Possible 58-59 Les Paul No Serial No.

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Paulg2uk, Nov 10, 2015.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

I have absolutely bugger all to add. Brilliant thread though. Fanastic example of what an Internet forum should be.

2. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

[​IMG]

3. Rikky R

Rikky R Member

Gitfreak - Did you have any luck getting some pictures of the guitar you saw in France? Your information was potentially very significant to understanding the history of what happened to Marc's guitar. Do post again, even if it is just to let us know you didn't get anymore info.

SG1000 likes this.
  4. Jungle_Face_Jake

Jungle_Face_Jake Member

Bump. Any more news on what is happening with this guitar? The OP mentioned that he might get it restored to how it was when Marc owned it. How's this going?

In the meantime a clearer version of a TV feature from 1970 has appeared on youtube where there is a nice close up of the upper section of the body, and a couple of the identifying 'birdseye' knots above the neck pup and next to the poker chip can be seen

Here's a clip compared to the picture of the guitar taken in the garden back in the 90's or whenever, when the sunburst refinish was unfaded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not wishing to flog a dead horse here...

RevWillie and SG1000 like this.
  5. Rikky R

Rikky R Member

Wonderful clip of Marc in his flat in Notting Hill filmed before 'Ride A White Swan' was a hit and he was still working as a duo. The clip is from a cinema film called London Rock and Marc's segment is only about four minutes during which he plays an acoustic song 'Suneye' on the Les Paul. Note the very light strings and the ease with which he puts vibrato on them. The original film interview must have been longer and I have for a long time wondered whether the discarded film survives anywhere.

6. j2tgw

j2tgw Junior Member

DSC_1043.JPG DSC_1043.JPG I have been reading this post with much interest , I don't know where this pic that was on the forum came from ? but I have just taken a pic of the
    of the original two pics that were taken of this guitar ,
    The guitar on the pics was indeed up for sale in the early 90,s in the Essex area ? it was for sale for quite some time ? the reason being the
    Marc Bolan connection \ history ? nobody wanted to touch it at the time , just incase the insurance company \ Bolan estate reposed it ?
    It did however disappear under the radar ? until now it appears ? if it is the same guitar ?
    I am sure there is someone out there that knows more about this guitar and the truth would come out ?
    Best of luck on that

Tom !!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  7. oldflame

oldflame Senior Member

As I said in my post a while back, I saw it and played it and took photos that I posted here. I can even tell you what part of Essex and what street is was for sale in :)...that was indeed about the same time.

8. Jungle_Face_Jake

Jungle_Face_Jake Member

Rikki R. Yeah it's a great clip of Marc. I didn't know it was part of a film, I always assumed it was some kind of brief TV feature. I always found the spiritual side of Marc to be very endearing, and this was something that followed him throughout his recording career, though was somewhat negated by the rock star bravado post '71.

j2tgw. That's interesting that you should have the original prints of the garden pictures. I was assuming these were taken sometime in the 90's - is that correct? It seems a lot of folks knew of the provenance of this guitar. It would be interesting to fill in the details of it's history between 1977 and now. As for any claims by the Bolan/Feld estate I don't think this is at all likely. I did meet Marc's son Rolan and the surviving members of the Feld family about 18 months ago and I discussed this thread with Rolan, and he told me he has no interest in pursuing this. He basically doesn't have the inclination or energy for a protracted legal battle, especially as Rolan, Gloria and the Feld family have been involved in years of legal battles to claim some of Marc's missing millions. The thought of another legal battle is a bridge too far for him. So I think the OP is safe. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since this guitar was originally stolen.

Old Flame. I think you might know a bit more that you can say on here ;-)

KALMIYH

9. Petestass

Petestass Junior Member

Hi Rikki, as a hardcore fan from Boley since the early seventies I'm very pleased with this thread. As this is a LP forum I like to keep it short but otherwise I like to share some pics with you and all the fans of Marc.
    Always wondered what happened to his white teardrop strat, so your information that he decided to destroy it on stage during a gig in the USA / August 1973 (removing the the enamel teardrop first) was new to me. This guitar was the reason I started to play guitar, as I fell in love with the picture on the backside of the Bolan Boogie LP. My beloved grandpa bought me a a white strat copy in a local shop for christmas 72, although i can't play a single note at that time. Soon a painted cardboard teardrop was fixed and so the whole thing started...
    Like to share two photos of which I now know they are fom the last appearance of the (damaged) "White Swan". White Swan without Teardrop.JPG White Swan Back.jpeg "White Swan".

