Possible 58-59 Les Paul No Serial No.

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Paulg2uk, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Mr. Satchmo

Mr. Satchmo Senior Member

Good luck with your restoration, that guitar I going to be amazing once it restored.

2. lpcustom69

lpcustom69 Premium Member

Some of the Greco's of that time period also had bolt-on necks. I have one.

2 people like this.
  3. Metal Guru

Metal Guru Member

If it were my guitar I'd be sending it back to Gibson...

4. oldflame

oldflame Senior Member

What's your reasoning behind that if you don't mind me asking?

lashing likes this.
  5. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Isn't it ****ed up enough already?

serch777, lashing, thxphotog and 6 others like this.
  6. Philuk

Philuk Senior Member

PM sent.

7. Jogonmateyboy

Jogonmateyboy Junior Member

Hi Paul,
    Glad to see this post resumed. There is a lot of Bolan fans would love to see this guitar again.
    Note of caution from someone with experience, wherever you decide to take the guitar for repair, don't let it out of your sight. It is not uncommon for guitars of this calibre to go in for repair and come out minus the PAF's cos there are some great reissues today and not everyone can tell the difference. I know that's not a nice thing to say but as a guitar reviewer I've had to break bad news of this kind on a number of famous guitars in the past.
    I would be really keen to do a great feature on this guitar cataloging it's construction and timeline. I think the guys on this forum would love to know some more detail. I can do the review by coming to you, the guitar would never leave your sight. If you want to know more about me (and other people who have trusted me with their guitars) contact me via famousfrets.com. Would be great to hear from you Paul, thanks.

8. Mr. Satchmo

Mr. Satchmo Senior Member

I agree. I would send that guitar to Gibson's restoration and Repair shop, where their master luthiers will build a proper neck for that guitar and make sure she's perfect.

That's where my custom is going right now after it was damaged

9. oldflame

oldflame Senior Member

Fair enough, but i can think of at least 3 guys who could do it just as good, probably cheaper and dare i say better.

5 people like this.
  10. cjp54

cjp54 Senior Member

Clive Brown?

1 person likes this.
  11. oldflame

oldflame Senior Member

:thumb:

12. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

amazing thread. what a story.

good luck paul, post pics and some clips when she's repaired!

13. SickAgain

SickAgain Senior Member

Contact Gibson for sure, remember they produced a signature edition limited guitar, they'd love to get their hands on the original, they'd probably do any repair for free!

14. Philuk

Philuk Senior Member

What's going on OP, any progress? :)

15. Carl Mustaine

Carl Mustaine Member

If Gibson get their hands on it, is it likely they will create another reissue, but MUCH closer to the original than the reissues from 2011/12? I have seen one of the hand aged ones and it has a lot more wear on the back than the original has. Which kind of suggests they never had that much info about the original to begin with.

Didn't the guy from Gibson state they had taken the details from the original in the promo video from for the Bolan guitars?

Regards

Carl

16. oldflame

oldflame Senior Member

Can't say it looks close to the original guitar that Bolan played. But I recall that it played okay at the time I had a go. To be honest as it is, it's a bit of a lash up.

17. 1969

1969 Junior Member

I've been following this thread with great interest, being a huge T. Rex fan, general guitar nut and keen amateur mystery solver and whilst I would love the OP to have Marc's famous guitar, as someone has mentioned already, the back of the body of the Bolan Les Paul has a very visible block of replacement wood around the neck joint.

It isn't present on the guitar in the 'garden' photos but appears to appear (!) in late 1971 around the time of the first neck change (to another Standard neck). Photos of the guitar from that period show a line on the side of the body (below the 17th/18th fret mark) where the wood is a different shade to the rest of the body. It's not where the neck meets the body (that's at the 16th fret) but part of the body itself. It becomes even more visible when the Custom neck goes on and you can clearly see three colours- the black of the neck, the dark wood of the block and then the lighter wood of the rest of the body.

The website of photographer Barrie Wentzell has lots of great shots of T. Rex live where you can see it clearly. He also took the 'garden' shots.

http://barriewentzell.com/bolan-marc-t-rex/

The OP's Les Paul has no sign of this fairly prominent oddity of the Bolan Les Paul so logically one must (sadly) have to conclude that this is not Marc's guitar.

If Marc's guitar is out there, it's going to be identifiable by this block.

18. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Guess you're referring to this,

[​IMG]

19. 1969

1969 Junior Member

That's it, exactly. It would make sense that it's structural rather than cosmetic seeing as it suddenly appears around the time of the first re-neck and remains through all the subsequent neck changes.

The OP's guitar doesn't have anything similar on the body and I can't think of any explanation as to how it could disappear or be covered over.

Unless there's an explanation that escapes me, it can't be the same guitar.

20. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

Could be just a good counterfeit of Marc's guitar that was made by a fan at some point utilizing real and non Gibson parts n pieces...could be (or not) a counterfiet made to cash in on Bolin's Les Paul , who knows.....I have seen several "bursts" over the years that were NOT Gibson bursts that would fool most people, not stating this is a "fake" but without hands on apples to apples definite documents and such it is hard to state what it (the guitar) is and what it would not be....