Possible 58-59 Les Paul No Serial No.

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Paulg2uk, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Greco

Greco Senior Member

Found that Bolt-on pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

I don't think it is Bolen's. the grain on the horn is different.

3. dangerdog

dangerdog Senior Member

The three pictured above are not the OPs.

4. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

There must have been a few with the Custom neck. Bill P's reneck had a Custom neck as a replacement.

5. Greco

Greco Senior Member

6. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

I think the pic above is this same guitar before the neck break..You can see the Snake bite marks.

[​IMG]

Does this look like it could be a Volute on the back of the Custom neck?

[​IMG]

7. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Bolans #1 standard had something going on between the 2 pickups - possibly a third pickup at one point in its life i'm thinking - could be wrong but watching different vids where you can see it theres something going on in the space between the 2 pups. There was a video of him at home with June where he plays it and is the best close up i've ever seen before the re-neck - I'm trying to find it but not having much luck :(

[Bolan rules BTW]

I do love the amount of work gone into making the OP's Les Paul into what it is :)

8. Greco

Greco Senior Member

Agreed. Bolan's main axe always has that "paw print" on the horn, and the OP guitar to me is looking more like a really faded sunburst, painted black and then somewhat carefully removed, but still a sunburst versus painted streaky Gretsch orange.

1 person likes this.
  9. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cheers2:

1 person likes this.
  10. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Interesting pic - check out the seam along the body - looks norlin to me :shock:

I wander if he had 2 or his just wasnt a burst like I thought it was.... could swear I read somewhere he didnt like the burst paint and wanted it to look more like a gretch that some guy played - Eddie Cochran I think....

sorry to be off topic :D

1 person likes this.
  11. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

also the burst paint on the back also.

1 person likes this.
  12. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

At least if anyone comes to MLP in the future with a possible Marc Bolan #1 "main man" guitar we know to look for a burst back and definitely pancake body ie: norlin - I wonder if Gibson picked this up for their reproduction of it ?

[i'm just messing around with the #1 and main man references - trying coin a phrase I guess]

13. Greco

Greco Senior Member

Yeah it does doesn't it. Norlin with a Custom neck and bolt-on, of course! Geez, see I told you it was a minefield. :laugh2:

Back to the OPs guitar - it looks to be a double white in the bridge, if it's a PAF.

14. TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2 Senior Member

Did you remove the neck pickup to see if there is anything stamped or written in the cavity?

To me it looks like the finish was stripped at one time and finished over natural. I could be wrong.

15. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Post #29.

16. eric ernest

eric ernest V.I.P. Member

I'm not at the shop...but I thought I would throw out a question or two.

So the guitar has been in THIS condition since the mid 90's? It has not had any changes made since then?

If you really wants some answers, you are going to need much better photos...preferably in sunlight.

Concentrate on the control rout, and bridge PAF. (I can see the feet have been altered.)

5 people like this.
  17. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Being in Essex and buying it from an Essex dealer........:hmm:.........did your dad get it from Gary Winterflood?

18. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

From a 1972 interview with MB.....

Marc, what guitars do you have?

"Lots, I've about ten. Five Gibsons, a Stratocaster, a Flying Arrow, four gold Gibson Les Pauls. But I love them, I mean, it's not like 'I buy guitars, kid' you know, each has an individual sound. I mean that one there, which has an amazing sound, costs £35. It's a cheap Japanese guitar, which is a copy of a Gibson guitar, which sounds just like a Gibson guitar, so I bougt that. A Gibson costs £300".

1972 int. from the book Voxpop, int. by Michael Wale

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ-1srE38_c[/ame]

19. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Here's a better live vid of the guitar from 1976............

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWg76Jn6fh8[/ame]

I was very much into T Rex in the early 70's. Mainly because it allowed you to pull far more foxier chicks than if you dug Uriah Heep!:thumb:

11 people like this.
  20. Paulg2uk

Paulg2uk Senior Member

He sure did Gary is an old mate of ours. I've know him for years. I've played in bands with him on and off. It belonged to a mate of his called Steve who owned a guitar shop in Rainham Essex. He used to live in Hornchurch and that's who first taught me to play the guitar. He's the guy who sold it to us. But I reckon Steve got it thru Gary at some point.

Thanks for all the posts guys i'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment. An answer to some previous questions. The only documentation I had that came with the guitar was the photo of Marc holding it in some sort of field behind him which some one has already posted and also I had a newspaper cutting of where the guitar was listed for sale not sure where I'd have to find it. But the guitar is listed for something stupid like £200 or something.

The guitar hasn't changed in all these years no, the bridge pickup has definetly been changed as its white under the cover not black like on the Bolan pic.

1 person likes this.