Positioning of stop tailpiece posts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by f-hole, Jun 5, 2010.

1. f-hole

f-hole Member

Hi there,

Shameful noob question here, but can anyone please give me some guidance on where posts should be placed for a stop tailpiece... Stewmac plans indicate that the tailpiece should be square with the body, but I've never seen a LP like this - tailpieces always appear to be slightly angled.

So what is the best way to go about measuring holes for the posts before I start to drill? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. fly_with_v

fly_with_v Senior Member

I am not absolutely positive about the '59, but all my LP's the stop piece is square to the neck, however the bridge is not.

3. f-hole

f-hole Member

Hey thanks for the reply, Fly... It always looked to me as though the stop bar was *slightly* angled on the guitars I've played in the past. Maybe they just appear that way because of the angle of the bridge (a sort of optical illusion??).

Anyway, I always rationalized to myself that regardless of any bias in the angle of the stop tail, this can always be rectified when installing/intonating an angled TOM bridge. I just wanted to get some input from the good people in this chat room first!

4. RNBQ

RNBQ Member

You might have a look at this Thread on the other Forum

Apparently, the TP's were slightly angled on some of the older LP's (which would drive me nuts), so someone came up w/ these 'off-set studs' to compensate & make it look somewhat 'vintage correct'. I'd rather see a TP installed perpendicular to the neck, even though the angle is minimal!

5. f-hole

f-hole Member

Hey there, thanks for the comment - I couldn't get the link to work, but in my "research" before starting this thread I recall reading about the offset studs. I'm not interested in making a guitar that is necessarily 100% vintage correct - just good-sounding, good-looking and above all, playable. The consensus seems to be to go with a perpendicular stoptail, and I'm satisfied with that. Thanks!

6. Exluthier

Exluthier Senior Member

[​IMG] Vintage position

If you do it perpendicular the line will hit the neck vol knob.

7. The Laserist

The Laserist Senior Member

And why is that exactly? I asked this question a few months ago and spent a few posts debating the angle of the pics making it appear to be offset. I have 3 Les Pauls and all of the bridges are at different angles with respect to the tail piece. Is it something to do with setting the intonation? Seems that the bass side is always a little bit furthur away from the nut than the treble side. Just wondering about the reason it is set up that way.

8. Exluthier

Exluthier Senior Member

Wait you were debating the angle of the bridge? And yes it's angled for intonation reasons, same with acoustic guitars (if you look at the bridge saddle). The same angle will be reflected by the saddle position of guitars with bridges that are square like fenders etc.

9. The Laserist

The Laserist Senior Member

The people posting were under the impression that the angle of the photo was what made the differences so pronounced. Particularly between the 2 Epi LPs. One seemed to be about 3 degrees compared to the tail piece, the other looked to be more like 5 or 6 degrees. Just a rough guesstimate, seems like they should be closer being that they are the same guitars with the same number of frets and neck dimensions. Thanks for clearing it up for me. I thought that it had to be an intonation thing. These are the 2 pics that I was comparing.

Attached Files:

10. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

Well, this thread is now a mess. The tailpiece is usually at 90* to the CL of the neck. The bridge MUST be angled for intonation. So, CLARIFY your QUESTION!!! Briggs gave a decent intonation estimate for a bridge on a .625 scale. 1mm setback on the CL of the treble bridge post and 3mm setback for the bass side. This is not etched in hard eastern maple, but is a good example of the subtlety-it is on the small end of the common offset.ol

11. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Senior Member

Yes, the ToM has a limited range of adjustment for intonation so it needs helped a bit by the angle. The thicker/stiffer the core wire of a string the more intonation adjustment it needs so the bridge is always angled to give more length on the bass side.