Possible 58-59 Les Paul No Serial No.

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Paulg2uk, Nov 10, 2015.

1. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

This guitar was mention in a thread(post #24) from 2008 so those photos have been in the Serial Log at least since then.

2. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Read post #265 in this thread and draw your own conclusions about the pics.

This is some of the last post by the OP 2 months ago, I don't think he's going to be discussing the guitar anymore.

3. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

So the the first photos where taken in the mid 90s which is around the time the OPs dad bought the guitar. That makes sense.

4. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

I think there is another dimension to this story also I think...that is who owned the guitar before Bolan?

[​IMG]

5. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

From a few pages back.

6. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

Thanks for the info!

[​IMG]

7. Jungle_Face_Jake

Jungle_Face_Jake Member

Wow, I've not been on this or the other forum for a couple of months and look what I've missed!!! Amazing thread. I've done research on the guitar a few years ago and posted what information I had gathered (some of it speculation) on a thread on the Gear Page http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/marc-bolan-s-les-paul.492761/page-2#post-9431661

I think this is what Jorg Gunther had used as the basis for his Facebook post on the guitar which Rikki R mentioned earlier in the thread. Though Jorg had correctly identified the chronology of neck/fretboard 2 and 3 which I had the wrong way round. My personal theory is that necks 2 and 3 were in fact repairs to the original broken neck which was fitted with new fretboards and that these repairs weren't good and so Marc got a complete new Custom neck fitted in mid '72. Anyway this has already been discussed a million times now here and elsewhere.

It's great that this has now been positively identified as what is left of Marc's original Les Paul. I too agree that the body is 100% Marc's guitar when comparing the grain side by side. Previously all we had were the two pictures of the 'garden burst' on Burst serial claiming to be the Bolan guitar but which may or may not have been THE one. So a big thanks to the OP for having the balls to come forward and post more recent detailed pictures which have enabled this to be positively identified as what remains of the Bolan Burst.

It's tragic that the guitar isn't as it was when Marc owned it. It would be good if the truth of what actually happened in the years between it going missing in early '77 and the OP's father acquiring it in the mid '90's were to finally be known. But some people have good reason to keep quiet.

As to who has the legal right of ownership that's something I don't want to comment on or indeed have any idea of legally. But I do know that there would be a lot of folks who'd like to see this guitar in the flesh. IMHO it should be restored to how it was when Marc owned it and put in a museum.

Ironically, the main reason I missed this thread was that, at the time this was kicking off, I was actually putting a website together for The Marc Bolan London Music Project, so that pre-occupied me for a while. The project is to raise funds to build a memorial stage and garden at Northwold Primary School which was the school Marc attended near his childhood home in Stoke Newington, London. The project has been put together by a group of fans, personal friends of Marc's and members of the Feld family, and the first major fundraising event is taking place on 6th February at Northwold School.

If anyone would like to check out further information on the project please visit the website The Marc Bolan London Music Project

3 people like this.
  8. Wolf ^_^

Wolf ^_^ Senior Member

That headstock looks very melody maker'ish

9. Philuk

Philuk Senior Member

Is he wearing a t-shirt with a picture of himself on it? :applause:

1 person likes this.
  10. Rikky R

Rikky R Member

11. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Damn... I spent 2 hours on this thread without feeling the time !!!!

I couldn't leave it before reaching the last post !!!! and I am still interested in knowing more not only about the history of the guitar but about its future as well !

1 person likes this.
  12. andreww

andreww Senior Member

Yep, standing next to a cardboard cutout of himself.

2 people like this.
  13. Philuk

Philuk Senior Member

Rock stars. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  14. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Hey all, just been through all the posts on this thread and we never answered Pauls original question definitively - ie: is this a 58 or 59? (Or as one person pointed out a 57 refined goldtop)
    We know Marc knew Jimmi Page, David Bowie, surely he had some exposure to Clapton and Keith Richards too, all these people used bursts in their 70's careers - some before 1970. So I imagine Marc noticed and thought "I gotta get one of those" I'm thinking it's a 58, as I don't believe Marc could be bothered to get a goldtop stripped... (As it would be unknown if the maple seam would be off centre) .... However makes sense if it was a well used 58 that had faded and "didn't look right" or the cherry burst was quite bright and not desirable.....and.....was a plain top - so he thought get Jo-blow to make it orange like Eddie Cochrans!
    Just a theory though.... Is there any way someone very experienced in pre 1960 Les Paul Standards that could weigh in with a final on the year just by body, cavities alone?

Cheers Andy

15. oldflame

oldflame Senior Member

:hmm: Well, well, well. I have just spotted this thread. I don't get over here too often but I'll tell you this much. I know this guitar and tomorrow I'll post a photo of it that I took in either the late 80's or the early 90's.

I know who that is.

This is correct although he had the guitar a good while before he had the shop in Rainham. In fact the photo I have of it was taken in the garden of his then home.

Agree.

16. oldflame

oldflame Senior Member

As promised....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same one for sure. My scanner is stuffed so I had to quickly shoot the polaroid on my mobile phone.

Cropped....

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  17. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

Amazing thread, I want more :thumb:

18. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Senior Member

wow i remember bolan back in 76-so what happen with this?

19. Paulg2uk

Paulg2uk Senior Member

Hi guys,

Paul here again. I know I know its been a while since I posted on this thread but I had make sure there were no issues I hope you all understand. It's been a crazy few months and I was overwhelmed by all the responses I got on this guitar. I had a few offers on it as well but I'd like to make it clear It's definetly not for sale!

The main thing is you have all seen it and it is no longer a secret. I had a long think about it and I thought what am I doing? it's a guitar at the end of the day its made to be played and for people to see it, not kept a secret and locked away. I'm pretty certain its not a problem and it's too late for anyone to come forward. Let's face it if they were gonna come forward they would of by now don't you all think?

So as I mentioned a few posts ago well quite a few posts ago the guitar is in need of repair unfortunetly its the bridge posts where they have worn thru the body over the years its affecting the action and intonation.

Can you guys point me to someone who might live near me in Essex UK? who is trustworthy and could repair the guitar? There has to be someone who can help me out and take a look. I to would like to see there guitar restored to its original state but I'd like to get it playing again first as I miss hearing it a lot.

I apologise again for not posting and would like to thank everyone for their advice and help on this. Hopefully with everyone's help we can get this guitar back and playing again.

Thanks guys

Paul

19 people like this.
  20. Gemm

Gemm Senior Member

Sent you a PM, Paul. ;)

1 person likes this.