at the cutaway area, here you see the body/neck clearly in line with the 16th fret.
    But this is not important, because it is not the same neck ! The one in the OP is definitely not in the correct place.

7. deaninkl

deaninkl Senior Member

+1 at least with the photos here, some of the wood marks look very similar, I wood definitely take it to and expert and get it looked at.

8. eric ernest

eric ernest V.I.P. Member

I'm almost 100% certain that is Marc Bolan's guitar. :thumb:

I'm pretty certain it's had three different necks on it...at least.

18 people like this.
  9. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

I'm absolutely certain that while MB had several Les Pauls he only had the one "Cochran" finished LP.

Fascinating thread by the way and more interesting for me personally than the Franpton saga!!:thumb:

3 people like this.
  10. andreww

andreww Senior Member

I don't think so. Of course the Bigsby marks are similar, but look at the most distinguishing mark, the dark spot above the toggle switch. Looks similar right? I've mashed the photos up below and as you can see, that mark is in a different location on the two guitars, green on Bolan's, red on the OP's.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. eric ernest

Look at the frets....they don't line up either....so that photo comp is not useful.

5 people like this.
  12. andreww

andreww Senior Member

Pictures will never line up 100% Eric. Some have said that the neck was reset incorrectly, so I didn't fret too much about them. But if you look at that whole upper quadrant, it all bits together with nothing being off by more than a 1/16" or two... except for that spot which is about a half inch out of place.

I stand by the result and still say that is not the same guitar.

13. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

If its that guitar,

Wasn't that one stolen in 1977?

So where was it from 77 to 1994/95?

14. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

Either way, this is one of the best threads in months, and I would love to own that guitar...still looking forward to further revelation of its story.

4 people like this.
  15. eric ernest

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  16. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

Based on flashing back forthe between these overlaps I made, this has to be it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

Evil minds work alike Eric, lol

1 person likes this.
  18. eric ernest

You got it. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  19. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Does just a body, a guitar make?

2 people like this.
  20. eric ernest

It was highly modified when Marc had it.

2 people like this.