Rikky R likes this.
  10. Jungle_Face_Jake

Jungle_Face_Jake Member

There is an interview on Piccadilly Radio in Manchester from 1975 where Marc gives the heavily damaged white strat away in a competition.

The section where he talks about giving away the white strat is around 9:00. The question is who won the competition and where is the strat now? If only we knew. BTW Piccadilly Radio have no records of who won the competition.

mad-dot and Rikky R like this.
  11. Rikky R

Rikky R Member

I quite agree. And it was a deep and genuine feeling that was strong in his life in the years 1968-70 and I think the music he made during those years is charged with that outlook, hence its enchantment. The cynics can't grasp that it might also sit alongside a love of rock'n'roll and a desire to be successful.

12. Rikky R

Rikky R Member

I'm very grateful for this link. It is interesting to hear Marc talking about the Strat's fate. I have read a story that the remnants were sold in a shop in South London. I guess it is possible that the person who won the Strat from Manchester radio then decided to sell it. On the other hand, there is also the question of what happened to the other white Strat Marc had a s a back-up, seen in backstage photos on the Electric Warrior tour 1971.
    I hope the Forum will excuse this digression into Strats.

13. Rikky R

Rikky R Member

Thanks for posting these pictures. It's sad and a little disturbing to me that Marc had so little feeling for this guitar which was his first owned electric - i.e. that he got for himself - and that was so significant to his creative musical development. And I think Marc before 1971 would possibly have been horrified had he known at what he later did both to the Les Paul (breaking it in sring 1971) and then gradually wrecking the Strat which had been with him since the beginning. But I guess that's what happens after too much cocaine and losing the plot...

14. Rikky R

Rikky R Member

Did you ever work out how to play Elemental Child or get his Beard of Stars tone?

15. Petestass

Petestass Junior Member

There is a wonderful detailed article from Analog Man about Marcs tone.
    http://www.analogman.com/bolan.htm
    I'm using a replica shatterbox currently available on eBay UK, a replica rangemaster from the same company (British Pedal Company, which are doing wonderful replicas) a vintage coloursound Wah Pedal (which always has to be on in open position in the loop!) and a wonderful box that I bought from a guy in Nashville who packed the Vampower Amp circuit in a pedal.
    HH Amps and a Copycat and the screaming tree (that I have) are nice but not neccessary. With this Euipment you are able to nail his tone up to 90%, the missing rest are from Marc's fingers and Tonys great studio work.

Attached Files:

16. Jungle_Face_Jake

Jungle_Face_Jake Member

Where is it now? I guess it was in such bad shape when Marc finished with it it could have either a) been repaired and refinished, which was the done thing in the 70's, or b) been broken down for parts. I've also wondered about the second white Strat seen backstage on the EW tour. The only pics I've seen of this one were on that tour so maybe that guitar was hired in specifically as a backup on that tour?

17. Rikky R

Rikky R Member

Yes I don't recall seeing other photos of it except possibly to the side of the stage in some live photos circa 1971-72 but I may be mistaken about that. Your idea about hiring is interesting. I think the consequences of the Les Paul neck break only just before the May 1971 UK tour may have made Marc think that he needed backups in case anything else happened (!). My impression is that by the summer of 1971 he could afford to buy a few guitars as that's when he got the Les Paul Custom, the Flying V, and probably the SG seen in the photo session for Electric Warrior. Do we know whether equipment like guitars was hired out in the early 70s in the UK?

18. Jungle_Face_Jake

Jungle_Face_Jake Member

I'm just guessing that it might have been hired in as it wasn't seen again after that tour as far as I know. But yeah he could have bought it and then given it away as a gift which is something he did with a lot of his guitars. He had very good taste in guitars. There are so many cool guitars he owned over the years aside from the obvious orange LP, white Strat and Flying V. The Black Beauty LP Custom. the LP Special, the Tele Custom, the SG Special (with humbuckers - was this the John's Children SG?), the white SG Custom, the Firebird - the list goes on...

19. Petestass

Petestass Junior Member

IMG_2693.JPG Like to share a picture from the 1972 Sukita photo shoot in London with Marc, Chelita Secunda and Mick O'Halloran (Marc's roadie) , holding Marc's LP with the Custom Neck installed, showing the flawless (for me restored) back of the body.

IMG_2693.JPG

lakeburst likes this.